Why Not Change Balls Between Holes?

The only time I will switch balls is during a scramble, I will use more of a distance ball off the tee. Usually something I have found so if it happens to find deep rough or the trees it isn't something we have to look for.

I prefer to play the same ball all round most times. In the fall/winter/spring up here I'll play just whatever ball till I lose one and then swap, but I like knowing I'm playing a ball I know will react consistently hole to hole.

Cause im cheap

Ask the guys who I played with sunday I beat that 330rx to hell

I stick with one ball because I know what it will do in my short game. Chipping and putting are more important than 5yds off the tee. I also play a ball until it's lost or pretty beat up. That way I only feel mad about the bad swing and not losing the $4 ball.

I play a ball until it's gone no matter how beat up it gets. The only way it comes out of circulation is if I shoot a PB or hole-in-one with it.

When you guys have a ball with a significant scuff on it do you position it in a certain way when teeing it up? I know I always put the scuffed side facing down, sitting on the tee but I don't really have a good reason for doing it.

The Wilson Duo is a great ball when its chilly outside.

Great to know. I just started playing the Duo about a month ago. Plus, I usually keep 2 balls in my pocket any way (for those slice or hook to the woods or water holes).

When you guys have a ball with a significant scuff on it do you position it in a certain way when teeing it up? I know I always put the scuffed side facing down, sitting on the tee but I don't really have a good reason for doing it.

I was thinking about this same thing during last round after putting a big ol scuff on one of my balls. I usually will try to put the scuff where I can't see it.

Hey, if you want to swap balls every hole, go ahead. If you believe it helps you then, at least mentally, it does. I don't need the complications so I generally stick with the same type ball every hole.

I always play a b330rx for rounds that count. If I'm screwing around with my swing or trying something different I'll use whatever. I've never really thought about switching hole to hole.

Yeah, must be just an odd thing...I play in a lot of Pro-Am's (which the pro is merely your club pro, and team format) but those all instituted it...as well as our club championship (but they suspended 14 club rule go figure), and the PGA sanctioned tournament I played in (Gallatin Valley Open) all had one ball rule...

yes, all PGA tournaments (to my knowledge) institute the one ball rule...and you can change balls between holes, but has to be same ball type manufacturer and model...

If they do that then they are so wrong. I can't imagine any club calling it a club championship and then not following the rules. The 14 club maximum is not an option under the Rules of Golf.

For the PGA Tour, one ball is is a condition of the competition for all tournaments, but it is pretty rare to see it in club level events.

I change to an older/no-name/water ball on any hole I typically lose balls on on a regular basis. There are a few holes on my local course that are right along the wood-line so I'll play an old ball on those holes rather than lose a new ball in the woods.

There have been rounds that I haven't felt confident on any hole and preferred to play the water balls the entire round rather than losing a half dozen new balls.

Why Not Change Balls Between Holes?

I didn't think you were allowed to change balls???? Obviously if you are playing a round with your mates, you can do what you want, but if you are playing the monthly medal (if you have those over here), you can't change the type of ball you are using. You can't use a spin ball on a par 3 then change to a distance ball on a par 5. You can't even change ball colour as far as I'm aware.

So just read 15-1 that someone very kindly posted, and you can change balls completely unless the committee say otherwise. Learn something new every day :D

I didn't think you were allowed to change balls???? Obviously if you are playing a round with your mates, you can do what you want, but if you are playing the monthly medal (if you have those over here), you can't change the type of ball you are using. You can't use a spin ball on a par 3 then change to a distance ball on a par 5. You can't even change ball colour as far as I'm aware.

So just read 15-1 that someone very kindly posted, and you can change balls completely unless the committee say otherwise. Learn something new every day :D

You can unless they have made it a condition of the competition to disallow it. The regular Rules of Golf have no prohibition about changing balls between holes. So unless that is a posted condition, it is allowed.

This is the authorized condition from Appendix I of the Rules of Golf:

c. One Ball Condition

If it is desired to prohibit changing brands and models of golf balls during a stipulated round, the following condition is recommended:
“Limitation on Balls Used During Round: (Note to Rule 5-1)

(i) “One Ball” Condition

During a stipulated round, the balls a player plays must be of the same brand and model as detailed by a single entry on the current List of Conforming Golf Balls.
Note: If a ball of a different brand and/or model is dropped or placed it may be lifted, without penalty, and the player must then proceed by dropping or placing a proper ball (Rule 20-6).

I didn't know the rules allowed balls to be changed between holes either. I wonder why none of the ball companies have made a commercial advertising advantages of using different models of their balls on different holes. One reason might be that the ball companies figure the typical golfer would use the same total number of balls whether they are the same model or 2 or 3 different models. Another reason might be they are advertiising their most expensive balls as being great balls for every condition. We golfers might be able to save money by using different models of the cheaper balls depending on the type of hole we are playing.

I currently use the Callaway Hex Chrome +. When choosing a ball I start with how it reacts in the short game and then make sure it will stop like I want from the fairway and lastly gives me the trajectory and distance I need with the driver. When I find a good combination of those elements that's what I go with and there's no need for me to switch to a different kind of ball on either a par 3, 4 or 5.

For most golfers it isn't an issue anyway. Those of us who don't put much spin on approach shots and rarely hit where we're aiming wouldn't see any kind of change in our scores from doing it. I've tried it during scrambles and other rounds and a premium ball will release just as much as a cheap one for me. So now I've gone back to using one type of ball for the entire round to try and keep some consistency.

The only thing that would affect me is if there was a big difference in distance off my irons between the balls. If I had to keep adding or subtracting yardage depending on which ball I was using, it would put more mental pressure on my game. It's bad enough trying to account for wind and elevation without adding another variable into the mix.

No wonder Titleist owns the golf ball market. Play the ProV1x and you get all three balls rolled into one. It's longer than any 2 piece distance ball. It's straighter off the driver than any other ball and its feel around the greens is incredible. I used to complain about the top dollar price but now I see why they can charge that much. It's cheaper than buying three separate boxes of other balls.

Back