Anyone Use Iron Headcovers?

I don't use them. I've had my G10's in the bag for 2+ years and they look brand new. I had Eye 2's for close to 10 years, never used iron covers, and when I traded them in they also looked brand new.

I guess they could help if you used forged irons, or irons that "dinged" easily (my old Big Bertha 2006 irons as an example), but even then I didn't use them. Just my Old School thinking. :confused2: Nothing against those that use them though!

What I don't understand is not using "wood" or hybrid covers. The crowns of those clubs can take a beating in the bag and can get old looking pretty quickly.

I don't use them, I bought a Revolver to keep my clubs from clanging together. My clubs have so much bag chatter on them that it doesn't really matter though. I just bought the Revolver because it was cool.

I may try them because:

1) I carry my bag and don't like all the racket
2) As someone else said you can walk to your ball and not disturb anyone getting ready to hit their next shot and,
3) It might help a bit with forged irons and bag chatter. I don't know though as
I just received my first set of forged irons and haven't been able to hit them yet.

I don't get the "poser" reference though. Usually it refers to an individual who is pretending to be something he or she is not. I don't know what iron head covers would have to do with that.

I dont use them, but many of the guys in my group do. Here is one more thing that they do that can be a good thing. They can prevent theft. Someone may not be as inclined to steal a set of clubs if they do not know what they are. Its unfortunate, but we have seen it before.

Here is a tip if you plan on using them. Keep your clubs clean and dry. The iron covers can act as a trap for moisture and cause rusting (on certain clubs) or issues in general.

I dont use them, but many of the guys in my group do. Here is one more thing that they do that can be a good thing. They can prevent theft. Someone may not be as inclined to steal a set of clubs if they do not know what they are. Its unfortunate, but we have seen it before.

Here is a tip if you plan on using them. Keep your clubs clean and dry. The iron covers can act as a trap for moisture and cause rusting (on certain clubs) or issues in general.
Hi JB,

I read about the moisture trap issue in another forum and it was suggested, and I have implemented, that you cut out a hole (or holes) in them to prevent that type of buildup. I have the ones made of neoprene and I cut out a 1-inch hole on both sides. This provides the needed ventilation but still maintains the protective and noise-prevention qualities of the covers.

I don't use them, I bought a Revolver to keep my clubs from clanging together. My clubs have so much bag chatter on them that it doesn't really matter though. I just bought the Revolver because it was cool.

Now...once I get the Revolver, I can do away with the covers...
I lose the headcovers, but gain a beer cooler...functionality at its finest...

:banana:

I have found that many of people who use iron covers are a bit slow on the course. It seems to take forever for them to take the cover off, hit the ball and put it on again for every shot. Most of the people I see using them are new to golf or just bought new irons and haven't gotten their first ding yet.

I used them for a few rounds. I was tired of them after one round but since I spent the money on them, I tried to like them. Didn't. PIA to deal with. Plus people thought I was a poser. :D

I used them for a few rounds. I was tired of them after one round but since I spent the money on them, I tried to like them. Didn't. PIA to deal with. Plus people thought I was a poser. :D

:rofl:

They can prevent theft. Someone may not be as inclined to steal a set of clubs if they do not know what they are. Its unfortunate, but we have seen it before.

Yeah, instead they'll just take the putter and the driver with the colorful "Steal-This-Club" headcovers announcing "Scotty Cameron" and "TaylorMade R9 TP".

Those two clubs are worth more than the irons anyway and it's a lot easier to run through the parking with them rather than a whole set of irons.

-JP

Yeah, instead they'll just take the putter and the driver with the colorful "Steal-This-Club" headcovers announcing "Scotty Cameron" and "TaylorMade R9 TP".

Those two clubs are worth more than the irons anyway and it's easier to run through the parking with them rather than a whole set of irons.

-JP

Who says you can't use generic headcovers for your woods and putters?

Those two clubs are worth more than the irons anyway and it's a lot easier to run through the parking with them rather than a whole set of irons.

-JP

That is what Daphne's headcovers is for. I have a dog on my driver and most have never heard of a SeeMore for my putter.

Who says you can't use generic headcovers for your woods and putters?

Sure you can, that's all I've ever used.

But let's get real here; how many people who fork over the coin for a Scotty or the latest "Toaster-on-a-Stick" can really resist the urge to advertise that?

Three out of one hundred maybe?

Four?

-JP

That is what Daphne's headcovers is for. I have a dog on my driver and most have never heard of a SeeMore for my putter.

Sorry, but I'm a Jan Craig fan. I LOVE my oversized pom pons (in Black and Gold, of course [with just a touch of white]).

But I DO have a Daphne "Gorilla" that I picked up on a whim once.

-JP

But let's get real here; how many people who fork over the coin for a Scotty or the latest "Toaster-on-a-Stick" can really resist the urge to advertise that?

Four?

-JP

No different than those that use iron covers. But its not always about showing off. Perhaps its about not wanting to spend extra money on a headcover.

My Jan Craig's:

JC2.jpg

-JP

Four?

-JP

Honestly? Not me. Although I want one of those daphne gorilla headcovers.

My Jan Craig's:

JC2.jpg

-JP

Now THOSE are cute!! I use Daphne's headcovers myself, I have 4 flowers total :) (2 for my woods and 2 for my hybrids)

Lets keep this thread about iron covers and not get into just headcovers. We have numerous threads on headcovers in general.

Yeah JB that is what happened with the bazooka iron woods this year little tiny rust spots on the top of the heads and I took care of the clubs religiously doesnt affect the performance of the clubs at some point this year I will get the affected ones replaced tour edge has a lifetime warranty on any of their clubs I will not touch the rust pock marks as that will void the warranty.

Honestly? Not me. Although I want one of those daphne gorilla headcovers.

I actually used that Gorilla headcover for a while but I stopped on the advice of a friend in my regular threesome. I had a tendency to try to kill my tee shots - especially on wide open holes and I was getting wild with them.

He suggested that I was subconsciously trying to "live up to" that headcover and that maybe I ought to get rid of it. I took his advice and I actually started to swing more smoothly, so I guess he may have been on to something after all.

So now it's just hanging in my "golf closet" and that's where it's gonna stay.

-JP

I'm no poser! I'm also not slow when I use my iron head covers. I use mine to keep my iron's looking their best. The clanking is annoying as hell when other people don't use them and hard on their clubs. I don't think of my irons as a piece of art, but an investment. (I even wash them once in a while, oh no!)

I wash my truck too and try to keep it looking good.

Back