Taylormade XFT Wedge

It will be up tomorrow Keith.

Great review! Really good point about the backward/forward compatibility of the replacement grooves. It would be a real waste if they only fit this particular product and no future products.

Do you think any of the other wedge manufacturers are going to jump on the bandwagon with this replaceable groove technology? I can't really see Cleveland or Titleist following suit but I could definitely imagine Nike doing it.

I am not sure that others will jump on board. If so, mark my words, they will not be interchangeable. I think it is a great thing for consumers if done properly. The question will really be, will it be done properly?

Thanks for the review JB. I have yet to see this club up close. I am looking forward to giving it a test run to see how it performs for me.

Great review JB. Does the new "Groove Rule" just encompass wedges?

Great review JB. Does the new "Groove Rule" just encompass wedges?

I thought I read somewhere that it's for clubs with a loft of 25° or more.

I thought I read somewhere that it's for clubs with a loft of 25° or more.

Thanks Smally. With Cleveland going to the zip grooves on the entire set of CG7's it got me wondering about how often the rest of a set should be changed out for the pro's and then I wondered about the amateur. Of course the next leap was will TM ever go with changeable face's for the set? My mind wonders, lol.

Thanks for the review JB. I have yet to see this club up close. I am looking forward to giving it a test run to see how it performs for me.

Keep us informed on how it goes. Should start seeing these locally very soon.

Dent,
to answer your question from the review, the timeline is going to be different for each golfer. Depends on rounds played, shots played, etc...ideally for someone that plays weekly, it would be twice a year. But annually is a good number.

Dent,
to answer your question from the review, the timeline is going to be different for each golfer. Depends on rounds played, shots played, etc...ideally for someone that plays weekly, it would be twice a year. But annually is a good number.

Great, thanks for the quick reply.

They DO look really nice :)

Another wedge I look forward to trying out. Thanks for update.

Each time I look at these I start to like them more and more.

I am with you Dent. The finish is quite nice and different than most in a subtle way. I really like them much more than I thought considering that I have not really liked too many of the TM wedges leading up to this one.

We have received numerous questions via email asking when people can expect to find the wedge at retail. Here is the official response from Taylormade.

"It is shipping now to select green grass retail accounts. Will only be available in 56* with 12 * bounce. Customer orders can be made if the consumer wanted to order a separate face plate."

I have yet to see these in stores, but I am looking. They are a solid wedge. Thank you for all the kind feedback on the review on the home page.

Playing partners were using these wedges today from our review and just simply love them. Tim, the guy sharing a cart with me said they were both spinnier and had better feel than his normal wedges (50 and 54 Vokey and 60 Mizuno).

They were not in the stores today. I am still looking for them as well.

According to the TM quote we put up above, you will not see them in retail shops for a while. Just a select few green grass stores got them and the rest will be around Feb.

Is a green grass store a Pro Shop or something like that?

Green grass does equal pro shop. Many companies go to green grass 1st for a few months. But only with select equipment.

Any particular reason they go there first? My guess would be for additional feedback but I would also think that by that stage of the development all kinks/bugs/design flaws should have been worked out.

JB,

Also, is there any way we can find out if TM has sent them to any of the green stores in our area or do we have to wait until Feb for the general release?

Back