Garmin Approach G5 GPS

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is the unboxing pictures of the Garmin G5. We got so many requests to review this one after our OnPar review that we wanted to make it happen. A review will be coming shortly on the home page. Let us know your thoughts on what you like and do not like about it here and if there are features you have questions about that you want covered in the review.

Edit: Here is our review as well.

The Hackers Paradise Garmin Approach G5 Golf GPS Review

723624554_khqdY-L-1.jpg

723624512_4SXjb-L-1.jpg

723624490_E8jEK-L-1.jpg

723624569_J6pHB-L-1.jpg

723624596_fX3cK-L-1.jpg

Last edited:
I can already tell you right now that I like that it uses regular batteries. Since it's a Garmin, what's going to happen with GolfLogix? What does the other end of the USB cable look like?

• Admin
Standard Smalls. The USB looks like every other one we have seen for GPS units. The battery thing is going to make some people very happy and some people very mad.

I don't know what standard is, but does it look like this? Wondering if the Garmin and the GolfLogix are the same and others are different. Maybe this IS standard!
(I'm talking about the part that plugs into the unit)

USB4.jpg

The cable is USB and has the same end on it that a Blackberry phone has as does numerous other devices.

Thanks Vegan. Guess the GolfLogix attachment is proprietary.

• Admin
I don't know what standard is, but does it look like this? Wondering if the Garmin and the GolfLogix are the same and others are different. Maybe this IS standard!
(I'm talking about the part that plugs into the unit)

USB4.jpg

723644559_NjNsf-L.jpg

Thanks JB. Same plug that fits in my phone.

Thanks Vegan. Guess the GolfLogix attachment is proprietary.

The GolfLogix cable connection is as it is for waterproofness.

Just to relieve a point, the GolfLogix is not distributed by Garmin. The hardware is essentially a Garmin eTrex, possibly with some minor modifications, but the programming and sales are done by GolfLogix. GolfLogix itself is not connected with Garmin.

Didn't think about the waterproofness. Good point. Yeah I know Garmin is different than GolfLogix, I was wondering what their next GPS would be like since it currently doesn't have graphics. Since Garmin has this cool graphics loaded GPS, is GolfLogix going to follow suit or risk losing out to Garmin? (I hope their next one has graphics to it)

Im a fan of Garmins devices in general but I dont really like the look of this one. Just looks big and bulky. Ugly too. How is the screen? I guess thats a review thing, so I'll wait. I like the idea of a color screen though. And what the big deal about regular batteries? I prefer rechargable so I dont have to hunt for fresh ones. Actually, the one I have is rechargable and can use AAA batteries too. Best of both worlds.

Hey, if I actually win it you wont hear a complaint about the cords or batteries....it beats the one I have which is my feet and the stakes on the course. Which one is the red.....100 or 150?

Hey, if I actually win it you wont hear a complaint about the cords or batteries....it beats the one I have which is my feet and the stakes on the course. Which one is the red.....100 or 150?

Unfortunately, this one is going back to the company, so we will not be giving it away.

I just bought one for myself as a Christmas present because of a really good deal. I have it sitting up on a high shelf at home almost out of sight (but not out of mind) and I am gritting my teeth trying to be patient to not open it until Dec 25th. I've also ordered directly from Garmin their "slip case".

For those interested in the deal that I mentioned, the retail locations of Dick's Sporting Goods has it on sale for $369.98 (not including sales tax) thru Saturday (Nov 27) within the greater Los Angeles area.

And this is really sweet too; each purchase of $300 or more will bag you a $150 Dick's cash card.

The sale price and the cash card MAY be available in other parts of the country too. You'll need to read up on their terms and conditions for the cash card.

Oh, and one last thing; answer the customer survey and score a $10 discount off a $50 or more purchase. Again, read up on their terms and conditions.

I'm looking forward to using that "free" money to either get a push cart or a 3-wood.

Wow that is a good deal. Regardless of size and heft this one has a much nicer screen then mine. Might have to check out my local Dicks Sporting Goods.

Im a fan of Garmins devices in general but I dont really like the look of this one. Just looks big and bulky. Ugly too. How is the screen? I guess thats a review thing, so I'll wait. I like the idea of a color screen though. And what the big deal about regular batteries? I prefer rechargable so I dont have to hunt for fresh ones. Actually, the one I have is rechargable and can use AAA batteries too. Best of both worlds.

