Vacation in Charleston SC

coers

@andrewcoers
Reaction score
Groveland,IL Central Illinois/Just south of Peoria
Handicap
I will be down in Charleston this week for vacation for my friend who will be commissioning in the Marine Corps. I will be his first salute in my Army class A's. Well I'm of course bringing my clubs with me to play some golf there with him and his family. Well just wanted to see if anyone on here is from around there and will recommend any courses there. I know I want to play the Ocean course where the 2012 PGA Championship was last year. So let me know what you think.
Thanks
Coers

Wild Dunes

I will be down in Charleston this week for vacation for my friend who will be commissioning in the Marine Corps. I will be his first salute in my Army class A's. Well I'm of course bringing my clubs with me to play some golf there with him and his family. Well just wanted to see if anyone on here is from around there and will recommend any courses there. I know I want to play the Ocean course where the 2012 PGA Championship was last year. So let me know what you think.
Thanks
Coers

If you want to play the Ocean Course, it's going to be pretty expensive (probably >$300) if you don't stay on Kiawah. If you stay on that island, the rates are lower. You could also play one of the other Kiawah courses in the morning and then pay the "replay" rate for the Ocean Course in the afternoon which is lower than the regular rate, if you have your heart set on playing the Ocean Course.

The courses in Charleston are fairly spread out, it's not like Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head in terms of proximity of courses to one another. If you know what part of Charleston you're staying in, post that here and I can help you out with some course recommendations, I lived there from 2001-2008.

JB which of these do you recommend at the sand dunes Links Course and Harbor Course? And we are staying over at [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SUMMERVILLE SC holiday inn there. And I know my friend lives in Goose Creek so probably somewhere over there. I work with Brian aka bhillin and he told me to make sure I bring my clubs there for some fun course. Wish I was little closer to the true blue plantation and I would defiantly play that. [/FONT]

JB which of these do you recommend at the sand dunes Links Course and Harbor Course? And we are staying over at [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SUMMERVILLE SC holiday inn there. And I know my friend lives in Goose Creek so probably somewhere over there. I work with Brian aka bhillin and he told me to make sure I bring my clubs there for some fun course. Wish I was little closer to the true blue plantation and I would defiantly play that. [/FONT]

At Wild Dunes: Links Course is closer to the water with 17 and 18 right out by the ocean, but has more water throughout that course. Harbor Course is a little shorter and tighter, but I've enjoyed both courses.

Just so you know, staying in Summerville, you're looking at close to an hour or so to get to the Ocean Course at Kiawah.

Here are 2 good courses in Summerville:
http://www.legendoaksgolf.com/
http://pineforestcountryclub.com/

Man legend oaks golf course looks really nice. Would be interesting on hitting a drive and having a alligator right next to you. And looks like alot of water so that should make it pretty challenging. And I see the other course is semi private, so I imagine thats going to be a $100 course.
At Wild Dunes: Links Course is closer to the water with 17 and 18 right out by the ocean, but has more water throughout that course. Harbor Course is a little shorter and tighter, but I've enjoyed both courses.

Just so you know, staying in Summerville, you're looking at close to an hour or so to get to the Ocean Course at Kiawah.

Here are 2 good courses in Summerville:
http://www.legendoaksgolf.com/
http://pineforestcountryclub.com/

JB which of these do you recommend at the sand dunes Links Course and Harbor Course? And we are staying over at SUMMERVILLE SC holiday inn there. And I know my friend lives in Goose Creek so probably somewhere over there. I work with Brian aka bhillin and he told me to make sure I bring my clubs there for some fun course. Wish I was little closer to the true blue plantation and I would defiantly play that.

I prefer the Links course.

Sounds good, I will throw it out to my friend if he's up to a real challenge of a course. You recommend bringing extra balls lol.
I prefer the Links course.

Wild Dunes

I have just recently been for a ride around the Wild Dunes course. it looked a bit tight in some places, and maybe not as pristine as some courses in the area, but the layout looked very cool.

Sitting on Isle of Palms, it's an experience worth having in my opinion.

20130729_175152.jpg

20130729_175117.jpg

looks nice, hopefully ill get there
I have just recently been for a ride around the Wild Dunes course. it looked a bit tight in some places, and maybe not as pristine as some courses in the area, but the layout looked very cool.

20130729_175152.jpg

20130729_175117.jpg

Well its not looking good for gold down here now. It just keeps on raining and raining. Hopefully tomorrow or Saturday I'll be able to play.

20130729_175152.jpg

20130729_175117.jpg

I'm almost certain that those pix are of some of the holes on the Harbor course. The Links course is just a little further north. I think that they both look great, and I'm still disappointed in myself that I didn't take advantage of playing either of the courses when we stayed there Spring 2012.

How about Patriot's Point?

Charleston is such a cool place man, you're going to love it. I haven't golfed there so I have no input on that but if you guys are planning on going to any nice dinners you have to try High Cotton. It is seriously amazing.

