What is your biggest fear on the golf course?

malemotives

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 17.4
Mine is hitting someone.

A lot of times I step up to the tee box on a short Par 4.... 285 to 325 yards, and wait because someone is still on the green. Playing partners will say, "Go ahead and hit. You're not going to reach them." Most often, I won't, but I always ask myself... what if...? I'm not a long ball hitter. My average drive is 245 or so. But I have, on a couple of occasions hit a ball just right and broke 300 yards.

Last week I had a 240 yard 2nd shot into a Par 5. There were 4 guys on the green, so I ignored the chants to go ahead and hit. As the guys replaced the flag stick and exited toward the back of the green, I hit a solid shot with a 24* hybrid. that caught the wind landed 10 yard in front of the green and rolled on. The guys up front heard it land and saw it roll on... and waved to me. It was a lucky shot, but for me, it reinforced the need to wait until a fairway area or the green is clear.

Taking a practice swing and some walks right behind me and doesn't realize I'm a lefty....it actually happens, I go in the tee box and people move around a bit during the practice swings, many people have said that they don't know where to be since I'm a lefty. It's weird, I never stand close to the person swinging, regardless of dexterity.

Mine is probably lightning. I'll play through rain and cold like it ain't no thang, but as soon as I hear thunder I get worried. I've heard too many stories of golfers getting hit by lightning (Trevino, Goosen, etc.) to risk it swinging a metal club around in a storm.

An angry momma deer.

A bad spat of the craps coming in and no trees around.

Mine is hitting someone.

A lot of times I step up to the tee box on a short Par 4.... 285 to 325 yards, and wait because someone is still on the green. Playing partners will say, "Go ahead and hit. You're not going to reach them." Most often, I won't, but I always ask myself... what if...? I'm not a long ball hitter. My average drive is 245 or so. But I have, on a couple of occasions hit a ball just right and broke 300 yards.

Last week I had a 240 yard 2nd shot into a Par 5. There were 4 guys on the green, so I ignored the chants to go ahead and hit. As the guys replaced the flag stick and exited toward the back of the green, I hit a solid shot with a 24* hybrid. that caught the wind landed 10 yard in front of the green and rolled on. The guys up front heard it land and saw it roll on... and waved to me. It was a lucky shot, but for me, it reinforced the need to wait until a fairway area or the green is clear.

I don't think you need to wait on an up to 325 yard hole if your normal drive is 245 unless you've already drove a green of that length once that day or have had a drive that long. If your average is 245, it's very unlikely that you are going to do much more than roll up onto the green if you even did reach it. Even a 285 hole. Just make sure to holler loudly if you think it's going to come close! If you are really that worried about it, let everyone else hit first and then you hit. You also need to take into consideration if it's uphill at all.

Unless the pace of play is such that no one is behind you and waiting isn't going to hold up other groups. Then wait until they leave the green and drive away.

I haven't hit enough drives that far that I am worried about hitting them on the roll, let alone landing on the green. I do play with a few guys (Texas Hacker is one) who actually SHOULD wait on anything in the 315 or under range. They probably won't hit the green, but they can almost always hit it far enough to.

The beer cart girl not having my favorite beverage!

Hitting someone during a practice swing (I'm a lefty) or hitting a house and breaking a window if my ball goes OB.

I'd say accidently walking into a pothole or edge of a cart path and breaking something (ankle or leg). I don't usually look down the entire time when I'm walking, so in the past I've rolled an ankle on the course. I'm pretty cognizant of the weather and when people are swinging and such.

A shank! and the shot after hitting one :laughing:

I don't think you need to wait on an up to 325 yard hole if your normal drive is 245 unless you've already drove a green of that length once that day or have had a drive that long. If your average is 245, it's very unlikely that you are going to do much more than roll up onto the green if you even did reach it. Even a 285 hole. Just make sure to holler loudly if you think it's going to come close! If you are really that worried about it, let everyone else hit first and then you hit. You also need to take into consideration if it's uphill at all.

Unless the pace of play is such that no one is behind you and waiting isn't going to hold up other groups. Then wait until they leave the green and drive away.

I haven't hit enough drives that far that I am worried about hitting them on the roll, let alone landing on the green. I do play with a few guys (Texas Hacker is one) who actually SHOULD wait on anything in the 315 or under range. They probably won't hit the green, but they can almost always hit it far enough to.

You're probably right. The fear comes from over driving a 290 yard green and hitting someone just driving away. He had to have his left ear stitched and I felt bad all week.

The beer cart girl not having my favorite beverage!

Or an ugly beer cart girl...I kid of course...sort of

Playing in Florida I fear the unseen gator

Swinging and missing
#ladiestees
Getting my shoes dirty
#missinga2footer

playing along side very good players and hacking it up on the entire first hole.

Nothing, I'm fearless. Although, I will scream like a girl if confronted by snakes/skunks in the tall grass, ugly beer cart girls, or anything dogleg left.

Mine is having a pond right infront of the green. Only thing I can think of is that my ball is going in the water.

Mountain lion. Never see one on the course, but have seen one about a mile away from the course. I play solo a lot and holes 14-16 are way out there and shrouded by trees and tall grass. Nice kitty...

Mountain lion. Never see one on the course, but have seen one about a mile away from the course. I play solo a lot and holes 14-16 are way out there and shrouded by trees and tall grass. Nice kitty...

That would freak me out !

I am scared to death of the shanks. I go instantly pale and get the shivers if I hosel-rocket a Srixon.

I'm not sure I've ever feared anything on the golf course except the guy I'm playing with that is trying to empty my wallet.

Gators when I lived in Savannah, lightning in DFW.

Rolling the golf cart and getting hurt.

As Indiana Jones once said " Shanks. Why did it have to be shanks ".

Ok, maybe he said snakes, but shanks are more poisonous.

Gay camels... And lightning

Back