Golf handicapping apps

Javelin

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I don't play gold competitively yet so I really don't have much reason to get an official handicap yet. But everywhere I go people are always asking me what my handicap is so I decided to download a few apps on my iPhone get a rough idea. One app has me at at 14.3 and another at 17. I'm not sure why there is such a large difference. I enter my last 7 score cards that I had from the past month. I've been playing pretty much straight bogey golf for the past few rounds(18 over for 18 holes), does this seem like a accurate handicap when I'm scoring more over than that on an average round of golf.

I have 3 different apps and all 3 give me different handicaps. 2 of them are very close and the other is off 3 strokes. I personally think they are giving me too much credit but I was told once that your handicap is reflective of what you would shoot if everything was clicking that round. That said, I no longer get bummed out when I don't shoot my handicap (which has been a lot lately).

From what I understand, your handicap is "basically" 96% of your average. Though it is weighted based on course slope. So if you have 5 scores all entered at 18 over, your handicap should be around 17.28. If the courses played are more difficult than it would lower those weighted scores. It's supposed to be a measure of your scoring potential. You should not be shooting your handicap with consistency, or it will drop.

This is how I understand it. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will had some clarity.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Sometimes you'll get different indexes because the various sites don't match as far as slope/ratings go for the course you play. Not sure which site you use, but oobgolf kept pretty close to the same as my real index from US Handicap.
On a side note unless your playing and need an index, I wouldn't fret to much and just play lol.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Sometimes you'll get different indexes because the various sites don't match as far as slope/ratings go for the course you play. Not sure which site you use, but oobgolf kept pretty close to the same as my real index from US Handicap.
On a side note unless your playing and need an index, I wouldn't fret to much and just play lol.

I don't "need" an official handicap, but when talking to other players its a nice way to gauge skill levels.

I believe oob golf will give you the closest thing to what your ghin would be

I believe oob golf will give you the closest thing to what your ghin would be

And this note is now on their website:

We are in the process of updating our handicap system to comply with the USGA Handicap System™. In the near future, we will be able to provide a USGA Handicap Index™ for a nominal cost, which can be used in competition.

I hope this means there will still be a free version of oob.

They're going the route of US Handicap to become a golf club it sounds like....it'll be interesting to see what happens

Each of these will calculate your handicap although I don't understand why they aren't all the same. They should all be using the same calculation.
Swing by Swing - 13.0
oobgolf - 14.4 (Saw there comment. If they make me pay for my handicap I'll just use something else)
Golfshot Lite - 13.3
Calculated - 14.6 (Use my PC to calculate my own handicap, not really that hard)

oob and TheGrint are within .2 of each other on my scores and TheGrint gives an official GHIN for free. If oob loses the free option you should check out www.thegrint.com. I have been using it since Freddie mentioned it in another thread.

Golflogix is the other one I use...it isnt official but they show a "golflogix" handicap and a "usga" handicap. the "golflogix" one is very close to oob and theGrint...the "usga" one is almost 3 strokes higher. again, neither are official.

oob and TheGrint are within .2 of each other on my scores and TheGrint gives an official GHIN for free. If oob loses the free option you should check out www.thegrint.com. I have been using it since Freddie mentioned it in another thread.

Golflogix is the other one I use...it isnt official but they show a "golflogix" handicap and a "usga" handicap. the "golflogix" one is very close to oob and theGrint...the "usga" one is almost 3 strokes higher. again, neither are official.

Never heard of TheGrint, will have to check it out, thanks. I like trying out the different free golf apps available.

Before I had an official ghin I used mybogey.com. It seemed pretty good to me, fell within a stroke of my ghin. And it's free.

Sent from The Galaxy Note 2

I started this year with ghin but my game went way down hill I stopped entering scores. However I entered 7 scores (87,87,83,86,90,88,96) with course slope ratings varying from 121-131 and they have my handicap at 11.6. I feel this is too low so I always add a few strokes to make it more close to what I feel I'm closer to. There was a time when I could say I was an 11.6, not this year.

I started this year with ghin but my game went way down hill I stopped entering scores. However I entered 7 scores (87,87,83,86,90,88,96) with course slope ratings varying from 121-131 and they have my handicap at 11.6. I feel this is too low so I always add a few strokes to make it more close to what I feel I'm closer to. There was a time when I could say I was an 11.6, not this year.
You use an official handicap service and feel it isn't accurate?

Wouldn't some people call that sandbagging?

I dont play in anything where my handicap matters so its not sandbagging. Plus I feel when most people ask your handicap they are actually wondering how many over you shoot. Im much more likely to shoot a 87 than a 82. So when asked im more likely to say 15 than 11. Its not that I feel the system is inaccurate but rather how a handicap is viewed by the everyday average golfer that doesnt understand how it works.

Back