Game Improvement Irons Question

nmcdgt

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys,

I've been wanting to learn how to play golf for a number of years, and I finally have the time and money, so I'm looking for a good first set of clubs to buy to learn on (and probably take lessons with). I've been to one of my local golf shops and tried out several irons (RocketBladez, Ping G15, JPX-800, JPX-825, and Nike VR_S Covert), and at the moment I've narrowed it down to Nike VR_S Covert and Mizuno JPX-825 irons. My fundamentals are weak, so I was unable to notice a big difference in personal performance between the two sets when I tried them out.

I've done a ton of research and tried them both out in person (and really liked both), but would love to get some feedback from you guys on what you think the better choice would be. Of course, I'm also open to other suggestions. I found a set of new Nike VR_S Covert Irons (4-AW, PW) for $360, so that is what I've been leaning toward at the moment (as it seemed like a great deal), but I'll gladly spend a little bit more for the JPX-825's if you guys think it's worth it.

Thanks!

I've never used them myself, but I know a lot of people on the forum love the Cleveland Altitude irons. Personally I've enjoyed my Adams iron sets which include hybrids for the long clubs and transition hybrids for the mid clubs. I think you're off to a great start actually hitting the clubs instead of blindly asking for advice on what works for someone else's swing.

Hard to say for sure what will be best in the long run. Your swing will change somewhat as it starts to feel more natural and what feels or works well right now may change down the line. I would gravitate towards a quality used set of irons that can get you through a season or so and invest the real money on your next set when you know what suites you best. The fact is, unless you're a freak of nature you are going to hit some really ugly shots at first no matter what you're using.

Welcome to the forum and the game!

I would pick up what ever you hit better(straighter) and feel good to you now and is in your price range. Getting the right flex and length will be a big help to you as you learn the game.

Many here will tell you to get fitted for them and if this is an option it is a good idea but your swing is gonna change as you learn the game. I would recommend getting lessons. a basic intro to golf series of lessons will do you wonders on learning grip, stance, posture, swing and etiquette on the course. learning the proper fundamentals before you create bad habits is a good idea and will save you frustration later on.

Cleveland Altitudes, TaylorMade Burner 2.0's, or the Mizuno's you mentioned would all be great choices for a game improvement iron.

Welcome to the exciting ride of learning the game of golf. I was in a similar position as yourself two years ago. I went to a local golf shop here and hit a handful of clubs as well (some the same as the ones you did). When I did it, I narrowed it down to two, one of them the G15's. I ultimately ended up going with the Ping's and am very happy with my decision. But for the first year plus, I really "fought" them week in and week out. Part of it was a change in my swing from a handful of lessons and the other part since I had never had a real solid set of clubs. My opinion, is go and hit the few you narrow it down to a few times over a couple weeks. What may feel great one day, may not the next. Based on those results, pick the one you feel you hit best over those couple times. Also, no matter what you choose, these are great clubs and you can't go wrong. As you learn the game you will go through many sets of clubs to make you better... So it is unlikely that you can make a bad choice from that list. Good luck and make sure you let us know how everything goes!

Welcome to the game that will punish you and reward you all in the same round.

Like others have said, go with what you hit the straightest and feels most natural to you. Id recommend taking a lesson or two before you decide to get serious about the game. It can nip alot of the bad habits in the bud before you even start.

Both sets that you have mentioned are great irons, so honestly, go with the ones that match what you want and your price range.

I agree with most of the comments. The funny thing about a "which club" thread is many of the answers you will get are based on personal preference. That is to say people will recommend what is in their bag. Get fitted, try as much equipment out as you can, and buy what feels and looks the best to you at address. All of the top makers offer a quality selection so it comes down to personal preference. Lessons at this point will help your game improve probably more than a club selection (as long as you aren't buying blades, lol). Regardless of the club choice you will experience ups and downs. Good luck in your search for new equipment.

The Altitudes would be a good option. But between the Nike and Mizuno irons you mention, the Mizuno's are going to be more refined, best way I can say that. The Covert Irons for that price would be a very good option for a golfer at your station in my opinion. I don't know if you would notice any benefit from the Mizunos to be honest.

I have hit the Nike's before and liked them, and I always thought the JPX-825s suited my eye better, but then, I don't play GI irons (even though I probably should). As between the two, many places will give you a free fitting if you actually buy the irons from them. It may be a good idea to get both sets on a launch monitor and see what the numbers tell you. Plus, you get the added benefit of having whichever set you get fitted to you, such as lie angle and what not.

