Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
Here are a few pics of the Titleist AP 1 irons that just arrived:

708159925_EZ8YJ-L-1.jpg

708159931_Tmo35-L-1.jpg

708159943_CoQDQ-L-1.jpg

Thats a nice looking iron.

correct me if i'm wrong but it appears that the cavity on the back is taking a little page out of the x-22 book?

still, sweet looking sticks.

It seems that way. But Titleist would never copy anything Callaway does....hehe

i can't wait for your review JB. last year's ap-1's were in the final three when i was testing irons. obviously i ended up with the x-22's (results won out, but i was partial to the ap-1's going in)

correct me if i'm wrong but it appears that the cavity on the back is taking a little page out of the x-22 book?

still, sweet looking sticks.
Looks a lot like the "powerbar" design that Mizunos use too but I agree, nice irons.
Id be half tempted to buy a set of AP1s if I were in the market for new irons.
I liked my DCI 981s but found them somewhat hard to hit well (not very forgiving), but it looks like nowdays Titleist is trying to make their lower-end irons more forgiving.

Those are pretty. How do they hit? I tried them out at the range, but had a bad range day and were hitting them pretty fat. When i did nail a good one though, it was pretty soft and went pretty far.

Here are some pictures from the course before our final testing.

725061895_Nai3K-L.jpg

725062071_N83at-L.jpg

725062036_XdJrE-L.jpg

725062272_ba7eH-L.jpg

725062198_aSrJ5-L.jpg

725062234_HbxKj-L.jpg

725062313_m76jU-L.jpg

The AP1's are fantastic sticks, there has been a bit of a learning curve for myself coming off the Cleveland Launchers & i'm not 100% there yet. But I am committed to them & it's paying off. They feel like butter when you hit the sweet spot & my distance is about 5 yds longer compare to the Clevelands. Off center shots aren't very forgiving though.

I have hit the AP1's and now these new AP1's and I, personally, cannot tell a difference. Some of our testers thought they felt a little softer, but to me, they are extremely similar in ball striking.

From the pictures they look identical to mine.

From the pictures they look identical to mine.

Do yours have the 710 on the hosel? Im wondering if maybe you have the new ones. Although like I said, other than the hosel, I cannot tell the difference.

From Titleist:

Titleist says that the new AP1 irons offer better feel, more forgiveness, and an improved shape with a thinner topline throughout the set and a shorter blade length in the short irons. The new feel is hotter and more lively.

Last edited:
Just dragged one of mine out & now I see the difference, mine are straight across at the cavity whereas these new ones have that little cutout area ot whatever it's called.

Mine are stamped 42lie on the hosels.

I like these irons quite a bit. They are solid and when well struck feel good. I would not put them in the same league as some others we have reviewed this year, but they are good high quality clubs. Review coming next week.

I like these irons quite a bit. They are solid and when well struck feel good. I would not put them in the same league as some others we have reviewed this year, but they are good high quality clubs. Review coming next week.

Do you like them better than the Burner 09's and/or the R9's?

Do you like them better than the Burner 09's and/or the R9's?

Not sure about the Burners, but no, not as much as the R9s. The R9s have much better feel to me. Both are quite good though. For me, the R9s had a different level of performance.

They are a close competitor to the Burners, but the Burners seem just a tad more forgiving to me.

The review on these irons will be up Thursday for everybody.

I noticed some mentioned short comparisons between the AP1 against the Burner 09 and R9's.

However, I was wondering in the forgiveness category, and along with the the 'straight hitting' category, which out of the following set's would you say are the most forgiving. Also, which of the below irons just want to hit the ball straight time and time again:

-AP1 710
-Burner 09
-R9
-CG7 BP
-MX-200

I'm currently gaming Ping S57's, prior to that had MP-32's, so I"m pretty sure which ever set I go with will be a heck of a lot more forgiving them what I'm used to. I'm looking into buying one of these sets in the new year but since I live in the North East my current priority is snowboarding any chance I get. Also, I was only able to hit the Burner 09 and the MX-200 in the simulator, which I hate, since I don't think it gives a good depiction of how the irons will perform in real world conditions ie. Grass. That is why I think this site is fantastic cause you formulate your reviews based on range time and more importantly course play. I know some of these sets have been reviewed on this site already but I'm pretty torn on which to get and I doubt I'll be able to actually demo/test out any of these irons out on grass (even in the summer months). Of course I will hit each of these irons on the LM in the store to get an idea of the numbers but again I much prefer real world testing.
So any input or feedback is much appreciated :)

The two most forgiving that you listed in your list for myself and the testers that we have used that have tried the irons are the Burners and the CG7 BPs. In fact I am not even sure it is very close between them. The other 3 offer some other things that these do not offer such as some more workability, but in terms of forgiveness, these two seem superior to me.

Wow! That response was scary fast :)

Thanks for the input. It's funny cause I've never owned a Cleveland product before and would have never even considered trying them until I read the review on this site. Don't think I've seen them in person before either at the golf shop here, so that'll be on my list when I head back there.

Wanted to know where you would rank the AP1's in comparison to the other irons listed?

Also, I'm very fond of PX shafts and want to stick with these shafts. I've played DG, KBS, rifle in the past but PX really suit my swing very well. I know none of these irons offer PX shafts stock so would all these irons have an up-charge to go with PX shafts in them and would you see any downside with this shaft/iron-head combo for any of the listed sets?

Shafts are a personal thing, so I am not sure about the head and shaft combo. Being that the irons are very different, I am not sure I can compare them all evenly as it is not really apples to apples. I consider Burners and CG7s game improvement irons and while the others are still cavity back and not true players irons, I consider them more of a blend. The AP1, R9, and MX-200 all kind of fit in that category.

can you compare the new nippon 105t shaft with nippon 100 that titleist offering.

I am now hitting titleist ap1 with nippon 100 r. Really like the ap1 and shaft combo. I am really interesting in the performance of new new shaft.

Back