What are you making for your party?

Esox

Reaction score
Handicap
I hosted Thanksgiving at my house for my family and did the basic turkey and fixin's.

For Christmas I have the family for a Christmas Eve "small plates" party. This year I'm making the following hot small plates.

Caramelized onions and short ribs braised in a red wine sauce and served on a teeny pile of spaetzle.

Duck braised and shredded in a guajillo/chipotle sauce. Served on little corn crepes with cilantro, a squirt of lime, and a dollop of creme fraiche.

Spicy butter poached shrimp.

Sauteed wild mushrooms, garlic, and Boursin cheese on puff pastry squares.

Diced roasted red pepper, garlic, diced chicken, and goat cheese on puff pastry squares.

Mrs. Esox is doing a couple cold appetizers. Prosciutto wrapped melon and something else she hasn't decided on yet. She's also responsible for dessert.

Sorry GolfGal22, I'm not doing the chicken livers. Mrs. Esox thinks we'll have too much food to make something only two or three of us will eat. I know the real reason is she doesn't like the smell of chicken livers, but I'm letting it go.

This is my favorite gathering of the year.

Kevin

We're having a lamb roast and spiral cut ham.

Caramelized onions, Brussels sprouts, asparagus and some other stuff I can't remember!

We're having a lamb roast and spiral cut ham.

Caramelized onions, Brussels sprouts, asparagus and some other stuff I can't remember!

What kind of lamb roast? A leg o' lamb? Now I want to do a lamb appetizer. Hmmm....I loves me some lamb.

And I also just remembered that Diane sent me an Italian sausage/cheese crostini recipe. Maybe I have me some thinking to do.

Kevin

We're having a carry-in at the office today and I made some tamales. Not typical for Christmas in my neck of the woods, but at least it will warm us up with these cold temps. As for the real holiday cooking, I'll leave that to the professionals (mostly grandma).

I'm a guest this year so I'm not cooking anything, but I know Christmas Eve will be seafood and Christmas day will be a standing rib roast.

this thread is making me very hungry! We have nothing special planned for Christmas, most likely do what most Jews in America do....order Chinese food and watch a movie.

Esox-

If you ever end up making that chopped liver please let me know.

I bought a prime rib roast from the New York Prime Meat Co. 20 days dry aged. Sent it to me in a cooler. I call it mail meat! My neighbor is making a baked ham and his mama is making tamales. Gotta have homemade tamales on Christmas out here.

this thread is making me very hungry! We have nothing special planned for Christmas, most likely do what most Jews in America do....order Chinese food and watch a movie.

That's my kind of night. Where do you find a Chinese (or any restaurant for that matter) open on Christmas?

That's my kind of night. Where do you find a Chinese (or any restaurant for that matter) open on Christmas?

That's why we have Chinese it's the only place open, well that and the movie theater. Maybe it's different in other places but in Florida (or at least everywhere I have lived in Florida) Chinese is always open on Christmas.

That's why we have Chinese it's the only place open, well that and the movie theater. Maybe it's different in other places but in Florida (or at least everywhere I have lived in Florida) Chinese is always open on Christmas.

I'll have to keep that in mind for my late evening food run on Friday.

Christmas Eve: Pheasant braised in wine and butter with mushrooms. The rule in our house is: if I shoot it, I have to cook it.

Christmas Dinner: Prime rib. I don't get it. I didn't shoot the cow but I still will be the one cooking the roast. Actually, I'm cooking the roast 'cause I like doing it. My wife will be making Yukon Gold mashed potatoes. Haven't figured out the other sides yet unless you count the bottle of good cabernet.

Happy Holidays Y'all !

-Steven

My own specialty. Rum soaked fruit cake. I made 10, one pound cakes for various friends. I also made up some rum babas for our family. Among other things, I like to cook, and bake stuff from scratch. I took home economics in high school on a dare, and also because all the good looking girls were in the class. Learning to enjoy the art of cooking, and baking was a nice extra.:banana:

Im spending Christmas in NE Wisconsin with my parents and I was informed the other day that we will be having chilli and BBQ for Christmas dinner.
Just incase you are wondering, no, my family is not from Texas.

