LPGA vs. PGA Tour prize money

tahoebum

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I just looked up the 2012 LPGA final money list and was surprised that only 78 ladies made over $100,000 - after paying their caddy, taxes, and travel expenses, that's barely a living. I doubt if the 78th ranked female golfer has much opportunity for other golf sponsorship income either. The 100th ranked player made only $48k, less than the average California school teacher!

The 78th ranked guy on the PGA tour made $1,200,000 last year and #100 was DL III at $989,000, and he probably makes more than $1,000,000 from sponsors.

The women have it tough on the LPGA tour!!

Is anyone else surprised by this 20x pay difference?

I am surprised that they don't make more, though I have never been to a LPGA event to make the comparison with PGA popularity.

No, not surprised. When you watch the women events on TV you can see why they aren't paid as much. Looks like they don't even have 5000 spectators at most events, hard to pay big money when you can't get fans to the courses. I would assume they make more in endorsements over any prize winnings, even those finishing way down on the list that don't win tournaments. I tried watching Solheim Cup this weekend, but couldn't watch it. They make fools of themselves jumping around, silly stick on tattoos on their faces and bodies, it's actually pretty chilidish. Europeans were much more professional about the whole tournament.

It's all about sponsors. The LPGA doesn't have enough of them to increase the purses.

Frankly, the Asian-player issue has had an impact. Americans just aren't going to tune in to see 6 South Koreans fight it out. And if they're not tuning in, corporations aren't going to sponsor tournaments or increase purses. That's why the good play of players such as Stacy Lewis, Lizette Salas, Paula Creamer and others is so important. Getting more Americans or just more dynamic players of any nationality.

No, not surprised. When you watch the women events on TV you can see why they aren't paid as much. Looks like they don't even have 5000 spectators at most events, hard to pay big money when you can't get fans to the courses. I would assume they make more in endorsements over any prize winnings, even those finishing way down on the list that don't win tournaments. I tried watching Solheim Cup this weekend, but couldn't watch it. They make fools of themselves jumping around, silly stick on tattoos on their faces and bodies, it's actually pretty chilidish. Europeans were much more professional about the whole tournament.

I don't watch the LPGA either, but I'm still surprised that the 100th ranked player only made $48,000. Hardly any incentive to work your tail off for a career in golf. An average college grad is making about that within a couple years of graduation.

I tried watching Solheim Cup this weekend, but couldn't watch it. They make fools of themselves jumping around, silly stick on tattoos on their faces and bodies, it's actually pretty chilidish. Europeans were much more professional about the whole tournament.

Uh, other than a face
tattoo, I didn't see any differences. Europeans were encouraging their crowd (small though it was), and they were celebrating after great shots. They certainly played better, but I didn't see anything that was "more professional" about the European players.

Last edited:

Honestly when you look at the differences between men and womens sports, nothing the LPGA players do really surprise me at all. I look at baseball and softball. In softball games the teams have chants and everything that they yell out while playing. In baseball, most players don't really do any of the chants, they just watch and sometimes throw out a word of encouragement.

Either way, I enjoyed watching the Solheim Cup, a lot of great golf shots were hit by both teams.

they should try something new maybe.. play one event in bikinis? actually no im not sure I want to see all of them like that

I am surprised that they don't make more, though I have never been to a LPGA event to make the comparison with PGA popularity.

It's sad that they can draw 110K+ to the Solheim Cup (no prize money) yet the prize money for the other events is so small in comparison to other professional sports...

Pretty sure I saw the Europeans jumping around and encouraging their fans as well. They were especially jumping around when Anna Nordqvist had a hole-in-one on 17th in the Saturday morning matches to clinch her match and deservedly so.

The LPGA is suffering from serious sponsor issues. The LPGA has been coming to Rochester for the last 35 years and it was seriously threatened this year of losing its major sponsor here - Wegman's. Fortunately Wegman's is remaining on and they are now moving the tournament to different courses in the Rochester area. The popularity difference between the PGA and the LPGA has always been there, but I believe the LPGA lost some serious ground when Carolyn Bivens was the commissioner. Michael Whan is made some great strides, but has a long ways to go. Like Wadesworld mentioned - players like Stacy Lewis, Paula Creamer, Lexi Thompson and others will go along way to the tour gaining some ground.

