Wilson Golf Balls

SeeMoreGuy

They Make 'em. I Buy 'em.
Reaction score
I was in the golf store and ended up talking with the Wilson Rep about their golf balls. We discussed the Zips and he explained how the whole Zero compression works so I picked up a dozen of the Zips. I had tried these last year and they pretty good but I always considered them a winter ball. He said that they are year round but most only use them for the winter. He told me they perform quite well during the summer as well. They are coming out with three new types of balls; C25, D25, D25 tour ( I think these are the names of them) These are supposed to be some excellent balls and I am sure to try them as well. They will be hitting stores on Dec. 1. I am sure THP will be reviewing them as well.

I actually like the Zips quite a bit for a cheaper ball. However I do know that a few folks here have reported lost distance with them.

So, how does the whole zero compression work according to the Wilson rep?

It is the actual core that tests at zero compression. With the two added layers ball tests at 50 compression, so it is the core not the ball that is actually zero. I sure thought it was the ball (guess thats what I get for thinking). The box says Zero Compression Core so I guess they are stating the truth. The Wilson guy explained how the testing is done but it was way too technical for me because I just want a ball that will go straight. The salesperson at the the store who is "science guy" said that if it was true zero compression the ball would move on its own. They were getting too close to Absolute Zero Theroies from my old science or chemistry classes so I just bought the balls and rolled out.

Thats what I need, a ball that moves on it's own!

Thats what I need, a ball that moves on it's own!
The W/S Zip does that! The first time I played it, on a nice summer day, the greens were 'baked' and fast, and the guy who had set the pins was in a bad mood that morning, putting them all on inclines. I had a terrible time trying to get the ball to stop near the hole. The Zip's unusually flat surface will keep it going and going and going.... I switched to the Topflite Gamer for the rest of the week, and the problem disappeared.

Last edited:
Ive found a few Zips out on the course and they actually arent bad, especially considering how inexpensive they are.
Id say they are very comparable to a Titleist NXT or Bridgestone E series, but less expensive.

I like the Zip, it plays pretty good, but I do lose come distance off the tee with it, and about a half club length or so with my irons. It feels good off the putter, and checks up reasonably well with the wedges.

The 50/50 is longer off the tee for me, where it should be with the irons, and still feels pretty good off the putter. It doesn't check up quite as well as the Zip though with the wedges, but is still acceptable for a 2 piece distance ball.

I have looked for the 50/50 ball and can't find it here in Vegas. I have been testing out different lower swing speed balls for about 3 weeks now and have kind of settled on either the Nike Crush or the Srixon Tri-Speed. The Srixon website keeps telling me I should be playing the Tri-Speed, but everytime I play a AD-333 I like it a little more. I have been playing the 2009 version of the AD-333 and there is a 2010 version I haven't tried yet, so the new version may be different in how it plays for me. I have gone through about 10 different balls in the last 3 weeks in testing with the Crush being tested this past weekend for 3 rounds.

What was your impression of the Crush? I looked at it this evening and will prob give it a try.

i used the wilson dx-2 softs for a while.

feel very soft, but a strange dimple pattern.

I had to buy balls when I arrived in Texas. I went to a place called Academy Sports, and purchased a dozen Wilson Zip balls for $9.99. I played with them the first round, carding a 79, so I have to say they are a good ball. I have played them before, and would not hesitate to play them again. I played a different "premium" ball the second day, (different course) of which a dozen were given to me. Did not score near as well, but this course always kicks my backside when I play it, plus it was on the wndy, and cool side. I was also in shorts. Today I will be playing what ever I pull out of my bag which has a mix of WS Zips, WS 50s, PRO V1s, and some E7s. Even though I have a favorite ball, I have known for years that the right ball for me is a mind game, since I am not not a consistently, "crisp" hitter of the ball. I can mix in "fatties", and "thinnies" with the best of them. :clapp:

I played the Zips today and walked away impressed. They were very soft and seemed to have less spin off my Driver and 3W which for me is good thing. I do beleive there was a little distance lost as compare to my Bridgestone TreoSoft but the ZIP is a 3 piece ball so that is probably to be expected.

I noticed the greatest difference around the greens. The Zip had a great feel and nice check up even too much on a couple of shots (probably user error)but coming off the putter it was incredible. I had a great day putting. I was draining 15-20 footers with severe breaks. The ball kept it line and when it did not go in I was close for the tap in second putt.

This is a great ball and I play it again over the weekend to see if it repeats this performance. The clubs I used today are ones I hardly play with so I cant wait to try it with the new sticks that should be here in the next week or so.

Thanks for the update Keith. When you play them again, let me know me if your thoughts are the same or if it was the putting was just working. Curious.

Yeah, I am curious too JB. I was using my SeeMore mfgp which I dont pull out that often.

What was your impression of the Crush? I looked at it this evening and will prob give it a try.

I used it again today for 9 holes and it is very close between this ball and the AD-333. I am going to try and find the new version of the AD-333 and see if there is a difference between the 2, otherwise I will probably play whichever is cheaper at the time as they are very close for me.

I used it again today for 9 holes and it is very close between this ball and the AD-333. I am going to try and find the new version of the AD-333 and see if there is a difference between the 2, otherwise I will probably play whichever is cheaper at the time as they are very close for me.

We just got a bunch of the new AD-333 in, I am looking forward to trying them out.

Zip or Fifty users: Have you ever noticed the glare that sometimes comes off these balls, when the star aligns? When I used it, perhaps once or twice per round I would get a tremendous reflection from a flat dimple, as if I had hit a big diamond into the fairway! :D

Played another 18 today with the Wilson Zips and had similar experiences as a couple of days ago. I was not striking the ball off the tee as well today still noticed an appreciable loss in distance. Wilson says it is a three-piece with similar compression of a two-piece ball, so with that I should expect to the get similar distances. I am probably a half club length shorter with these vs the Bridgestone Treo's which is a two piece. So there is a loss in distance with these balls. I also noticed more spin off tee shots than I had the other day and had some errant shots go to the right (ok I admit...they were slices).

I was similarly consistent hitting onto the greens. The spin is good off a short iron, wedge or Niblick. Where it really shined for me is off the putter. I had another great day (by my standards) on the green. I had 6 one-putts and all were from outside 10 feet. One thing I just thought about (as I was typing) was my grip on the putter...I started making a conscience effort to loosen my grip at the same time I began playing this ball and perhaps that is contributing to better putting the last two rounds. When I play tomorrow I will try another golf ball and see if I have similar results. I know when I am putting at home this golf ball is the softest off each my putters.

We just got a bunch of the new AD-333 in, I am looking forward to trying them out.

I like the AD-333's a lot. Used em for todays rd, very predicatable flight & durable.

I played both the Treo Soft and Zip today. I was hitting the driver well so I teed up two balls on a couple of holes. The first tee the Zip beat the TS by about 10 yards; next hole TS won by about 10 yards and the next four times the TS won each by about 7 yards. So the two piece was longer today.

Around the greens I mostly putted with the TS to see whether it was the ball helping with the putting or my new lighter grip. I gotta go witht the lighter grip as the reason for better putting. I had 6 one putts today, with all coming from within 10 feet. I had shorter putts largely due to better chipping which I primarlily did with the Wilson ball. I practiced chipping for about 20 minutes before playing today and it paid off. I was using my Adams Puglielli 52 and had some good success. I think the Niblick has helped me chip a little better.

I still like the feel of the Wilson and distance of the Treo and will probably keep using both on alternating rounds.

Back