Anyone play with traditional clubs just for fun?

BamBooBender

See-Moe
Reaction score
Handicap
My brain
I know this is THP where much of the focus is on trying out new stuff, and I totally enjoy trying out new gear whenever and wherever I can.

Sometimes, however, I enjoy playing with traditional equipment as well. There I said it. haha

Before this turns into a 'what is traditional' discussion, I'm talking about playing with clubs that were made before Kartsen Solhiem came along and messed everything up.

Just kidding, by traditional I mean muscle back irons and woods that are made out of wood (50's, 60's, 70's) That is what I consider traditional equipment based on my age and what was mainstream when I first got introduced to the game.

I play with old school equipment a couple of times a year, except for balls because they are too hard to find and I don't want to lose them. I have a lot of fun with it too.

I guess I'm just wondering if I'm the only one that does this. I do have to play a different game then I do with my new equipment, but my score doesn't really suffer all that much.

I would love to tee it up with the old school equipment that fascinated me as a youngster (early 70's vintage). I'd also love to try out some hickory shafted clubs from the era before clubs were steel shafted & numbered....spoons, mashies, cleeks, niblicks...It'd be a blast....horrible golf, but a blast none the less!

I have some old hickory shafted clubs also (mashie, Mashie-niblick, niblick, spoon, and driver), but have not played with or hit a golf ball. I would be too concerned about breaking them. The driver already got broke years ago when some stuff got accidentally knocked over in the garage. No one has ever fessed up to that. I have hit a few foam balls in the yard with the mashie though.

I have some old hickory shafted clubs also (mashie, Mashie-niblick, niblick, spoon, and driver), but have not played with or hit a golf ball. I would be too concerned about breaking them. The driver already got broke years ago when some stuff got accidentally knocked over in the garage. No one has ever fessed up to that. I have hit a few foam balls in the yard with the mashie though.

Yeah, I think I'd want to have ANY tendency to hit it fat suppressed before I swing some vintage hickory. Very cool that you have the hickory clubs, though!

Some THPers told me that some track in FL actually require all their players to use old timey clubs - mostly because it's an old track still playing at the same length. It sounded really charming though. I'd love to try it. Puring one of those on the fairway must just be one of the best feelings ever.

I did. Until about 1990. Actually used blade irons until 1992.

Some THPers told me that some track in FL actually require all their players to use old timey clubs - mostly because it's an old track still playing at the same length. It sounded really charming though. I'd love to try it. Puring one of those on the fairway must just be one of the best feelings ever.

That would be a blast. I wish they would have an event like that around here. I think people would enjoy it more than they realize.

It is great feeling to pure one, not because of some sort of magical property they have, but probably just nostalgia for me.

Hickory shafted driver....middle of the fairway....just like Bobby Jones. Yeah, that would be an awesome feeling, indeed!

I used mine up until a few years ago when I stumbled across THP...and got pulled into the darkside.lol

Hitting the old drivers reminds of how I do like the new drivers though, I hit the ball farther now than I did when I was in my twenties.

Hickory shafted driver....middle of the fairway....just like Bobby Jones. Yeah, that would be an awesome feeling, indeed!

That would be pretty awesome I think. If I had some reproduction clubs that wouldn't be likely to fly apart, and reproduction balls from that era, I'd definitely do it. Not that I would put it down the middle, but I would have fun trying.

I used mine up until a few years ago when I stumbled across THP...and got pulled into the darkside.lol

Hitting the old drivers reminds of how I do like the new drivers though, I hit the ball farther now than I did when I was in my twenties.

LOL, and still lol....

I would love to try to hit them sometime just to get a better understanding of how things once were. But hell, I can barely hit my Ping shovel irons to save my life as it is.

The first set of clubs I owned was an old blade iron set with wooden woods. I didn't know any better at the time. I just though that's the way all clubs were. I wish I still had them but I ended up breaking both the driver and 3 wood. And the irons were sold in a garage sale. Broke the driver while hitting a tee shot. Split the head right in two. Half of it went right, the other half left while the ball just sort of limped its way about 100 yds out. It was quite the site and extremely unexpected!

I have two sets of hickory-shafted clubs. We wacked wiffle-balls around the neighborhood with them a kids.

I have my Dad's hickory shafted putter. Would love to find out some information about it.

I used to have a wooden 4 wood that I loved! I hit that thing great for years.

I wish i still had my dads old lynx clubs. They were 80s, so not wood heads or anything. I do use my 300cc driver maybe once a year just to work on controlling my driver swing.

~Rock

I take my old 1980 Taylormade Tour Preferred musclebacks, Persimmon woods, and 1960's Bullseye putter out one or two rounds a year for fun. Funny thing is the Persimmon woods force you to swing in control and hit the sweetspot. I usually hit more fairways and shoot a fairly low round with my old set. They hang in the garage still inside my old 1983 high school team bag. Maybe I'll get them down and take them out today and show my 15 year old what I played growing up!

Last edited:
Been there and done that when the "traditional" clubs were current. No desire to go back in time. My hands still sting from my old Wilson irons.

I am going to have to see if my dad has still got his wooden woods. I know he has got his old irons (not hickory or anything like that) but can't remember what else was in the bag

I'm not giving up my modern clubs by any means. I'm not crazy, weird maybe, but not completely nuts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

i have never hit anything but titanium in drivers, I would love to try a wooden driver with a hickory shaft!

I use an old bladed 7 iron just for fun at the range. I never would want to go back to the old style drivers even if it was for fun.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

I take my old 1980 Taylormade Tour Preferred musclebacks, Persimmon woods, and 1960's Bullseye putter out one or two rounds a year for fun. Funny thing is the Persimmon woods force you to swing in control and hit the sweetspot. I usually hit more fairways and shoot a fairly low round with my old set. They hang in the garage still inside my old 1983 high school team bag. Maybe I'll get them down and take them out today and show my 15 year old what I played growing up!

This is what I am talking about. Total blast for me, makes me play the course very differently.

How did it go?

I wish i still had my dads old lynx clubs. They were 80s, so not wood heads or anything. I do use my 300cc driver maybe once a year just to work on controlling my driver swing.

~Rock

I have early 90's TM tour burner for doing the same thing. Can't get too crazy with that, the head is not much bigger than the ball. lol

Back