Regarding Spikes on Shoes

When is it time to change out the spikes on the bottoms of your golf shoes? Is it just easier to buy a new pair of golf shoes? :confused2:

Definitely easier to just pop new spikes in. It will be obvious when it is time to change the spikes. The tines will be worn down.

wow you actually have to pay someone to change out the spikes? Not being a smart A$$ because I don't have golf shoes (yet) but i didn't know you couldn't change them out by yourself.

Super easy to change.

Can you even find golf shoes with metal spikes? A lot of the courses around here are soft spikes only and I was just wondering because when we went to the Chevron World Challenge, the players had metal spikes because you can hear them clanging against the cement. Is there any benefit to having one over the other? Does having metal spikes ruin the courses?

Metal spikes are pretty much banned everywhere. They tear up the greens, as well as walkways, bridges, etc.

Softspikes are more than adequate for amateurs. I prefer the Champ Stingers. I stay away from the Softspike Pulsars because I think they are too flexible and flimsy. All the other ones fall in the middle for me.

Yes they do. A decent one, like the one shown, costs less than $10.- and makes the job a whole lot easier. It will change all types of soft spikes (that I have come across).

51nTWwllFhL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I change them myself. On my Nike pair I lose a spike once and a while. On my Footjoys I break some spikes prematurely quite often. I can't go to the pro-shop or store every time that happens!

I have that one (I was hoping to find someone who sold just the bit, because I already have a couple of good ratchets from snowboarding. But no luck.)

If I had to do it again though, I would probably just get the $3 tool:

2558_2.jpg

Spikes don't turn enough to need a ratchet action, and I've found that my ratchet slips sometimes.

And definitely don't try to use the cheap divot tool with spike wrench (the ones that usually come in the pakage with the spikes:

enlarged_greenskeeper.jpg

They just bend and tear up the holes in the spikes.

Last edited:
The spike tool is a lifesaver and makes it so easy to pop in a new spike whenever needed.

The one that Harry showed last is a MOFO on hands too, I couldn't even get all the spikes out of my shoes with it.

If I had to do it again though, I would probably just get the $3 tool:

2558_2.jpg

That's the one I have, and the only one I've ever needed. It's worked just fine on every set of spikes I've had to change.

Are there specific tools for each shoe or are they pretty much universal? :confused2:

And definitely don't try to use the cheap divot tool with spike wrench (the ones that usually come in the pakage with the spikes:

enlarged_greenskeeper.jpg

They just bend and tear up the holes in the spikes.

For a quick fix - it works fine. I had a spike come loose on the course and used it.

Are there specific tools for each shoe or are they pretty much universal? :confused2:

GC-

The tools (wrench) is universal. The spikes themselves can differ (usually by brand). I believe that there are 3 main types of spikes... Fast Twist (compatible with Q-lock), Large Plastic Thread, and Small Metal Thread. My Adidas and my wife's Footjoy shoes use the Fast Twist spikes.

-Steven

GC-

The tools (wrench) is universal. The spikes themselves can differ (usually by brand). I believe that there are 3 main types of spikes... Fast Twist (compatible with Q-lock), Large Plastic Thread, and Small Metal Thread. My Adidas and my wife's Footjoy shoes use the Fast Twist spikes.

-Steven

How do you know which spikes you have??

CHeck with the manufacturer. Most company websites list exactly which spike type they are. There are only a few different ones.

I got lucky with one of my new pairs. They use the same ones as my old Nikes so I've already got a spare set.

Changing spikes with that $3 is very simple. No reason to pay someone else for something I can do in five minutes.

The one that Harry showed last is a MOFO on hands too, I couldn't even get all the spikes out of my shoes with it.

+1 That @#$%@&@ thing sliced my hand open several years ago. Got 3 stitches for my trouble.

I have found, like has been suggested, that a proper T-handle type tool workes well. The one that Harry showed with interchangeable bits is the one I use now. The bits will go in any power drill. Use it to take out old spikes.

Hint: Clean the bottoms of your shoes before trying. Dirt and dried grass can make it hard to extract the old spikes. I have even set my shoes in the work sink with a little layer of water (just enough submerge the bottom of sole) just enough to soften any impacked mud/dirt/grass around the threads.

Good luck.

As stated, tools are universal. Every spike just has 2 holes in it for the tool.

As swong mentioned, there are several different types of fastening styles for spikes:

(1) Q-LOK: I know Ecco and Nike use these.

(2) Fast Twist (a.k.a "Tri-LOK"): I know FootJoy uses these.

(3) Small Thread

(4) Large Thread

Here is a chart:

SpikeGuide.jpg

How often do you change your spikes?

How often do you change your spikes?

I was thinking today.... I have never changed the spikes in my golf shoes. How often should should I change them? Do they effect your preformance if you don't change them? Is it easy to change them? Thanks! CC

I think I've only changed spikes once on any pair of golf shoes I've ever owned, probably not a good answer, but the truth. It probably means I've bought new shoes when I should have been replacing spikes!

i notice a big diff when my spikes arent "biting" anymore... so i change them as soon as i see some pretty good wear... some times ill change all of them at the same time but other just whatever is bad off

Merged two threads on the subject.

I inspect my shoes before I play and only replace the broken or missing spikes. The Champion replacement spikes I bought last year had four extras and I have a couple left.

I change mine every june/july. I only play 7 months out of the year though being from canada

I check my spikes after every weekend of golf. I replace any that are torn or missing parts , or getting worn. I walk for most of my rounds and any time I'm on the cart path they seem to get worn out faster. I have been trying the Stinger spikes in my Foot Joys over the Black Widows and so far they have held up very well.

I was thinking today.... I have never changed the spikes in my golf shoes. How often should should I change them? Do they effect your preformance if you don't change them? Is it easy to change them? Thanks! CC
It's very easy to change them. I find myself changing them when I spin out of swing or my feet don't stay planted.

As a side note, I try not to wear my shoes outside of the course and really don't like walking in the parking lot or on sidewalks with them. I try and walk on grass with them as much as possible to have the spikes last as long as possible. I try not to be too neurotic about it, so sometimes I'm forgetful that way.

same here Biggsy, I usually wont put mine on till I'm in the cart ready to go. and will aslo check them after almost every round or if I feel myself spin a little on a drive. I carry extras in my bag with a wrench. but some like large thread you dont even need a wrench

I agree with Biggsy and SH, I always try to put my spikes on at the last minute and try to avoid walking on pavement as much as possible

I change mine once every couple months but I'm also pretty lazy and put my golf shoes on before I leave the house if I'm going to my home course which is less than a mile away so it's not a big deal driving in them. If I didn't do that though, once a year would probably be enough.

Back