Im spending Christmas in NE Wisconsin with my parents and I was informed the other day that we will be having chilli and BBQ for Christmas dinner.
Just incase you are wondering, no, my family is not from Texas.

Is that a tradition or do they just like to try new and different things on holidays?

We already did our eggnog and Christmas cookie party.

I do Christmas Eve. It's usually turkey, but this year it will be beef tenderloin, yukon gold mashed potatoes, and brussel sprouts with pine nuts in cream sauce.

Typically, Hubby makes a chocolate peanut butter pie for dessert, but we have been gifted with two cakes, so I told him we'd use those.

SIL does Christmas. She lives in a coop with a stove that never works right, so I suspect it will be a spiral ham. An interesting choice, because her husband is Jewish.

We already did our eggnog and Christmas cookie party.

I do Christmas Eve. It's usually turkey, but this year it will be beef tenderloin, yukon gold mashed potatoes, and brussel sprouts with pine nuts in cream sauce.

Typically, Hubby makes a chocolate peanut butter pie for dessert, but we have been gifted with two cakes, so I told him we'd use those.

SIL does Christmas. She lives in a coop with a stove that never works right, so I suspect it will be a spiral ham. An interesting choice, because her husband is Jewish.

Are there chickens in this coop? If so, how do the chickens feel about ham in their coop?

Kevin

Are there chickens in this coop? If so, how do the chickens feel about ham in their coop?

Kevin

Interesting story about one of the coop residents, but it's not for a public forum.

Our Christmas menu:

Making/cooking:
Two 8 lb prime ribs
a 14 lb deep-fried turkey
a 15 lb honey baked ham
smashed potatoes
stuffing
green bean casserole
creamed cauliflower
sweet potatoes
fruit salad
cheesecake

Purchased:
rolls
NSA apple pie
NSA cherry pie
NSA pumpkin pie

Our Christmas menu:

Making/cooking:
Two 8 lb prime ribs
a 14 lb deep-fried turkey
a 15 lb honey baked ham
smashed potatoes
stuffing
green bean casserole
creamed cauliflower
sweet potatoes
fruit salad
cheesecake

Purchased:
rolls
NSA apple pie
NSA cherry pie
NSA pumpkin pie

And I thought my three ovens was enough to cook just about anything. THAT is a lot of chow.

I love a standing rib roast.

Kevin

I love a standing rib roast.

Kevin

Me too. Sadly enough, there isn't much in the way of leftovers for some reason, every year. The turkey goes first, then the standing rib roast, then the ham.

Is that a tradition or do they just like to try new and different things on holidays?

Just something new. My father doesnt like turkey and they figured that by now my brother, his wife and I would be pretty burnt-out on turkey.
Im OK with it, you can never go wrong with chilli and BBQ. Its homemade chilli, so its not as if they are buying a dozen cans of Hormel chilli.
Sometimes they make a ham, sometimes a turkey, sometimes something random like what they are doing this year.

I'll be a guest at my brother-in-law's house for Christmas dinner, so nothing for that. But I'm having my family over this evening for our get together, and I started the cooking last night. I'm making 2 loaves of ciabatta bread, split pea soup, Italian meatball soup, and salad. The bread takes about 5 hours, but the sponge was mixed last night because it has to rise and build some flavor. The peas for the pea soup had to soak overnight.

When I finish typing this I start to work and won't be done until 6 PM (8PM EST). I will however be sipping wine throughout the afternoon, so it's not all work and no play. :D

I always make my holiday punch.....7up, hawaiian punch, vodka, sherbet. Simple yet potent. :beat-up:

Were doing some tri tips and a turkey at my brothers house. Ill probably make some cranberry salsa and maybe some sweet potatoes. I havent figured it out yet.

Back