What's for Dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a veal chop. I love veal chops in restaurants. I've mentioned it before, but the best meal I may have ever had was a veal chop stuffed with porcini mushrooms at a restaurant called Ristorante Limoncello in Boston's North End. The scallop asparagus risotto was also killer.

I see they have one on the menu now stuffed with wild mushrooms and black truffles. That would work, too. I wish I was closer to that chop. We could be friends.

Kevin

I always thought I was the only one tempted to cross state lines for a favorite meal. Its nice to know Im not alone. :clapp:

I always thought I was the only one tempted to cross state lines for a favorite meal. Its nice to know Im not alone. :clapp:

A buddy and I once left WI at bar time and drove over night to Kansas City, MO for Arthur Bryant's BBQ, Winsted's double cheeseburgers and milk shakes, and a Royals/Brewers game. Turned out the three game series ended the night we left Cheeseland.

So we ate BBQ, drove around for awhile, ate cheeseburgers and drank milk shakes, then drove home. That was a long drive. Good food, though. It was Calvin Trillin's fault.

Kevin

A buddy and I once left WI at bar time and drove over night to Kansas City, MO for Arthur Bryant's BBQ, Winsted's double cheeseburgers and milk shakes, and a Royals/Brewers game. Turned out the three game series ended the night we left Cheeseland.

So we ate BBQ, drove around for awhile, ate cheeseburgers and drank milk shakes, then drove home. That was a long drive. Good food, though. It was Calvin Trillin's fault.

Kevin

You have to tell the rest of that story. Though I suspect you were inspired by something he wrote.

American Fried. In that book he stated Arthur Bryant's was the best restaurant in the world because they did one main thing, smoked beef brisket, and did it perfectly.

Mrs. Esox has since taken the place of the buddy, though at almost seven years as roommates, he and I were close to common law. I initiated a split because I suspected that he coveted one half of my 1981 gold Buick Riviera with the balky transmission and ability to grind starter fly wheels to dust on a tri-monthly basis.

When we travel she always does research on our destinations intent on finding restaurants known for doing one or two things very well. She has found some wonderful funky places through the years. We never eat like tourists, and for that I thank the wisdom of Mr. Trillin.

Kevin

I'm visiting my parents and I thought of Harry whose mother has been making special meals for him every night since he arrived.

Ummm, sorry to burst your bubble, but the things my mom has cooked up until tonight (Christmas Eve dinner, and then Christmas Day dinner tomorrow) are the things she would be cooking anyway. Whether I was here or not. In fact, what we had tonight and what we will have tomorrow is what my parents would have had for Christmas Eve and Day, even if I wasn't here.

This was tonight (I took the photo before the steamed/seasoned asparagus made it to my plate):

photo-19.jpg

Geez Harry. You Texans dont mess around when it comes to meat.

And I cleaned my plate too.

Then had homemade pecan pie.

I hurt this morning.

I did my once-a-year baking session last night - I baked two banana nut breads from scratch. I tried an internet recipe that looked promising, but all I know so far is that they smell heavenly and look delicious. I guess I will wait to taste when the family arrives around lunchtime...

Geez Harry. You Texans dont mess around when it comes to meat.

One other thing G-Man.

You see the two knives there by my plate? One butter knife and one steak knife?

After buttering a roll, I forgot I was still using the butter knife and I proceeded to cut up several pieces of the prime rib to eat . . . with the butter knife . . . and I couldn't tell it was the wrong knife because the meat cut just as easily.

After buttering a roll, I forgot I was still using the butter knife and I proceeded to cut up several pieces of the prime rib to eat . . . with the butter knife . . . and I couldn't tell it was the wrong knife because the meat cut just as easily.

Dayumm, my mouth is watering just reading that.

One other thing G-Man.

You see the two knives there by my plate? One butter knife and one steak knife?

Im going to buy you a shirt for the next time you visit your parents.
Spoiler
60068156v3_225x225_Front.jpg
Spoiler
You guys eat a lot of beef.

Christmas Eve Dinner

Christmas Eve Dinner

We had prime rib (oh so good) and mashed potatoes and salad and soup (crab/lobster bisque) :hungry:

Christman Dinner

Christman Dinner

We're having turkey with scalloped potatoes, yum :hungry:

We had standing rib roast too with turkey, Vietnamese dumplings, butternut squash, yellow squash, green beans, mashed potatoes, green salad, tomato and mozzarella salad and semolina rolls. For dessert, we had red velvet cake, white chocolate cheesecake, brownies and the trio of vanilla, ginger and maple shortbread I made.

We had tomato soup and grilled ham and cheese.

My wife's not making anything. She said she's planning to not cook until after the new year. The fridge should have enough leftovers to last us a while, so for dinner it's probably... let's see... some eggs, ham, rolls, more Christmas candy, Rolaids...

photo-20.jpg

photo-21.jpg

photo-22.jpg

photo-23.jpg

We had a deep-fried turkey too, along with a couple of prime ribs, honey-baked ham, smashed potatoes, stuffiing, yadda yadda. Man, there was a lot of food!

photo-23.jpg

BTW, I need to learn how to carve a turkey like that. I have an electric knife, but the slices never turn out like that, lol.

We had a deep-fried turkey too, along with a couple of prime ribs, honey-baked ham, smashed potatoes, stuffiing, yadda yadda. Man, there was a lot of food!

photo-23.jpg

BTW, I need to learn how to carve a turkey like that. I have an electric knife, but the slices never turn out like that, lol.

Actually, that was a smoked turkey. The white bowl holds mom's cornbread stuffing, which might have been the best ever this year. SO moist and yummy. Mom said I could post the recipe for anyone who wanted it, so as soon as she recovers from two days straight of cooking and baking, I'll have her dig it out (she does it from memory these days) so I can type it up.

Dad does the slicing. And that's with a standard (non-electric) carving knife. I need to get him to teach me how to do that. If it's a dead animal, dad can carve it clean. (I need to get him to teach me how to clean fish too. When he does it, there is no wasted meat.)

Harry, don't your parents think it's kind of odd for you to be taking all these photos of food?

Christmas dinner was at SIL's, as usual. It was terrific--just ask her.

Taco Soup

EDIT: For the record I wouldn't find it odd for Harry to take pictures of dinner if he were at my house sooooooo, I'm sure his parents don't find anything he does odd.

Last edited:
Leftover lamb roast from Christmas Eve dinner.

homemade hot meal. steaks on the grill mash potoatoes gravey and corn.

Taco Soup

EDIT: For the record I wouldn't find it odd for Harry to take pictures of dinner if he were at my house sooooooo, I'm sure his parents don't find anything he does odd.

Yeah, right--got a bridge you want to sell me?

Crab cakes and a great shiraz at the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back