jspangs

Reaction score
Handicap
I will start by saying I'm 26, I work a physical job where I'm on my feet all day, climbing poles or towers on a daily basis. I've had back problems for the last 4-5 years and haven't had much success in treating it. I've gone to chiropracters but they seem to want you in there 2 times a week every week for life to make you feel better. I've done physical therapy with no success. Now it seems to be affecting my golf to the point I can't play much. If walking I can play 9 holes with about hole 13 I become incredibly tight. I take carts more often now to ease the burden but I enjoy walking. I've been trying to work on a swing with less rotation and it helps out a bit but I'm not real good with it. I've seen those Freddy Couples commercial about anatablock and wandered if anyone has tried it. Also what are some other things you have done to help your back problems.

Thanks for the advice

Did you fully commit to PT and follow through with the exercises they recommended? Seems that most problems like this can be traced back to taking on physical tasks that the body isn't built to do repeatedly. Your job duties are the most likely culprit and golf just exacerbates the problem. If your PT is centered around what it'd take to be fit for your job, bet your golf would improve. Might even be a matter of stretching properly. You might even be a candidate for yoga.

I have been dealing with lots of lower back pain as well. Golf never hurt my back much, until I changed my posture to a more athletic one, chest over the ball at address and so on. The bottom line for me, and a lot of people who deal with lower back issues, is strengthening the core. I've gotten back into P90X a little bit and am trying to do the core workouts a couple of times per week. I've already seen a difference with the pain lessening and being able to maintain a consistent swing throughout a complete round. Walking increases the fatigue, but I really want the exercise. So I'm working on strengthening my core and losing weight and hoping that back pain will be a thing of the past soon.

I had 3/4 of a disc removed from my lower back 7 years ago due to getting hit in the drivers door by a Suburban at highway speed. The surgery was very successful but I still struggle with tightness and some radiant pain on a regular basis. I do several stretches that target the legs and lower back nearly every night at home, and a pretty solid stretching routine before every round I play or every range session.

From my point of view, I don't see a chiropractor being of any assistance. Without doing any kind of invasive treatment (surgery) I would say that yoga would be your best bet as far as any sort of physical treatment goes.

As for the medication you mentioned, I can't comment on that. Hopefully somebody on here has some experience with that stuff, because I would be interested in it as well.

I use a push cart to help so I can still walk and play. I actually find when I walk my back stays better than win I sit. I think the staying warm and stretched helps to walk during a round.

Did you fully commit to PT and follow through with the exercises they recommended? Seems that most problems like this can be traced back to taking on physical tasks that the body isn't built to do repeatedly. Your job duties are the most likely culprit and golf just exacerbates the problem. If your PT is centered around what it'd take to be fit for your job, bet your golf would improve. Might even be a matter of stretching properly. You might even be a candidate for yoga.

Merged with a pretty big thread on the subject.

I have been dealing with lots of lower back pain as well. Golf never hurt my back much, until I changed my posture to a more athletic one, chest over the ball at address and so on. The bottom line for me, and a lot of people who deal with lower back issues, is strengthening the core. I've gotten back into P90X a little bit and am trying to do the core workouts a couple of times per week. I've already seen a difference with the pain lessening and being able to maintain a consistent swing throughout a complete round. Walking increases the fatigue, but I really want the exercise. So I'm working on strengthening my core and losing weight and hoping that back pain will be a thing of the past soon.

I had 3/4 of a disc removed from my lower back 7 years ago due to getting hit in the drivers door by a Suburban at highway speed. The surgery was very successful but I still struggle with tightness and some radiant pain on a regular basis. I do several stretches that target the legs and lower back nearly every night at home, and a pretty solid stretching routine before every round I play or every range session.

From my point of view, I don't see a chiropractor being of any assistance. Without doing any kind of invasive treatment (surgery) I would say that yoga would be your best bet as far as any sort of physical treatment goes.

As for the medication you mentioned, I can't comment on that. Hopefully somebody on here has some experience with that stuff, because I would be interested in it as well.

I use a push cart to help so I can still walk and play. I actually find when I walk my back stays better than win I sit. I think the staying warm and stretched helps to walk during a round.

I will start saying sorry to the mod, I didn't see the thread. I did do the PT to the the fullest but that was about 3 years ago now. I know my job is not good on my back, but its my job and I have to do it. I have done stretches in the morning, light stretching at lunch, then stretch before bed it helps a little so I continue with it but not much. My first chiropractor helped a bit but it was very temporary and I have since moved and tried a chiropractor here and it was a joke. I was very into yoga but once again I have moved and havent found any yoga places in my area. I will probably pick it up again. Also I use my Clicgear and that was a gamechanger as there is no way I could carry.

