Irons: Any 5+ Year Olds Out There?

ScottinPollock

Reaction score
Handicap
For me, it is the original Callaway Big Bertha Fusions. I have had newer irons, including R7's, X22's (which I didn't care for), and my current Ping's... but the Fusions find their way into the bag at times.

What are your 5+ year olds that keep finding their way into your bag?

I have the 2009 Burner Plus's. Not because I like them, but they were cheap when I was building my bag. Saving up for the new speedblades.

I just replaced my Mizuno MP-57s that would have been 5 or 6 years old. I liked them and had a couple other sets that never stayed and they would end up back in the bag until I resigned to the fact that with my bad back, I need something with more forgiveness.

Still miss my Hogan Apex Edge Pros...

I have the 2009 Burner Plus's. Not because I like them, but they were cheap when I was building my bag. Saving up for the new speedblades.

I came from the same set up to the SpeedBlades. Definitely a different animal. I hope you like them, I know I do!

Same here. At the start of the season I didn't have my own clubs and they seemed like a good place to start.

Yep. For me it is Cleveland Ta-7 Tours. Put them in the bag in 2004 and haven't taken them out since.

I have a Cleveland VAS 2 iron, that I can't bring myself to sell. Circa 1994 Haven't touched it this year, but it is about 30' away right now.

Sold off a whole bunch of irons over last few years and am happily left with 2002-03 Precept Tour Premium Forged.
Having said that, I will confess that I recently began experimenting with the Bridgestone J40s which may have a future in the bag :)

Switched midway through this year from my Ping ISI's that I got from a kid on the golf team in high school. That was 2002 I think, don't know what year he got them.

I'm gaming the Adams A3os set, but am starting to get the itch to upgrade. I've upgraded most of my bag this year and these are the last holdouts; not because I love them, but because my wife told me to stop buying any more golf clubs this year. :act-up:

I've been playin Titleist DCI 962b's. They're from the late 90's I believe. I sure do like em!

Recently picked up a set of Mizuno MX-11s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Mizuno T-Zoid Pro Forged here. Going to upgrade, probably to the i20s, in the spring. I think these things are about 14 years old. I got them used in 2004, and tried some G5s a few years ago, but came back to these. Definitely time for an upgrade, just gotta save the cash for it first.

Just took out the Titleist 695 mbs to put the J40 cb in play. I have not been consistent enough for the blades.... love them though

Was still playing my ping eye 2 black dots up until this past june, got them in 1997 and played easily over 500 rounds with them, bought razr x forged irons to replace them, not sure why i didn't do so sooner

Still gaming my Titleist 690.CB's. Think they came out in 2002. I am struggling with the long irons at the moment, don't play enough to be consistent. Looking at getting a little more forgiving irons in the near future.

What I don't understand is why everyone, myself included, get a new driver every year or two, but hold onto their irons for 5+ years. The technology in irons don't develop as fast as in drivers, but your grooves get worn. I read that Roger Cleveland said Tour players change their wedges 4 times in a year because of wear.

My bag contains the Ping i3 O-size irons as per my sig below, which I think came out around 2000?

Still using Mizuno mp-57. Great feel, precise distance control every time . Only downsides are not forgiving and not powerful like others. But they feel so amazing

I've just picked up some pre owned Callaway x20's for a good price. Considering my previous irons (Vantage Silver edition) were bought new in 1994 I consider this to be a major upgrade!

Will likely play these for the next 6 months/yr and then get fitted up properly.

What I don't understand is why everyone, myself included, get a new driver every year or two, but hold onto their irons for 5+ years. The technology in irons don't develop as fast as in drivers, but your grooves get worn. I read that Roger Cleveland said Tour players change their wedges 4 times in a year because of wear.

I replace my driver and wedges usually every three to four years if I have been playing lots. I find drivers get wore out alot quicker as well as wedges for me, but on my home course ill hit driver then 52,56,or 60 degree wedge on 3/4 of the par 4's, but I do hit a driver about 290-330 yards on average so it limits which clubs im using most

I am playing a set if Callaway x-18 irons I picked up in 2004-2005. I played with them for about a month and then put them up until Mat of this year when I took up golf in earnest. I will probably get some new irons next spring once I gt my swing worked out with my pro.

I'm actually looking for a decent older set of CB to use as a backup and to see if I can work the ball any. That is the one thing I don't care for in my current game improvement irons. I sometimes long to try and find a copy of a set of the Walter Hagen blades I gamed in the 80's while learning to play...

I replace my driver and wedges usually every three to four years if I have been playing lots. I find drivers get wore out alot quicker as well as wedges for me, but on my home course ill hit driver then 52,56,or 60 degree wedge on 3/4 of the par 4's, but I do hit a driver about 290-330 yards on average so it limits which clubs im using most

Almost the same with me, but in the last 11 years I have had about 7 new drivers and 3 sets of new wedges, but only one set of irons. The 690.CB's have been good to me, but that is way to long between sets!

Back