Thanks highcotton. We will have to look into that place. Well right now were hoping it doesn't rain tomorrow to since it has been since we have been here on Thursday. 70% chance tomorrow so probably wont be able to play :(
Charleston is such a cool place man, you're going to love it. I haven't golfed there so I have no input on that but if you guys are planning on going to any nice dinners you have to try High Cotton. It is seriously amazing.

Thanks highcotton. We will have to look into that place. Well right now were hoping it doesn't rain tomorrow to since it has been since we have been here on Thursday. 70% chance tomorrow so probably wont be able to play :(

You could always just deal and play at Charleston Muni on James Island, just across the river. I've always been interested to hear how that place plays, since it is dirt cheap.

I live in Charleston and there some great courses in the area. Stono Ferry comes to mind as one of the better public access courses. It was the 2011 South Carolina Club of the year. Back 9 has some beautiful holes right along the riverfront. Also, I wouldn't waste your time with Muni. It's fun to play the back 9, but the front is pretty boring and it's typically busy. In a pinch, it works but not at the top of anyone's must play lists. As for Summerville courses, Legend Oaks is a winner and Pine Forest is cool, but tough. They have softened it some to make it more playable, but there is water on a lot of holes so be warned. Coosaw Creek and Westcott Plantation are both in the Summerville area. Westcott is 27 holes and typically in good shape. Coosaw is tight off the tee and requires some shot shaping. Goose Creek has a pretty tough challenge in Crowfield Golf Club. It's a city owned course that is pretty tight with out of bounds not too far off of just about each fairway. Good condition (for a city course) the last time i played there. Mount Pleasant has more of the upscale offerings in Charleston. Dunes West is easier but typically in good shape. Rivertowne is probably my favorite Charleston area course. Before she retired, Annika Sorenstam hosted her tournament here. They lost their greens a few months ago, but they are getting better. Still a few rough spots, but playable. They aerated a couple weeks ago so I would say they should be coming back soon. Charleston National is a fun test as well. Nice marsh views and such. Wild Dunes are both fun courses. I won't go over those, as others have spoke to them pretty accurately. Typical resort courses though. If you are for sure playing Kiawah Ocean Course (which is awesome and I recommend walking it for your first time) it is pricey. There are several other courses on Kiawah that are all pretty good. Seabrook Island has 2 courses that are not bad either right beside Kiawah. Hope that helps and feel free to message me for any advice. I will make one recommendation for food. Oak Steakhouse has probably the best steaks you can get from a restaurant. Everyone person I take there, loves it. If you are a beer drinker, there is a good spot in Summerville called Homegrown Brewhouse (http://www.homegrownbrewhouse.com). Nothing fancy, but they have 40 taps of various LOCAL SC beer (and some national favorites as well). It's all about the beer there.

Was down there in February and got to play Charleston National Golf Course. Really liked the layout of the course.

Also played Crowfield Golf and Country Club which is in Goose Creek, SC right outside of Charleston. Another great course that was $15 to walk after 1 pm and for that price - was an absolute steal.

I live in Charleston and there some great courses in the area. Stono Ferry comes to mind as one of the better public access courses. It was the 2011 South Carolina Club of the year. Back 9 has some beautiful holes right along the riverfront. Also, I wouldn't waste your time with Muni. It's fun to play the back 9, but the front is pretty boring and it's typically busy. In a pinch, it works but not at the top of anyone's must play lists. As for Summerville courses, Legend Oaks is a winner and Pine Forest is cool, but tough. They have softened it some to make it more playable, but there is water on a lot of holes so be warned. Coosaw Creek and Westcott Plantation are both in the Summerville area. Westcott is 27 holes and typically in good shape. Coosaw is tight off the tee and requires some shot shaping. Goose Creek has a pretty tough challenge in Crowfield Golf Club. It's a city owned course that is pretty tight with out of bounds not too far off of just about each fairway. Good condition (for a city course) the last time i played there. Mount Pleasant has more of the upscale offerings in Charleston. Dunes West is easier but typically in good shape. Rivertowne is probably my favorite Charleston area course. Before she retired, Annika Sorenstam hosted her tournament here. They lost their greens a few months ago, but they are getting better. Still a few rough spots, but playable. They aerated a couple weeks ago so I would say they should be coming back soon. Charleston National is a fun test as well. Nice marsh views and such. Wild Dunes are both fun courses. I won't go over those, as others have spoke to them pretty accurately. Typical resort courses though. If you are for sure playing Kiawah Ocean Course (which is awesome and I recommend walking it for your first time) it is pricey. There are several other courses on Kiawah that are all pretty good. Seabrook Island has 2 courses that are not bad either right beside Kiawah. Hope that helps and feel free to message me for any advice. I will make one recommendation for food. Oak Steakhouse has probably the best steaks you can get from a restaurant. Everyone person I take there, loves it. If you are a beer drinker, there is a good spot in Summerville called Homegrown Brewhouse (http://www.homegrownbrewhouse.com). Nothing fancy, but they have 40 taps of various LOCAL SC beer (and some national favorites as well). It's all about the beer there.