I suffered with low back pain and later upper and lower back pain and back spams for quite a while before I tried the treatment that really helped me. Don't discount or refuse to try any type of treatment because of fear of it.

I did and I paid for it by living in pain for quite a few years before I got to the "I'll try anything point.

I will start saying sorry to the mod, I didn't see the thread. I did do the PT to the the fullest but that was about 3 years ago now. I know my job is not good on my back, but its my job and I have to do it. I have done stretches in the morning, light stretching at lunch, then stretch before bed it helps a little so I continue with it but not much. My first chiropractor helped a bit but it was very temporary and I have since moved and tried a chiropractor here and it was a joke. I was very into yoga but once again I have moved and havent found any yoga places in my area. I will probably pick it up again. Also I use my Clicgear and that was a gamechanger as there is no way I could carry.
That's OK. I am just Angry, haha.

I suffered with low back pain and later upper and lower back pain and back spams for quite a while before I tried the treatment that really helped me. Don't discount or refuse to try any type of treatment because of fear of it.

I did and I paid for it by living in pain for quite a few years before I got to the "I'll try anything point.

maybe I missed it - but what treatment was that?

This thread popped up at the right time! I have been hitting the gym hard, have lost about 25 # in 4 1/2 weeks, while maintaining / gaining muscle, which is really hard to do. This morning I go to the gym, and I was doing leg presses and get this twinge in the left side of my back. I stop lifting, and walk on the treadmill to get some blood flowing and loosen it up - nothing. I have a history of back issues ( degenerated discs, etc ) so I have dealt with this, but it has been a while, as I see a really good Chiro and he keeps me in the game. Tried to get in there today - but he is closed on Thursdays! I am struggling through work, and i made an appt to see him at 12:15 tomorrow. Might end up calling out of work tomorrow. Sucks!

It sucks having to take a Vicodin (well, half a Vicodin and three 500 mg Tylenols) before golfing.

maybe I missed it - but what treatment was that?

Spinal Decompression- they stretch you and it allows everything to fall back into place in your back. It also allows the lubricating juice to work back into the disks and helps them get spongy and lubricated again. I don't have it but apparently it works really well for herniated disks.

It sucks having to take a Vicodin (well, half a Vicodin and three 500 mg Tylenols) before golfing.

And so it goes. Back felt great during the round, but those meds last about 5 hours tops. And now I am walking around like an old man again. Which, comparatively speaking, I guess I am! hahaha

I had sacroiliac joint pain for 2 years after a car accident.....Lots of chiropractor visits and stretching. It only pops up every so often these days thankfully.

Yoga is the answer for me. I have had lower back pain ever since I was 13 years old. I helped my dad carry a piano up the stairs from my basement. Perpetual pain ensues. I have gone to physical therapy, chiropractic, etc, didn't do much. I had pretty much resigned myself to back pain forever. Recently I went to yoga to make my wife happy and heard that it may be good for my golf game. Low and behold my back literally didn't hurt for a week afterwards from one class. I think it's a miracle. Do yourself a favor and go to yoga. I can't wait to go back.

I have lower back pain usually when waking up in the morning. I visit the chiropractor about once per month and honestly it does the body good. The two main things that really help me out are stretching and drinking plenty of water. When I stretch, I use a chair. I place one leg at a time for 30 seconds full extended 90*on the chair, standing up straight and let it work my hamstrings which are connected to the muscles in my lower back (that might not be medically correct) and it creates instant relief. However, if I know I'm going to be spending plenty of range time/18-36 holes of golf too, I will take 2 ibuprofens prior to my round to help me stay loose.

I'll be the first to tell you, I've seen seen 3 chiropractors in my days. Two have done me well as the third did nothing for me except take my money. If you have had a bad experience with chiropractic, maybe try and find a new doctor. Dont count them out immediately if you've had a bad experience from the past. The doctor I see now is a true stand up. If he can't help you, he will send you for an evaluation with a surgeon. It all depends on the chiropractor you see.

This year has been a rough one for me with regards to my back - I have always been pretty active and suffered from the various sporting injuries that you can't avoid picking up at some point during your life, but when my back started giving me problems at the beginning of the year I probably waited too long to get it seen to

Initially I thought I had just trapped a nerve and spent a couple of days pretty much laid flat as I couldn't physically stand up, about a week later I could barely stand again so ended up at the Out of Hours GP who gave me some strong painkillers and some stretching exercises as he also said I had probably trapped a nerve so the exercises would help to ease the pain and release the nerve - who wrong that turned out to be.....