The regular batteries I was talking about are the fact that it uses AA batteries (throw away OR rechargeable). The other kind is a special battery just for that device, so you have to make sure you have enough charge for the round. The other kind, you can just throw in a couple of new batteries if it dies on you.

I know what you mean. The one I have can use either kind. It has its special rechargable kind or you can throw in a couple AAA batteries. It is nice to have the option of using normal batteries.

Im on the fence about this type of battery though. I like the convenience of being able to use regular batteries, but I have had issues with them in the past on battery life. (not this device). The recharge style double a's never hold charges to well with my experience and GPS units and when they are dead, buying new batteries can get costly. I prefer the plug in style that you just plug it in after a round or 2 and you are good.

On the other side, the convenience of just being able to put a pack of batteries in your bag and using them until they are dead is quite nice.

That was one of the main factors that made me pick the GolfLogix over most of the SkyCaddies. Total price was the final decision. It was important to me to be able to use regular batteries.

As a Skycaddie owner, I can tell everybody that is on the fence, go with another company. I have had 3 and they work just fine. But charging for updates (they did that earlier in the year) to update us for features that every other GPS owner has, was the final straw for me.

They have a great course library, but the rest of the pack are gaining on them quickly. Far too many devices that are superior in my mind right now.

Oh the AA rechargable types are terrible. I agree with you on that. Mine (sorry I cant remember its name) is the kind you just plug in the device and charge it BUT you can also open it up, take out the battery pack and use regular batteries. Its actually pretty cool that way. I'll have to look it up and see what brand it is. Golf Buddy Pro, has the ugly non color screen but it works pretty well.

I see the Garmin is $369 at GG too. Which doesnt suprise since they are owned by Dicks Sporting Goods.

That was one of the main factors that made me pick the GolfLogix over most of the SkyCaddies. Total price was the final decision. It was important to me to be able to use regular batteries.

Im on the fence about this type of battery though. I like the convenience of being able to use regular batteries, but I have had issues with them in the past on battery life. (not this device). The recharge style double a's never hold charges to well with my experience and GPS units and when they are dead, buying new batteries can get costly. I prefer the plug in style that you just plug it in after a round or 2 and you are good.

On the other side, the convenience of just being able to put a pack of batteries in your bag and using them until they are dead is quite nice.

I've started using the Energizer Lithium AA's in my GolfLogix and I get as many as seven 18 hole rounds from 2 batteries. I buy them at Sam's Club for $19 a dozen. I don't know if it works out cheaper than with regular AA's, but the convenience of only needing to change them at most a couple of times a month is great.

I use the Lithium's in my camera too, and the ones in it have been there for most of the year without any sign of giving up. As far as I'm concerned, lithium is the only way to go for electronics stuff. :D

I use both style batteries in my Garmin. The regular ones will last 2.5 rounds basically, the rechargeable batteries will last about 3-4 rounds. I use my rechargeable most of the time and carry a 4 pack of regular in the bag in case I forget to recharge before I leave. If you use the score keeping feature or the measure your shot feature you will deplete the batteries quicker. As far as size it is about the same size as the rest, fits in the pocket fairly well or on the provided clip. The screen is easy to use, the only complaint I can come up with about it, is when you are in the green view mode and are repositioning the flag, it takes a few tries to get used to how it reads your finger touch. You are basically touching below the flag and the spot to where you drag it to. Other than that I have nothing but good things to say about it. I have only used it on a few courses, but they have all been in the database. The courses I play all have GPS on the carts that is as good as the handheld devices, so I don't use it a lot. In fact because the courses I play have the GPS on the carts I am thinking about getting a laser to use instead.

I have not taken it out for a test drive yet and will in the next day or two, but the size thing I can see for some. It is not really the same size as the two that many are looking at right now. It is quite thicker. If I compare it to either the UPRO or the Bushnell top of the line, you can see how much thicker. Here are a couple of pictures next to the Bushnell for comparison. In pockets, I could see this being an issue. It also weighs quite a bit more.

723976875_ddKzE-M-1.jpg

723976817_qFe8h-M-1.jpg

I use both style batteries in my Garmin. The regular ones will last 2.5 rounds basically, the rechargeable batteries will last about 3-4 rounds. . . The courses I play all have GPS on the carts that is as good as the handheld devices, so I don't use it a lot. In fact because the courses I play have the GPS on the carts I am thinking about getting a laser to use instead.

You get more rounds out of the rechargeables? I find it's just the opposite. Or I remember it being opposite. I haven't used the rechargeables in it for a while now.

The laser rangefinder is a nice complement to the GPS, I use mine quite often.

Back