coming back after long layoff...

chicogolf

This game's fun GDit
Reaction score
Handicap
Greetings

(I originally posted this in the wrong sub-forum, it seems; apologies)

----

I am getting back into golf after a long layoff. I am 42 and played a fair amount in my 20's and early 30's. Lowest I got was a 13 handicap. I've played about 5 rounds and have hooked up with my old instructor to try and get my swing back. One lesson so far and - shocking - same crap I was doing 15 years ago...right thumb and forefinger too active, grabbing the club on the way down and not swinging from the core, not consistently finishing with good tempo, etc.

My equipment is, obviously, old. Tour Edge comp 950 irons (steel shafts) and Tour Edge "bazooka" 3, 5, and driver. All of it is at least 10 years old, I think. Maybe 15. I picked up a Rocketbalz stage 2 9.5 driver, reg shaft for $120 on a lark, so who knows if that thing is the right club for me.

So my questions:

(1) I've done some searching and have read a lot about proper fittings, etc. At what point in this return should I consider upgrading my equipment? Once I get my swing back and my handicap back down or just go ahead and do it now?

(2) I like supporting my local shop where the instructor is now the general manager, but it's pretty small. They sell ping, titleist, tour edge, Taylor Made, and mizuno and seem to have a mizuno fitting cart. No electronic stuff that I can see, but I have no idea how that works these days. We also have a Dick's Sporting Goods. Nearest GolfTec is 73 miles away and I have 2 year old twin toddlers....that might be tough. Is it ok to just go with the local guy with the mizuno cart? What else should I be looking for?

any other tips for getting back into the swing of things are appreciated. I'm sure technology and such has come a long way. I'm already ditching my old hard-to-walk-in shoes for some puma FAAS Lites or something similar...that should help :)

If it matters, I was messing around on the dick's swing cage thing and my swing speed was only about 90mph. Who knows where it will end up or what it was before.

Anyway, thanks for reading this far and it looks like you guys have an interesting and helpful forum.

matt

Welcome to the forum and welcome back to the game.

1. My opinion is to wait until your swing is reasonably repeatable to buy new clubs.
2. I like supporting my local place too but ultimately I support me first. If the shop doesn't have what you want / need go elsewhere.
3. FootJoy Contour Casuals.

Welcome to THP. Nothing wrong with supporting your local place and I like to do it as long as prices are similar.
Im a shoe guy and love so many different types including those Pumas.

Welcome to THP!

as far as clubs go, once you and your swing coach feel you've settled into a solid swing base, I would look to change equipment. Technology has changed drastically, and I'm sure you'd see the benefits of that. But I feel like its a discussion you could have with him/her to get a feel of when it would be a good time for that. A fitting is as good as the person giving it, and receiving it. It takes both parties to ensure your getting what is best for your game.

Welcome to THP!

I have been there with the swing and the game - had a long layoff and coming back has been a bit of a struggle but worth it.

Getting fitted properly will require a reasonably repeatable swing to get a proper fit, so I would work on that first.

Support for the little guy in the golf business is great. There are enough big box stores with pimple faced kids who will sell you anything around.

Welcome to THP!

sweet! An active forum. :)

Thanks again for the info. I will work with the swing coach to make my swing repeatable...which, of course, feels impossible right now, but I am steadily getting better.

local course is par 71 from the whites, 5991 / 68.8 / 121. Shot a 97 the first time out with the touch of a water buffalo. 5th round was an 87 with 8 pars and a couple of ugly holes. So, things are headed in the right direction. I raised that R2 to 10.5 and I think it's too closed now. I'll put it back to 9.5 and wait until things smooth out and get a fitting. Then, likely, trade somebody for a 10.5 or sell it, etc.

I'll look at those countour shoes. I read something about those zero-drop (e.g. the puma faas) shoes being bad for achilles and mine are kinda fried from MTB riding..may need to look at a traditional shoe.

I definitely have developed the bug again, so this should be fun. Off to read more threads about push carts vs. carrying, etc. ;)

edit: ted, agreed re: big box. I've been in Dick's golf section 4x now for various stuff and not yet has a worker said a word to me. Amazing.

The local shop / club is Bidwell Golf Course, but they're run by Empire Golf. Not sure where my money ends up, really. I'll see if there are other local shops..

matt

Welcome to the forum and welcome back to the game.

1. My opinion is to wait until your swing is reasonably repeatable to buy new clubs.
2. I like supporting my local place too but ultimately I support me first. If the shop doesn't have what you want / need go elsewhere.
3. FootJoy Contour Casuals.

Good advice! BTW, I just bought a pair of FJ Contours. Love'em.

well, got re-fitted today...very interesting. Mizuno system had me in project x 6.0 or dynamic gold s300 in stiff. Hit a few shafts and heads. I actually hit the s300 better than the px. I want to go back and hit a few more repetitions. The s300 was a pretty low ball flight. I ended up liking the ez forged the best. Better turf interaction. I'm going to hit some titleist in the next few days and see what else comes together.

I was pretty surprised by the s300. The fitter and I were a bit rushed at the end (I had to leave)...going to do some reading now..

Back