Ladies Legend Tour Speaks Up

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Apparently these ladies had some very choice words for the current LPGA product and players in the field during the week. One of the LGPA fan favorites was called self serving, egotistical, and flat out bad the game. Another Hall of Famer said "that its about charisma and personality and most of the Asian players have none, and the American players are babies."

I am so sorry that I missed this event, but will not miss it next year.

LPGA legends ponder future of sport they helped build - Golf, PGA Tour - CBSSports.com PGA

While the LPGA Tour Championship was getting rained on in Texas and people were wondering if the LPGA Tour itself is all but washed up, a group of superstars gathered at Innisbrook Golf Club for the Legends Championship.

The names were familiar -- Pat Bradley, Sandra Haynie, Jan Stephenson, Betsy King and Patty Sheehan. Even "Big Mama," JoAnne Carner, was there to compete for the $50,000 top prize. And all of them had an opinion about the current state of women's golf.

"We were more connected with the fans," said Bradley, the Hall of Famer who won six majors. "We were more accessible. Now a lot of the players have borders around them, layers of agents and sponsors."

Betsy King, winner of seven majors, says 'it's hard to sell a tour where so many of the players don't speak English.' (Getty Images) It could be argued that the Legends Tour, open to professionals over 45, has more recognizable names than the LPGA does. After Lorena Ochoa and Michelle Wie, who do you know? Yes, Paula Creamer and Morgan Pressel -- have you heard of Cristie Kerr, the highest ranking American? After that, the list is filled with non-Americans, especially Koreans. The LPGA, fighting for its future, has decided to go global.

The overall number of LPGA tournaments is down to 24 next year -- from 34 only two years ago -- and only half of them will be played in the U.S. The LPGA, behind new commissioner Michael Whan, is looking to satisfy the sponsors of the 47 Korean players, as well as the 27 other non-Americans. Korean television is the LPGA's greatest source of support. Even Wie conducted part of her post-match interview last week in flawless Korean.

"Young American women have so many more choices now than we did," said Jane Blalock, the CEO of the Legends Tour. "But the United States isn't producing the top player anymore. Nancy Lopez was the last of her kind."

Wie happily won her first tournament two weeks ago, but that is a far cry from Lopez's debut. In 1978, she was both rookie and player of the year. American fans, with a year-round calendar of sports to choose from, tend to root for Americans. Gail Graham, who played in the Legends Tour Championship at Innisbrook, is the president of the LPGA Tournament Owners Association. And she is very concerned.

"Some U.S. corporations are even more interested in sponsoring LPGA events overseas than they are in sponsoring events here," said Graham. "They see great opportunity."

When Jan Stephenson first came on the scene, she was considered the "babe" of the tour. Babe Didrikson Zaharias, who founded the LPGA in 1950 -- making it the oldest professional sport for women in the United States -- would have been proud. Stephenson, now 57, was a terrific player. In nearly two decades on the Tour, she won 16 times. In 1983, she teamed with Fred Couples to win the JC Penny Classic in Largo, Fla.

"The LPGA is big business now, and it's hard to build up names you don't know," she said. "On the Legends Tour, we're the people you know."

Blalock played professionally for 36 years and won 27 tournaments. In 2000, she handpicked 25 players to put up $5,000 each to create a tour for the players, by the players. There is now a sponsor, Dr. Haruhisa Handa, a well known philanthropist and businessman from Japan.

"I think we had a golden era, not in terms of money but in terms of awareness," said Blalock. "We played in 30 tournaments, almost all in North America, and then we had a season where we travelled internationally. The LPGA was mostly a U.S. field. We thought of ourselves as role models."

The money they earned would make Michelle Wie laugh. Betsy King was the leading money leader in 1989 and made $650,000.

"But all of our tournaments were on network television," said King, a Hall of Famer who won seven majors. "It's difficult for the LPGA now. Everyone understands why they had to go global. It's hard to sell a tour where so many of the players don't speak English."

Bradley admires the young Koreans.

"They are driven, they want to be the best," she said. "Look at their culture, they stress excellence."

The women of the Legends Tour are memorable, having earned 65 major championships among them. Carner, a member of the World Golf Hall of Fame, is still smoking and snapping.

"I'm aggravated that I can't hit as long," said Carner, "but I can still putt. I'm 70 years old and I never got the yips."

While her putter doesn't stutter, she still has back issues, and her description of how she handles it brought out the kind of personality that fans are looking for in the game today.