I didn't realize that Crowfield Golf Club was city owned. I am more impressed with that course after learning that.

Forgot about Stono Ferry as well. That was one we tried to play but couldn't get a tee time on the day we wanted to play.

I didn't realize that Crowfield Golf Club was city owned. I am more impressed with that course after learning that.

Forgot about Stono Ferry as well. That was one we tried to play but couldn't get a tee time on the day we wanted to play.

I agree. They have done well with a city government budget. Definitely make a point of playing Stono Ferry. It's great!

Well we are back home from Charleston SC. We ended up eating at many places there like fleet landing, some fancy Italian restaurant in Summerville and Gilligans. And with all the rain and cloudy days it was rough getting a game a golf in. Well we finally had sometime Saturday when it didn't rain for a while and we made it to Legends Oaks in Summerville.
When we got there we pulled up and club house was in a nice setting with a bunch of trees and friendly folks inside to help us. There were four of us and we got a golf cart with a gps system on it. Also we just played nine holes as we got there close to 6PM. But anyways. I thought the course was nice and open and great scenery. Definitely was a change up from central Illinois. But the fairways were nice and worked but were just soft with all the rain they have had. Sand traps were in good shape to along with the tee boxes. They had black, gold, blue, white, and red tees. We ended up just playing the white tees since we were in a hurry.
The only bag thing I found when playing there was the greens and the golf cart. The greens of course were all sandy and had many bare spots with no grass on them. So trying to read a putt was almost not worth it as then green would take the ball wherever there was a bare spot. Second problem was the GPS on the golf cart. The darn thing never seemed to work and most of the time never had signal. Now I don't know if it was having issues because of the Clouds or what. So we just went with the scorecard and guesstamation.
But overall I thought it was a pretty average front nine and forgot the fun part. On the second hole is a small par four and has a pond next to the green. Well driving up to the green to hit my ball I found some friends. Ended up having about three alligators on the course next to the pond. I thought that was pretty cool, and something I definitely don't see here in central Illinois. But if anyone is the area of Charleston/Summerville area you should give the Legends Oaks Golf Course a try.
Here are some Pictures I took from the Course.
IMG_20130817_185346_099.jpg
IMG_20130817_190907_486.jpg
IMG950140.jpg
IMG950144.jpg
IMG_20130817_173142_982.jpg

I wish I would have gotten this last week lol. But thanks for the suggestions. I imagine someone else going there will use this or I will next time I am down there.

It's that time of year where most of the courses are punching the greens so they are typically sandy and bumpy. Given the amount of rain Charleston has had this summer, I'm surprised Legend Oaks survived, as that course typically doesn't drain well. Glad you had a good time!

Here is a pic of me with a gator at #9 green of Kiawah Turtle Point.

library

Well we are back home from Charleston SC. We ended up eating at many places there like fleet landing, some fancy Italian restaurant in Summerville and Gilligans. And with all the rain and cloudy days it was rough getting a game a golf in. Well we finally had sometime Saturday when it didn't rain for a while and we made it to Legends Oaks in Summerville.
When we got there we pulled up and club house was in a nice setting with a bunch of trees and friendly folks inside to help us. There were four of us and we got a golf cart with a gps system on it. Also we just played nine holes as we got there close to 6PM. But anyways. I thought the course was nice and open and great scenery. Definitely was a change up from central Illinois. But the fairways were nice and worked but were just soft with all the rain they have had. Sand traps were in good shape to along with the tee boxes. They had black, gold, blue, white, and red tees. We ended up just playing the white tees since we were in a hurry.
The only bag thing I found when playing there was the greens and the golf cart. The greens of course were all sandy and had many bare spots with no grass on them. So trying to read a putt was almost not worth it as then green would take the ball wherever there was a bare spot. Second problem was the GPS on the golf cart. The darn thing never seemed to work and most of the time never had signal. Now I don't know if it was having issues because of the Clouds or what. So we just went with the scorecard and guesstamation.
But overall I thought it was a pretty average front nine and forgot the fun part. On the second hole is a small par four and has a pond next to the green. Well driving up to the green to hit my ball I found some friends. Ended up having about three alligators on the course next to the pond. I thought that was pretty cool, and something I definitely don't see here in central Illinois. But if anyone is the area of Charleston/Summerville area you should give the Legends Oaks Golf Course a try.
Here are some Pictures I took from the Course.
IMG_20130817_185346_099.jpg
IMG_20130817_190907_486.jpg
IMG950140.jpg
IMG950144.jpg
IMG_20130817_173142_982.jpg

Let's try this pic thing again :)

300209_2360576903786_597608912_n_zps4b764bdf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Still not seeing anything

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Let's try this pic thing again :)

300209_2360576903786_597608912_n_zps4b764bdf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ok the PiC is finally able to see. That's a decent size gator. Good thing I just seen baby ones.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Back