It is unfortunate. But, it's all based on TV viewership. Watching the Solheim Cup everyday this weekend, the crowds seemed pretty sparce. But, some of that is/was due to the terrain of that particular course.

The other negative to LPGA is how they are pushing expansion outside of the US. The travel budgets for the ladies is probably 2-3x what the men's budget is.

However, the ladies in the top 100 also have sponsorship deals, do corporate outings, etc. So, they are banking some outside of the ropes.

Pretty sure I saw the Europeans jumping around and encouraging their fans as well. They were especially jumping around when Anna Nordqvist had a hole-in-one on 17th in the Saturday morning matches to clinch her match and deservedly so.

The LPGA is suffering from serious sponsor issues. The LPGA has been coming to Rochester for the last 35 years and it was seriously threatened this year of losing its major sponsor here - Wegman's. Fortunately Wegman's is remaining on and they are now moving the tournament to different courses in the Rochester area. The popularity difference between the PGA and the LPGA has always been there, but I believe the LPGA lost some serious ground when Carolyn Bivens was the commissioner. Michael Whan is made some great strides, but has a long ways to go. Like Wadesworld mentioned - players like Stacy Lewis, Paula Creamer, Lexi Thompson and others will go along way to the tour gaining some ground.

I think the sponsorship issue is due to the fact that most don't want to watch women's golf any more than they want to watch WNBA basketball or women's softball.

I think the sponsorship issue is due to the fact that most don't want to watch women's golf any more than they want to watch WNBA basketball or women's softball.

I think it can be more popular than it currently is. They need their own American Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson to have some epic battles that people can find compelling. I'm not saying it will ever approach the popularity of the men's game, but it could be stronger than it currently is. One problem is that their brightest star right now (Stacy Lewis) is about as exciting as watching paint dry. She appears meek and without personality and doesn't have the dry humor that attracts people to say, Jason Dufner.

they should try something new maybe.. play one event in bikinis?

Only if PGA players play an event in speedos!

Why should LPGA players be taken any less seriously than PGA Players? They are all playing at a level that's beyond most of us mere mortals.

There are some major generalizations in this thread. But here is a stat. Well over 100,000 people were at the Solheim this weekend. So clearly someone is paying attention and wanting to see it.

The LPGA had their Tiger versus Phil with Annika and Lorena but they retired early. I enjoy watching the LPGA on TV but it is a niche sport.

The LPGA had their Tiger versus Phil with Annika and Lorena but they retired early. I enjoy watching the LPGA on TV but it is a niche sport.

I enjoy watching the LPGA because their game seems more human.

I'm not surprised. Its unfortunate, but it is what it is.

I enjoy watching the LPGA because their game seems more human.

That is one of the main reasons I watch as well, their distances are very similiar to an average hacks. I like to see how they would play a shot I might face.

There are some major generalizations in this thread. But here is a stat. Well over 100,000 people were at the Solheim this weekend. So clearly someone is paying attention and wanting to see it.

The Solheim cup makes millions in profits, but I don't think the LPGA players get any of those profits. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the ladies don't get a $200,000 donation to charity for playing in the Solheim Cup like the men do for playing in the Ryder cup.

I'm not shocked, though I do think the LPGA is growing. I remembered even when I started watching golf, you barely ever saw TV coverage and I'm not even that old.

The LPGA Tour is here this weekend for the Canadian Open. The last time it was here the players were commenting on how it drew more people than even the majors. I will find out the attendance once it's over. I enjoy watching it and will be there this week.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

There is no comparison on attendance at the two events. I have been to the local PGA tour event, the AT&T tournament in MD, which I don't consider a high profile PGA tour stop & there was at least 10X the amount of people there than when I used to go see the woman play the LPGA McDonalds at Bulle Rock, MD...which is a LPGA major.

The LPGA Tour is here this weekend for the Canadian Open. The last time it was here the players were commenting on how it drew more people than even the majors. I will find out the attendance once it's over. I enjoy watching it and will be there this week.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Have fun! Hope you get a chance to post some daily recaps.

I agree. Most women's sports don't compare in viewership or interest to the regular sports fan in the U.S.

LPGA vs PGA is almost like two different sports. LPGA players are great....but they lack the power to hit shots out of the rough the way the men can. Plus there is no Phil or Tiger that can pull off the dramatic shot. When Tiger or Phil are in the hunt it is "must see" TV.

Watching the women hit fairways and greens is great golf...but can get boring to watch on TV.

Back