How does one motivate one's self to play

BigLeftyinAZ

Reaction score
Since my move ,I've been injured. Moved to AZ Jan 08 and missed 7 months due to an injured shoulder.For the year of 09,I've missed 9 months due to a knee injury and surgery.

I used getting LASIK to help motivate myself,but failed.

I've only meet a few golfers to play with,but we all have different schedules to play and I hate walking on as a single.
It was nice to have that regular group to play with back home.

Trying to decided if I want to even continue playing or just teach?

Even decided to join the PGA as a teacher instead of my current USGTF,but that hasn't even motivated me to want to play and I have to play to get ready for the PAT.

Decisions,decisions. :banghead:

My motivation to play golf is that I get to wear the cool outfits!! And because I've invetested so much in clothes and shoes, I can't turn back now :D

Maybe you can teach AND play? You'd have the best of both worlds!!

Get out there and even though you do not want to, you will realize what you have been missing and come right back to it. Just force yourself! You won't regret it.

Do it for all the people who have 3 feet of snow on the ground :D

I think everyone goes through those swings. I quit for 10 years after I moved. Between work and not really knowing anyone, I just didn't play. With this move I met a lot of people pretty quickly and they all golfed, so here I am. Don't know the answer for you, but best of luck.

Lefty - I don't like going as a single either, but for different reasons. What about finding a league that plays at a time that works for you? That way - you'll meet people. That's what I did and now I always have someone to play with and they're crazy so they'll play in any weather. Have you asked C-Tech about the men's league he belongs to? It sounds to me that your real issue is golf friends more than a lack of interest in playing.

I've only meet a few golfers to play with,but we all have different schedules to play and I hate walking on as a single.

Golf is a great sport because you get to enjoy it with 3 of your best pals. I love golf for what it is... but it is that much more enjoyable because of who I play the game with. I agree that walking on as a single is not as much fun. So, I would recommend that you be intentional on finding some additional playing buddies. That might be the extra push for you to get you out on the course. Perhaps you can ask your "different schedule pals" to set you up with a few other folks to play with.

At the courses that I play with, they usually pair singles with an already established couple of people, maybe you'll get lucky and be paired with some really great people. That's how we formed our 4-some. We found 2 singles that were just walk ons and invited them to join us and we've been playing golf with them since :D

There is no motivation needed to play. IT IS FUN TO PLAY!!! Even if you just play by yourself or pair up with strangers it can still be fun. If it isn't fun anymore, maybe it is time to do something else.

Just remember, it is a game and should be fun. On top of that, it is challenging. No matter how good someone is, they can always be better.

FUN + CHALLENGING = AWESOME

No motivation needed.

Lefty - I don't like going as a single either, but for different reasons. What about finding a league that plays at a time that works for you? That way - you'll meet people. That's what I did and now I always have someone to play with and they're crazy so they'll play in any weather. Have you asked C-Tech about the men's league he belongs to? It sounds to me that your real issue is golf friends more than a lack of interest in playing.

One of the main problems with leagues and I is my schedule is never the same from week to week.

There is no motivation needed to play. IT IS FUN TO PLAY!!! Even if you just play by yourself or pair up with strangers it can still be fun. If it isn't fun anymore, maybe it is time to do something else.

Just remember, it is a game and should be fun. On top of that, it is challenging. No matter how good someone is, they can always be better.

FUN + CHALLENGING = AWESOME

No motivation needed.

I agree and disagree. I need challenge by my partners.I don't play well when not playing with same/better partners.Otherwise I just go through the motions,with nothing to drive me.

Being above ground as opposed to six feet under, while owning a set of golf clubs should be motivation enough to play. At what level you play at due to personal/physical issues is of no consequence.

Also, can you teach effectively if you don't play? A non playing PGA instructor? Not likely. Would probably send the wrong vibes to more than a few potential students.

Playing as a single is more prevalent now days than you might think. I see it, and do it all the time. I have met some decent folks going out as a single. Work schedules, family schedules, and other non scheduled issues make it almost impossible for one to keep a personal schedule.

Then there's that "what if" thing if you do give up the game. :confused2:

One of the main problems with leagues and I is my schedule is never the same from week to week.

Then be a sub and play when you can. Or ask C-Tech to introduce you to people. He had a difficult time when he first moved and then jumped in to meet as many people as possible.

My motivation to play golf is that I get to wear the cool outfits!! And because I've invetested so much in clothes and shoes, I can't turn back now :D

Maybe you can teach AND play? You'd have the best of both worlds!!

I currently do teach.Been teaching for over 6 years.I love teaching those that want to learn to be better. By teaching,It does take away from your own time to practice and makes it harder to play.

Being above ground as opposed to six feet under, while owning a set of golf clubs should be motivation enough to play. At what level you play at due to personal/physical issues is of no consequence.

Also, can you teach effectively if you don't play? A non playing PGA instructor? Not likely. Would probably send the wrong vibes to more than a few potential students.

Playing as a single is more prevalent now days than you might think. I see it, and do it all the time. I have met some decent folks going out as a single. Work schedules, family schedules, and other non scheduled issues make it almost impossible for one to keep a personal schedule.