If the numbers look the same, I'd say just go with the cheapest set, so you can take the savings and use it on something else. From what I've heard, they're both a great set of irons. Good luck!

~Rock

Welcome to THP! I second all that has been said. I would only add, get fitted. Usually, the price of the fitting is included if you buy the clubs. Best of luck! And, enjoy!!!!!

Whatever feels good in your hands. I would suggest looking at Adams A12 or Cleveland Altitude irons. There are many more that would be great but like everyone has said pick what feels good to you. Just remember through lessons your swing will change so try to buy used first.

I am actually a fan of the Coverts when paired with the Kuro Kage graphite shafts. If you like them I think they are a good option.

Everyone is right when they say get the ones that feel best. As for me, though, the Mizzies are prettier but the Nikes are easier to hit. I would get the Nikes. Just my $.02.

As a fairly new golfer, I did exactly what you plan on doing and wish I had done it a little differently. If I were to do it all over again I'd pick up a decent quality, yet inexpensive, complete box set like Wilson for $150 from somewhere online like rockbottomgolf.com. It will come with every club you need to get started and learn with, once you feel that you can improve with better clubs then go get fitted and drop the $$ on what works for YOU. Lofts, shafts, etc..

Just throwing out another option for you, I honestly wish I had gone this route. As Sposey said, you swing will change as you improve, so what works now may not be best for you later.

Welcome to the game & the forum.
I have a set of Covert irons and have been pretty happy with them but like many have said, hit both sets & see what gives you the best performance.

I'm going to say pick up a great set of used SGI irons for a good deal, and that way you can move into whatever clubs fit you best once you get used to the game and develop "your" swing. When I started I picked up a set of Callaway X18 irons for really cheap, and 6 months later bought a set of custom fit irons.

Di11's can be had DIRT CHEAP right now, and there were quite a few members who raved about those irons.

It's really a personal preference for you which irons feel better to you and which ones look better at address. Also if you haven't try hitting these irons out on the range to get a better feel of them look for demo days in your area!

Take all of our well meaning advice for what it's worth. What works best for Joe may not work worth a darn for Jack. Don't buy anything without hitting it first.

If it is completely down to a choice between the two, the Mizunos are a club your game could 'grow' into better than the Nikes, but that is just my opinion. It's also important, I believe, to like how a club fits your eye. If one looks better to you than the other and makes you feel more confident standing over the ball, that is something to consider in your decision.

Good luck!

I would like to throw out there the Adams A12OS, my very first complete set. Buy what feels right and gives you confidence over that ball. Preferably purchase a used set.

I would throw out the Cleveland 588 MTs. They are more traditional looking than the Altitudes, but still offer tons of forgiveness and distance. They are very cheap for a current model set too.

If I were starting today I would do what someone else suggested...(assuming you arent extremely tall/short/weak/strong) buy $150 box set from Wal-mart and use the rest to practice/play/lessons. There is no point is buying expensive clubs taylored to a swing that will undoubtedly drastically change very quickly.

I have the 2008 R7 CGB Max irons and love them. I'm a big of a brand ***** and personally stick with Taylormade, but still adore my old Ping set as well.

If you're just starting out, it might be best to go to a Golfsmith/Roger Dunn/Golf Galaxy, and get a nice used set. You could easily go there and try several sets out and find what works best for you. Also make sure you check out your swing speed on the launch monitor and have one of the pros in the shop advise you on what shaft flex is best for you. If you have a fast swing, even one that needs a lot of development, you'd have a terrible time trying to make do with a soft flexed shaft.

I will chime in with what others have said and say the Burner 2.0's are a great iron set and can be found very cheap online.

Di11's can be had DIRT CHEAP right now, and there were quite a few members who raved about those irons.

This. I got mine for under $200 shipped, and I am convinced that there is not a better beginner/SGI iron available, at any price.

I'm pretty sure i'll be in the minority but I would say don't get fitted, and buy the cheapest possible decent set. This is if you're completely new. Chances are your swing will change a lot during a lesson. Eventually once you get a pretty solid swing down, should you get fitted?...absolutely. You'll probably even want to upgrade at that point. But I got fitted, went 3* flat, then had lessons and had to get them rebent to standard afterwards, and probably get bet again when i go for another fitting eventually.

Back