About 6 or 7 weeks later I was still suffering so went to my usual GP who referred me to a Sports Physiotherapist, move forward a couple of days and I have my appointment with him, he asks a couple of questions, examines my back (putting pressure on various points until he found the one where I winced the most and took pleasure in causing more pain while determining the problem....:beat-up:) and tells me I have a facet joint out of place

The pain I had been suffering was the muscles surrounding the joint which were permanently in a 'pulled' position as they were trying to pull the joint into line but the joint wasn't moving back into the correct place so the muscles were over-stretched

He then proceeded to manipulate my back, then told me to take a deep breath and as I breathed out, he twisted my back and I both felt and heard a crack which was the joint popping back into place. After a couple more stretching and massage sessions I was feeling a lot better, pain free and on the road to recovery, but then proceeded to pop the joint out again in July and despite physio and doing the stretches I haven't quite got back to being completely pain free so I suspect I have over-stretched the muscles and it is taking longer to heal this time

My only worry is that I will be left with an inherent weakness of the muscles in that area that could cause me problems in the long term, but I am prepared to sacrifice badminton and golf to work on getting the muscles strengthened again before submitting them to the stresses that, especially the badminton, puts on them

Yoga is the answer for me. I have had lower back pain ever since I was 13 years old. I helped my dad carry a piano up the stairs from my basement. Perpetual pain ensues. I have gone to physical therapy, chiropractic, etc, didn't do much. I had pretty much resigned myself to back pain forever. Recently I went to yoga to make my wife happy and heard that it may be good for my golf game. Low and behold my back literally didn't hurt for a week afterwards from one class. I think it's a miracle. Do yourself a favor and go to yoga. I can't wait to go back.
I should start a flexibility regiment like that, sounds like it's working great for you.

I have lower back pain usually when waking up in the morning. I visit the chiropractor about once per month and honestly it does the body good. The two main things that really help me out are stretching and drinking plenty of water. When I stretch, I use a chair. I place one leg at a time for 30 seconds full extended 90*on the chair, standing up straight and let it work my hamstrings which are connected to the muscles in my lower back (that might not be medically correct) and it creates instant relief. However, if I know I'm going to be spending plenty of range time/18-36 holes of golf too, I will take 2 ibuprofens prior to my round to help me stay loose.

I'll be the first to tell you, I've seen seen 3 chiropractors in my days. Two have done me well as the third did nothing for me except take my money. If you have had a bad experience with chiropractic, maybe try and find a new doctor. Dont count them out immediately if you've had a bad experience from the past. The doctor I see now is a true stand up. If he can't help you, he will send you for an evaluation with a surgeon. It all depends on the chiropractor you see.
I feel great when I leave the chiropractor. But I would need to go every day and there's no way I can drop 40 bucks a day. Even going once in a while is about pointless, since the next day it is just like it was before I went. I go no when I HAVE to, which is when I need to have my wife drive me. That hasn't happened for a couple of years.

Went golfing today. Ouch. Again.

I always hate hear about golfers having back issues. I hurt mine when I was about 25 (I'm 49) and ever since then I have had to swing "around" the bad spot. Of all my injuries, it, for some reason, became chronic and has always bothered me. Makes it very difficult to have any separation between my hips and shoulders during the swing. I have been working on deep (and somewhat painful) stretches this last year more than ever. I have seen some improvement, but it requires constant work just to maintain it. If I don't stretch for a day or two. Back to square one.

Just a little update on my back problem - I had a physio session last week on Thursday evening and had the facet joint put back into place again as it had popped out of place again. I felt a bit rough on Friday and ended up having to take some tablets to give me some relief but persisted with the stretching that the physio had told me to do a few times throughout the day and felt a lot better by the evening

Played golf on Saturday and took some tablets before we started just in case of any problems, but made sure I kept stretching throughout the round and I felt okay, if a little stiff, by the end of the round

For anyone interested, this is the stretching that the physio recommended I do - DISCLAIMER : These exercises may not help everyone and I wouldn't advise trying them without asking for a medical opinion depending on your personal pain

Standing with feet slightly apart, bend forward from the waist about 45 degrees, then return to upright and put your head back to arch your back as far as comfortable
Then rotate your upper body to the right and then to the left (almost like a golf swing rotation but make sure your back stays vertical and don't tilt your spine forwards)

Repeat for anywhere between 30 seconds to a minute

I was advised to repeat these stretches as often as possible, even every hour if I could, and I am happy to say I am now feeling as good as I did after my initial physio sessions earlier in the year. I intend to keep doing the stretches until at least the end of the year and hopefully this should get me back on the road to a full recovery and able to play for the second half of the badminton season

Every once in a while my back gets sore and magnifies if I head out to the course. Best thing I've ever done to resolve it is some yoga type moves to stretch it out.

A little bit of downward dog and such goes an awfully long way for my back.

My Doctor is now talking about possible fusion surgery on my lower back, I'm not happy about this option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Back