Times are Changing

provisional

Could Care Less
Reaction score
Handicap
10+/-
Yesterday I was watching the GC who was running a Shell’s Wonderful World of Golf segment with Byron Nelson, and Gene Littler. Gene Sarazen was the moderator. Besides the golf being played, I was also thinking how other parts of the game of golf has changed over the years. These guys were polite, the crowds were polite, and even Sarazin’s commentary had a “golfie” feel to it. I even developed a different read on the Pine Valley course they were playing on. I really enjoy watching these one on one matches, more so than the weekly events we are now accustomed to.

We all know about the game changing advancement in equipment technology, and the better turf conditions today’s players play on. Today’s fairways were yesterday green surfaces. Today’s putting stroke is a bit different than yesterday's stroke, due to stimp. But watching this show I would have to say that todays tour players have also changed, as well as the crowds. Granted golf was a back burner sport back then when compared to MLB and the NFL. The NBA had Wilt, and Bill dueling with each other. Track and Field might have even been further up the ladder than golf. Heck, I think we watched more boxing in our home than we did golf. Of course Arnie, and Jack were helping the sport along, to garnering more TV time.

Still, it is the players, and even the game to some extent that seems different now days. They still talk about the game of golf being a game of honor, integrity, a sport that polices it’s own rules, and players who call their own penalties. “We don’t have the problems the other sports have” has been thrown about by the powers to be. Well sorry professional golf, you do have the same problems other sports have. Honor, integrity, and even self officiating are all taking negative hits, caused by some of the bad apples on tour. On course, and off course, poor decisions by players, just as in any other sport have an effect on the perceived value, honor, and integrity of the game of golf. I am not going to list all the less than honorable decisions that players have made, or even some of the cheating that (allegedly) has gone on just this past year alone. I saw cheating taking place at the Shriners’ tournament. Little stuff, but still a rules violation. Nothing was done about those player's poor decisions. “We all do it” readily comes to mind. Anyone reading this has there own memory of something not quite right. Some of the PGA’s decisions on some of the rules violations, have even developed a smell of less than honorable arrogance to them.

Still there is more good going on in pro golf than bad. The money generated for charities is the best part of the game. There are still more, fine upstanding players on the pro tours than bad ones. The bad one’s just seem to stand out more so, which is due to the type media coverage we have today. Of course, being a top 10 player, good, or bad will usually over shadow any good done by those lesser ranked players. Again, that’s a media thing.

Don’t know why I wrote, or even bothered to post this gibberish. It started out as just a note on my personal blog. I am not an accomplished writer by any means. Maybe it is because I woke up this morning to find that the GC is no longer part of my CATV package…………unless I want to pay more money. :banghead:

I loved those old WWoG productions. It's fun to watch how different the mechanics of the game were because of the different equipment and course setup. It is really interesting to watch Jack Nicklaus' putting stroke change over the years as the greens got faster. I do wish that there was something like that being done now. Trouble is, these days you'd never get the top players to participate. There just wouldn't be enough money in it. They'd end up with someone 70 or 80 slots down the money list and nobody would care enough to watch, and the attempt would suffer a quick death.

I think back on the "Big 3 Matches" that were held between Palmer, Nicklaus and Player. Those were great broadcasts, but can anyone see Phil, Tiger, and Padraig doing that sort thing just as a treat for the fans? They'd have to be guaranteed at least a half million in appearance money over and above any match purse.

They did have the made for primetime matches. Sergio was born that way. It could still be done, as long as the right sponsors were involved. WHile the money may be bigger, so are the ratings and the ad fees, so the money equation is really out of it, if the companies really wanted to get it done.

Part of the difference back then was that they HAD to do it to drum up interest and right now that is just not the case.

They did have the made for primetime matches. Sergio was born that way. It could still be done, as long as the right sponsors were involved. WHile the money may be bigger, so are the ratings and the ad fees, so the money equation is really out of it, if the companies really wanted to get it done.

Part of the difference back then was that they HAD to do it to drum up interest and right now that is just not the case.

All you have to do is look at the rise and fall of The Skins Game to get a feel for the slim chance for success that any such exhibition matches would have these days. At one time the Skins attracted the best in the game, but look at it now. The pros used to play as much for the love of the game and the love of competition as for the money. You could see it in their approach to those exhibitions.

Now it's all about the money. There is too much of it available to split among the top players, so why just play around when they could be getting ready for that next real payday. Guys who are worth many millions, yet without a huge payout promised, they can't take a couple of days to play a fun match and give their fans a treat.

Most fans don't care about seeing #81 play a match against #75. But if #2 and #3 won't accept the offered challenge, what can they do? :confused2:

All you have to do is look at the rise and fall of The Skins Game to get a feel for the slim chance for success that any such exhibition matches would have these days. At one time the Skins attracted the best in the game, but look at it now. The pros used to play as much for the love of the game and the love of competition as for the money. You could see it in their approach to those exhibitions.

Now it's all about the money. There is too much of it available to split among the top players, so why just play around when they could be getting ready for that next real payday. Guys who are worth many millions, yet without a huge payout promised, they can't take a couple of days to play a fun match and give their fans a treat.

Most fans don't care about seeing #81 play a match against #75. But #2 and #3 just won't accept the offered challenge, so what can they do? :confused2:

While I agree a little bit, it is far too much of a generalization. And most of the pros from the past did not play for free either or are starving right now.

Top money is top money and those guys are well taken care of whether it be from this generation or the last. However to say they would not, is not accurate. Some would if done right and it has been talked about many times. Do you think Tiger was not already set for life when he did it with Sergio? Of course he was. These guys still love the game, but the game does not NEED it as much as the game needed it back in the day.

The other issue is sponsors and finding a group that can work together to get it done. A major network doing it prime time could have a 20 million purse if they wanted to based on advertising alone. Throw in sponsors and it could be even bigger. But the game as it is right now, does not need it, so there is no reason to go after the big payday.

Honor, integrity, and even self officiating are all taking negative hits, caused by some of the bad apples on tour.

provisional I enjoyd the read but the 3rd paragraph just seemed like a run at tiger. when in recent events has self officiating on the course taken place? I believe the honor and integrity is still there. I've been told stories by caddies at courses tour players visited in the 50's 60's and 70's that they would all meet on top of a bunker and watch and at a certain time all the players would up and switch their hotel room to the adjacent room to them. and as for the behavior and language their is a lot more coverage and microphones around than there every use to be. in the old days journalists wanted to be friends and in with the athletes and wouldn't write bad press.

as for the shell's golf challeneges I grew up on those and loved watching those. that brings back good memories. also boxing still has a core fanbase but it's nothing like it use to be.

I don't consider Tiger one of the bad apples on the golf course, and my post had nothing to do with Tiger's recent adventures.
provisional I enjoyd the read but the 3rd paragraph just seemed like a run at tiger. when in recent events has self officiating on the course taken place? I believe the honor and integrity is still there. I've been told stories by caddies at courses tour players visited in the 50's 60's and 70's that they would all meet on top of a bunker and watch and at a certain time all the players would up and switch their hotel room to the adjacent room to them. and as for the behavior and language their is a lot more coverage and microphones around than there every use to be. in the old days journalists wanted to be friends and in with the athletes and wouldn't write bad press.

Back