Then there's that "what if" thing if you do give up the game. :confused2:

Happens more then you think.Many of the great teachers don't play anymore due to time.
Many of the best teachers I've studied under didn't play. Some of the good playing teachers are not good teachers because they work on their own game instead of teaching.

I dont think you really need motivation to play. If you dont feel like playing, dont do it. If you do, it has more of a chance to become frustrating and less enjoyable. Since you enjoy teaching, I would focus more time into that and not even worry about playing.

It seems it may be more of a social game for you anyway. I stopped playing for 9 years as it wasnt fun for me anymore. One of my friends that I grew up with picked up the game and asked me to play with him some. Not long after that, he my dad and I started playing together regulary, and I am having a great time. But if it was not for them, there is no way I would be playing again. If they dont play, I dont play, it just isnt as much fun.

Its a game. Its supposed to be fun. If its not a fun game, dont play it :)

I guess in short, wanting = motivation?

Lefty you are right on a lot of it. The good news....once you pass the PAT you never need to worry about your golf game anymore. I went through that when I first moved down to Tampa. Once you start playing a little bit you will find a couple of guys to get out there with. Hit it hard and practice hard...get the PAT out of the way and it is smooth sailing from there.

I dont think you really need motivation to play. If you dont feel like playing, dont do it. If you do, it has more of a chance to become frustrating and less enjoyable. Since you enjoy teaching, I would focus more time into that and not even worry about playing.

It seems it may be more of a social game for you anyway. I stopped playing for 9 years as it wasnt fun for me anymore. One of my friends that I grew up with picked up the game and asked me to play with him some. Not long after that, he my dad and I started playing together regulary, and I am having a great time. But if it was not for them, there is no way I would be playing again. If they dont play, I dont play, it just isnt as much fun.

Its a game. Its supposed to be fun. If its not a fun game, dont play it :)

I guess in short, wanting = motivation?

The frustration is what makes the game fun.If the game was easy,why play it?

From some posts that I've read,I see many just play the game for fun.I played the game for the challenge and the score.Competing is more fun then just a casual round.If I'm playing with someone and one of us shoots 73 and the other shoots 72,that was a fun round.

If I just go out for the Fun of it as some would call it,I have noting to push me to shoot low.I feel as I'm just going through the motions and shoot 75-78 isn't all that much fun to me.

Don't get me wrong cause I would just go out once in awhile and not worry about score.Just being on the course was rewarding enough

Since my move ,I've been injured. Moved to AZ Jan 08 and missed 7 months due to an injured shoulder.For the year of 09,I've missed 9 months due to a knee injury and surgery.

I used getting LASIK to help motivate myself,but failed.

Trying to decided if I want to even continue playing or just teach?

Even decided to join the PGA as a teacher instead of my current USGTF,but that hasn't even motivated me to want to play and I have to play to get ready for the PAT.

Decisions,decisions. :banghead:

I've never needed motivation to play golf. I need motivation to go to work, to do chores, etc., but never to play golf. Not being able to play for the last 2 weeks is all the motivation I need to be ready to play as soon as the weather allows the course to open. :confused2:

Frustration and challenge are different in my book, so maybe we have a difference in terms. I enjoy challenge myself, and yes, that is what makes the game fun. To me, constant frustration is not enjoyable, while constant challenge is great.

I played the game for the challenge and the score.

To me you just answered your own question here.

The frustration is what makes the game fun.If the game was easy,why play it?

From some posts that I've read,I see many just play the game for fun.I played the game for the challenge and the score.Competing is more fun then just a casual round.

Lefty - I realize you don't want to hear this again, but you need to find someone to play with. You've given all the reasons you love golf and it boils down to the fact that you need the competition so playing with yourself doesn't do it for you. No one here can help you except maybe C-Tech.

It sounds like you need a competitive environment,something to get your juices flowing.I don`t know what there is available to you but I think you need to find some kind of tournament or competition to play in.For me if there`s nothing competitive to play in then there`s nothing to look forward to and little reason to practise.

I understand what Lefty is saying... he likes to play with guys who can offer him a match. Fortunately for his game, he is a very low handicap player, but that presents problems when looking for someone who can offer you a competitive round.

I can act as a marker, but not much in the way of competition.

How about the men's club or something like the Golf Channel Amateur Tour?

I'm sure there are tons of sandbaggers on the GCAT with much better handicaps than they let on.

Or why not start entering local competitions? I know my pro competes as much as he teaches. Local "Opens" and "Invitationals" would almost certainly provide some real competition.

Lefty-I understand your dilemma completely. I, too, am fairly new to this area and don't have golfing pals. If i want to play i have to as a single and usually i partner up with guys who aren't that good. I'm not a scratch golfer but a single digit hcp'er and it sucks playing with guys who are beating the ball all over. Yes, i like to have fun. Yes, i like playing with guys on my level or better. People who say they only play golf for fun are full of it. We all want to be better, we all want to shoot lower scores, and i think that's the the truth for all of us.

How about the men's club or something like the Golf Channel Amateur Tour?

I'm sure there are tons of sandbaggers on the GCAT with much better handicaps than they let on.

Or why not start entering local competitions? I know my pro competes as much as he teaches. Local "Opens" and "Invitationals" would almost certainly provide some real competition.

Id have to travel to the phoenix area.Nothing down in the tucson area regarding the golf channel tour

Back