Kenny Perry & His Career

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Kenny Perry turns 50 next year and has said that he will play both tours in many interviews. He has exemptions for the next 5 years and has also said on numerous occasions that he would like to get to 20 wins before he hangs it up on the PGA Tour. He has 5 over the last 2 years, so it is a reachable goal perhaps. So this topic is about him, his career and his future.

Will he win a Major?

Will he get to 20 wins?

Is he a Hall of Famer?

Will he just tear up the Champions Tour events that he plays this year?

Those are all interesting questions. I really enjoy watching him play and would've said:

1. no he wouldn't win a major, but that changes depending on whether or not Tiger will be in the field for any of the majors in 2010.

2. Yeah, i think he'll get to 20 wins. one thing that he's proved in the past is that when he sets a goal he usually achieves it, ie, making the Ryder Cup team.

3. This is the toughest question b/c who knows why the choose or nominate or vote in certain people. I would've thought Lanny Wadkins would've been in before he was but who knows. Kenny Perry in the HOF, i don't think so.

4. Yep, he'll tear up the CT. He and Freddy, battling it out. They'll be too long for the rest of the fellas!

No Major. Not impossible, but I don't see it happening. Not with that ugly swing.

He needs 6 more for 20 wins. That seems like asking too much. Nice goal though.

No Major = No HOF.

He should tear it up on the Champions Tour. He seems to have more game left at 50 than his peers.

I agree with v3.0 on this one. Not exactly easy to win at age 49. He might get a couple more but I doubt he reaches 20. I don't see a major happening either. He came close last year so he may have a chance this year at Augusta. Likely his last good shot. Can he get into the HOF for what he does on the Senior Tour (I know, Champions!)? Because I agree that he'll likely be one of the dominators, at least for the first four or five years. He'll probably win a bunch of Senior majors.

Will he win a major? He has a chance, especially if the great one, during his hiatus, misses quite a few of them. All he has to do is play well for 72 holes, for that week, just like some of the previous, one time winners.

20 wins? More likely for him than winning a major. He can pick and chose the right tournaments to play in to reach that milestone.

The Golf HOF, according to some, is watered down, which is tough to argue against, regardless of the sport. Let him in with Monty.

As for Champions' Tour, he will win a lot of their tournaments, and more than likely a few of their majors.

I going out on a limb and said he will win a major. Look at what Tom Watson almost did at 59! I believe if the course is right and his putter get's hot he can compete with the young bucks at one of the majors. He will difinitely need some good fortune for a major to be had.

I believe he will get his 20 tour wins. Kenny is a streak player and when he gets on a role he can pick up two or three wins in a year.

The senior tour will have some great competition when some of the guys approaching 50 hit that mark. I think it will become one of the stronger tours of the ones out there. Those guys give me hope that if you work to stay in good condition you can play quality golf for years to comes. Of course my goal is to win our Club's Senior Championship one time. I have one more year and alot of practice to do that. Senior division starts at 60 and I just turned 59.

Good luck Kenny Perry! He is a great guy.

No major, yes he will make it to 20 wins, no he is not a hall of famer and yes he will dominate the CT.

Kenny Perry turns 50 next year and has said that he will play both tours in many interviews. He has exemptions for the next 5 years and has also said on numerous occasions that he would like to get to 20 wins before he hangs it up on the PGA Tour. He has 5 over the last 2 years, so it is a reachable goal perhaps. So this topic is about him, his career and his future.

Will he win a Major?

Will he get to 20 wins?

Is he a Hall of Famer?

Will he just tear up the Champions Tour events that he plays this year?

No major.

No 20 wins, maybe another 2-3 wins.

I don't know what the criteria is to get into the HOF, like others have stated I would have thought Wadkins should have been it in many, many years ago.

He will win on the Champions Tour and win some of those majors.

I think he has a shot at a major this year, especially with Tiger out. Perry has been pretty hot these last two years, I dont see why he would cool down now. I think it might be time to bump up the age to 55 or 60 for the Champions tour. 50 just doesnt seem that old anymore.

1. I don't see Kenny winning a major, even with Tiger possibly not playing.
2. I don't see Kenny winning six more times either. I think he'll win one or two more times tops.
3. Hall of Fame? Probably. He qualifies to be on the ballot and does seem to be pretty popular amongst his peers.
4. I think he'll do well on the Champions Tour, but I don't think he'll tear it up. He'll win a couple of tournaments there, and maybe one major. They're not exactly pushovers there.

I am still struggling with the master's loss. I really like Kenny, and I think a major is still a possibility for the next 5 years with the Master's being the most likely. But Majors are so hard to win, that I say he has about a 35% chance of getting one, I feel he may be shifting focus away from playing as much and if he does this it may affect his game.
Regarding the 20 wins, I think he has a better chance to get this number than he does the Major, but it depends on how much he plays on tour.
I don't know about the HOF, he has a chance and the final win total especially with no major will influence whether he gets in.
I think he will enjoy and tear up the Champions tour, but don't look for him to play as much over there until he get more non-competitive on the PGA tour.

As always his putting will determine his future success.

Lots of great opinions here. Keep them coming.

i just don't know if he'll recover from giving the masters away. he played beautifully for 71 holes. some guys just can't recover from that but we'll see what he's made of.

i do like how he sets goals and goes after them so perhaps he'll be a serious candidate for some majors.

No major. His best chance was at Augusta last year.

20 wins? Possible. I think likely.

HOF? Not sure here. I like him as a guy but his record without a major is not that impressive. If he gets to 20 wins maybe, I would still lean towards no. Comparing him to Monty is silly. Monty has won the order of merit for a bunch of years in a row and had an unquestionable Ryder Cup record.

Champions Tour? I will be rooting for him.

Comparing him to Monty is silly. Monty has won the order of merit for a bunch of years in a row and had an unquestionable Ryder Cup record.

I am amazed at how many people dislike Monty or think he wasn't a great golfer just because he didn't win on the PGA tour.

People dislike Monty for his actions.

No major - Augusta was his shot
No 20 wins - what does he need ... 6 more ? He'll fall at least a couple short.
No HOF - I don't think any US golfer has made the HOF with < 20 wins and 0 majors.
He'll do fine on the CT, but not dominate. His putter will get in the way. 2-3 wins per year for a few years. That is if it survives that long.

1. I'd say yes. He HAD THE MASTERS; HE WAS SO CLOSE! I bet once the next time he's in contention for a Major, he's not going to let it slip by him.

2. Hm, How many is he at now? 14 on the PGA? I'd say he has a fairly good chance. 6 Wins within the next who-knows how many years should be a reachable goal by him.

3. This ones tough. I don't know the criteria for a HOFer, but...Yeah. I'd say it has to do with their playing skill and their attitude/impact they've left on the game. I'd nominate 'em.

4. Only time will tell, my friend. My bet is he'll do quite well.

1.) I think he will get his major

2.)He will reach this benchmark too.

3.)If he gets his major, then I think he will get in

4.)Domination!!

I'm really surprised at how many think KP will win at least 6 more. He'll be 50 in September. Only 6 50-somethings have won even one in tour history. He's a good guy, maybe he'll prove me wrong and do it for us geezers.

I'm really surprised at how many think KP will win at least 6 more. He'll be 50 in September. Only 6 50-somethings have won even one in tour history. He's a good guy, maybe he'll prove me wrong and do it for us geezers.

I wrote earlier that I think KP will win at most a couple of more times before he plays exclusively on the CT. His best chance at a major passed him by at the Masters; I seriously doubt that he'll contend at a major again.

Back