"I get brutal back spasms," said Carner, "but I can still smoke and stretch."

Their opinions echo those of a lot of people. I agree wholeheartedly with this article.

Good article. Can't say I disagree with what was stated in it. Will have to wait and see how this "Legends Tournament Tour" works out.

Compared to the Champions tour, the Legends tour is puny. Very few events, most are on Mondays (one day tournies?), and the prize money won't cover costs. These women play because they love to play.

• Admin
Compared to the Champions tour, the Legends tour is puny. Very few events, most are on Mondays (one day tournies?), and the prize money won't cover costs. These women play because they love to play.

I agree with that completely. But if anybody has insight into the LPGA and the issues they having it is these women and they see things that us fans just do not see.

I agree with that completely. But if anybody has insight into the LPGA and the issues they having it is these women and they see things that us fans just do not see.

True, except I also see a bit of that pioneer resentment against the second generation. It's common and expected--that attitude of we broke the ground for you and you don't appreciate it.

• Admin
True, except I also see a bit of that pioneer resentment against the second generation. It's common and expected--that attitude of we broke the ground for you and you don't appreciate it.

Totally agree. But could it also be "we broke the ground for you and you are completely ruining it". I am not sure they are talking about appreciation, but rather how these players do not seem to get it.

• Admin
I also want to add that being vocal is what they need. They are right, the girls of today that are winning are either robots or not exactly endearing. It does not make the golf bad or not good entertainment, but it seems to be that is what the case is.

The same could be said for the PGA by the way. Swings are all the same. Personalities are all the same (somewhat), but we are seeing greatness and domination, and that always wins out. And in this country it helps that it is an American. Right or wrong, people want that.

They simply cannot identify with seeing another name they have never heard of win every week.

As I understand it, the senior ladies tour has been around since 2000. Their last tournament paid $50K for first place, with an over all pay out of about $300K. Another article I read compares this senior ladies tour to what the Champion's tour was to the PGA until Tiger showed up. It was established well known senior player names against (some what) no name PGA players.

The same could be said for the PGA by the way. Swings are all the same. Personalities are all the same (somewhat), but we are seeing greatness and domination, and that always wins out. And in this country it helps that it is an American. Right or wrong, people want that.

Have your reread A Good Walk Spoiled lately? Lousy editing aside, it's a great snapshot of the PGA just before Tiger Woods burst on the scene--the tour was floundering a bit. The current LPGA reminds me a bit of that.

Didn't even know there was a Ladies Senior tour. When is it on TV?

It sounds like sour grapes to me. If any of the Legends think the LPGA was a more attractive product when they were playing they're delusional. Betsy King's 6 wins that garnered her $650k 20 years ago would be good for 4-5 times that today. Inflation has not gone up 4-500% since 1989. And the LPGA hasn't had anyone like Tiger inflating the purses since then. And someone should tell King that they have more than 3 channels now. There's this thing called cable TV. They even have a channel that's exclusively devoted to golf.

It sounds like sour grapes to me. If any of the Legends think the LPGA was a more attractive product when they were playing they're delusional. Betsy King's 6 wins that garnered her $650k 20 years ago would be good for 4-5 times that today. Inflation has not gone up 4-500% since 1989. And the LPGA hasn't had anyone like Tiger inflating the purses since then. And someone should tell King that they have more than 3 channels now. There's this thing called cable TV. They even have a channel that's exclusively devoted to golf.

While that's true, they also had 30 tour stops (most of which were in the US) that were televised on the major networks. The current tour has a fraction of that on both counts. Used to be, I could turn on the tv and choose between the PGA, LPGA, and Senior tour on the weekend, often at the same time. Now you're lucky to see any but the PGA.

Compared to the Champions tour, the Legends tour is puny. Very few events, most are on Mondays (one day tournies?),...

And none are in California - in fact, Arizona is the farthest west that they travel. :bad:

I believe that is because most of the ladies live on the East coast.

I believe that is because most of the ladies live on the East coast.

That could be more for logistics than desire, although California's tax structure could also have more bearing than logistics. Florida was one of the last havens for the rich that didn't want to be taxed to death.

That could be more for logistics than desire, although California's tax structure could also have more bearing than logistics. Florida was one of the last havens for the rich that didn't want to be taxed to death.

that definitely plays a major role. Last I saw, more than half of the players on the Legends Tour resided at least part time in FL.

Back