Cleveland 588 Altitude Driver Preview

You could say that callaway copied TaylorMade and the burner Superfast 2.0 with the lighters shaft and grip

Cleveland and Wilson were both prior to the SuperFast 2.0 as well.

Wouldnt that mean that the OptiForce copied the Cleveland SL270 and Cleveland Black? :D

Callaway is pretty new to this lightweight shaft/driver game. The SL line was the first I remember in recent history. I remember taking cuts with that 39 gram shaft back at the first big THP outing. I was stunned.

Callaway is pretty new to this lightweight shaft/driver game. The SL line was the first I remember in recent history. I remember taking cuts with that 39 gram shaft back at the first big THP outing. I was stunned.

Cleveland has been messing around with different weight heads for awhile now, IIRC. The SL 270 & 290, then another in 310 grams, I believe.

Hard to sleep on Cleveland. They haven't really been following the general flow of design, but they've been making really high performance stuff.

I'd hit it!!! :act-up:

I tried a couple other irons before I settled on the Altitudes, and there was no comparison. I hit the Altitudes higher and further than the Taylormade Rocketbladez and Callaway X-Hot.

If the driver has the same feel as the irons at impact, this could be a special club for a lot of folks. Looks like the driver is the same idea as the irons; long accurate shots that get up in the air with a nice easy swing.

Just watched the video and really like what I hear....I don't have a tour swing speed.

Looks like the Matrix Radix (mid launch) is the stock shaft. Excited to give this a go!

Love that there is no adjustability...definitely helps to keep cost down....especially on a target audience which does more harm than good (generalization) with adjustability.

resizer.php

Just watched the video and really like what I hear....I don't have a tour swing speed.

Looks like the Matrix Radix (mid launch) is the stock shaft. Excited to give this a go!

Love that there is no adjustability...definitely helps to keep cost down....especially on a target audience which does more harm than good (generalization) with adjustability.

resizer.php

That's a solid point Cookie, and the Radix shafts are solid offerings based on the research I have done on them. I wonder home much the average joe golfer really does mess with the adjustability on their driver? I'm not sure that I would, much at all. I know I would at first, but once you get a feel for what works, why change it? You wouldn't be able to change it mid round if you were playing on tour or in a tournament, right...so saving some money could be a factor for some.

That's a solid point Cookie, and the Radix shafts are solid offerings based on the research I have done on them. I wonder home much the average joe golfer really does mess with the adjustability on their driver? I'm not sure that I would, much at all. I know I would at first, but once you get a feel for what works, why change it? You wouldn't be able to change it mid round if you were playing on tour or in a tournament, right...so saving some money could be a factor for some.

Actually I tinker with mine often, generally to my detriment. I get this feeling of relief thinking about a non-adjustable driver.

resizer.php

$299 was the preorder price.

Hey guys Alex here. Some of you may know me via Twitter (@ADePallo), but I wanted to provide you all some info & photos of the new Altitude driver.

588 Altitude Driver

In stores everywhere 11.15.2013

Price - $299

Advanced technology makes hitting longer, higher and straighter drives easier than ever before. Ultralite performance gives more distance to game-improvement players and those with moderate swing speeds.

Features

PRECISION WEIGHTING - High-strength, lightweight wall construction allowed us to redistribute more weight lower and deeper in the club head. The result is Precision Weighting, which promotes the highest, straightest launch with higher MOI for more head stability through impact.

ULTRALITE TECHNOLOGY - Achieve more club head speed and distance with the same swing effort. A lightweight head, shaft and grip combine to weigh 270 grams, and traditional swingweight is maintained for more control throughout the swing.

LARGEST SWEET SPOT - Our latest enhanced variable face thickness technology creates the hottest flight on center strikes and even faster ball speed on off-center hits for maximum forgiveness.

PREMIUM MATRIX RADIX SHAFT - This lightweight shaft is designed for a mid-high launch with smooth feel and explosive speed.

Full spec details and custom offerings can be seen at http://www.clevelandgolf.com/US_588-altitude-driver__588_altitude_driver__viewProd_drivers.html

BWpr3k0CQAA3olX.jpg:large

If I can find a driver that increases my ball flight like the tudes did I'll be happy. I'll be checking this out for sure.

10.5 In this has to be mine. Super intrigued for sure.

Alex! Good to see you and thank you!

Going to be honest. I'm intrigued. That looks like a very pretty driver. Not sure about the sole design unless there's some weight distribution scheme behind it, but I like the crown graphics; looks like it was designed to frame the ball for reference.

If it hits comparably to the Launcher Comp, I might go back to being a Cleveland homer.

There is something about that driver, I don't know why but I love the looks of it. I'm becoming such a Cleveland homer.

12* not available in LH...sigh, same old, same old. I've always wanted to try a higher lofted driver than 10.5* (without having to go adjustable), but the OEM trend continues...

Definitely want to swing one. Graphics on top look nice.. seems like it'll frame the ball well, as someone else said.

The graphics remind of something out of tron. I like the angles and I'm sure it's a solid beast. Glad to see Cleveland remaining relevant in the driver game

I like the look. Will try it out but me and Cleveland woods have never jived

I think Cleveland golf in general doesnt make flashy equipment. They make more classic looking (no pun intended) clubs that work just as well as the other companies.

Agreed! That's partly why I'm loyal their equipment. Not crazy about flash and gimmicks. No surprise that the Altitude driver is simple visually. If it's anything like the Launcher Comp I'm all over it. Stiil own 2 Comp 460's that I'll never part from. Fingers crossed...

This looks like something Id like to try. I can almost guarantee I wont like the stock shaft but I'll give it a try anyways. The head seems to have all the characteristics I would look for...depending on the spin numbers it throws out.

Back