TM Driver Rumor from WRX

tacotruck

Reaction score
Handicap
This is from a thread at WRX:

"Hi, apologies if this info has been posted.

I was at my local range tonight and bumped into my local taylormade rep, who i attended college with, many moons ago.

Anyhow he is just back from a business trip he and sevral other taylormade reps had to taylormade headquarters.

He was saying that whilst there he was shown a prototype version of a new driver taylormade are releasing, possibly next year.

He said this driver has some type of microchip located in the head that will record swing speed, ball speed etc etc and various other shot statistics. After each round there will be some way to link this to your home pc and download all the information regarding your stats to your computer.

hes not the type of guy who would just say this for a laugh, hes pretty serious type of guy."

Has anyone (JB) heard about this?
:confused2:

I hate to sound cynical, but that sounds like a load of BS to me

maybe it'd work as some sort of fitting tool like that mizuno shaft analyzer thing, but I don't think we're ready for electronics in our drivers. (can you imagine having to charge the batteries on your driver?)

That's what I thought too. But you never know. Adams had that DIXX BLU Digital putter.

I will say this. I have both pictures and descriptions of each of the new drivers coming out in Feb of 2010. We will have them very soon and they will be in our driver shoot out. None of the drivers has any sort of chip in it. The two drivers being released are new parts of existing lines. We cannot post pictures or PR because of embargo dates.

In fact we have their entire product line for all of 2010 as of now and there is nothing anything remotely like this anywhere on it. All the protos are listed for every single category. It is not on there.

Thanks JB

Because of the membership size of WRX, there is usually a lot of good spy info on clubs spotted at PGA events. But there are also a lot of people who like to talk out of their arses. Obviously not the site's fault, but for some unknown reason, the larger the site, the more outrageous the supposed information gets. I tend to think there are a lot of insecure people trying to get attention and praise with supposed latest and greatest inside info.

My favorite recent, completely baseless, thread was someone claiming to know that Rory McIlroy was moving to TaylorMade this coming season. Another that Geoff Ogilvy was moving to Nike. The thread starter is invariably someone who "knows an insider at ________."

Having said that, I have absolutely no knowledge one way or the other about microchips in clubs.

I can't see where a microchip would be of any benefit unless you were going to use the stats for lessons or a swing coach for a pro. Plus, what does that do to swingweight? Who takes their driver in for a diagnostic check either??

JB, I don't want to hijack the thread, but can you tell us if TM are releasing new Burner irons in 2010?

Planning to buy Burners next month, but would wait if new version was on the horizon.

Thanks.

Edit - I'm a bit of a gadget nerd, so having a chip in my driver sounds fantastic!

Old stuff good too?

Old stuff good too?

Too heck with the new stuff, at least for now. Has anyone got any info on this TM: RH TAYLOR MADE r7 LTD TP 9.5 FUJ ROMBAX 75 S. Just curious how the R7 Limited Limited Edition TP stacks up?

JB, I don't want to hijack the thread, but can you tell us if TM are releasing new Burner irons in 2010?

Planning to buy Burners next month, but would wait if new version was on the horizon.

Thanks.

Edit - I'm a bit of a gadget nerd, so having a chip in my driver sounds fantastic!

Burner irons are still currently on their merchandise sheet as their Burner iron for next year.

Burner irons are still currently on their merchandise sheet as their Burner iron for next year.

Thanks JB, thats good to know. Nothing worse than buying something only for the 'new and improved' version to get released a month later.

A chip, I would imagine would only be useful for fittings to find the best driver and specs for the tester. In a real round I don't care what my swing speed, launch angle etc are... I just care where the little white ball goes.

And if this is the case why not just use a launch monitor where you can test every club...?

Too heck with the new stuff, at least for now. Has anyone got any info on this TM: RH TAYLOR MADE r7 LTD TP 9.5 FUJ ROMBAX 75 S. Just curious how the R7 Limited Limited Edition TP stacks up?

My brother, tha shanks, is a forum member here and plays that driver. shoot him a pm and get his opinion. i know this, he hits it long and previously used a burner if that tells you anything.

Nothing worse than buying something only for the 'new and improved' version to get released a month later.

Isn't that what Taylormade is all about?

I think it is a good idea. You could go back after a round and see what your stats were on the course and see where you need to change things up. I highly doubt a small microchip would alter swingweight much and I am sure they would compensate for this small change if there is one so you wouldn't even know it was there.

I heard that TM has developed a chip they can insert in your temple that will keep track of all your swings as well as monitor you for subversive swing thoughts. You install it on the end of a 16 penny nail which you drive in with a 20 oz framing hammer.

And this is the absolute truth because I heard it on the internet which everyone knows never has any misinformation on it.

I heard that TM has developed a chip they can insert in your temple that will keep track of all your swings as well as monitor you for subversive swing thoughts. You install it on the end of a 16 penny nail which you drive in with a 20 oz framing hammer.

And this is the absolute truth because I heard it on the internet which everyone knows never has any misinformation on it.

I made my own at home. Lots cheaper that way. :D

Yes. I got a lot of advice on how it all works from Al Gore. :clapp:

Gives new meaning to "I nailed that drive!".

The only news that would be news is if TM were NOT coming out with a new driver. :)

Back