Anyone Use Iron Headcovers?

The definition of faux pas is Social blunder. I thought that was what 4putt was saying when he said "frou faw", if not I misunderstood.

You misunderstood. I think Fourputt mixed two things - frou frou and geegaw, but basically he was saying that iron covers are showy trifles that he doesn't use. He was not saying that anyone who used them made a social blunder.

LBlack, some people are so convinced they are not only right, but that everyone else that does it different is just wrong. It makes me laugh, especially when they categorize people in social groups because they do something different, lol. Why these people are so concerned with telling me I'm a poser or frilly type because I use an iron cover I don't know, but I do know it wouldn't happen in person... twice.

I don't want the backs of my irons chewed up by bag chatter! Also, I can play as fast as anyone else who does not use the covers. If someone has a problem with that then they need serious help... just saying!

That's great, your clubs are purty. Unless you somehow feel they are investment & you will recoup the $$ when selling them, what difference does a few dings, nicks, etc make? I consider them character & part of playing the game.
Exactly. Used golf clubs arent worth squat, no matter what kind of condition they are in. If someone seriously cares enough to check and see if my irons are all dinged up, they seriously need to get a life.

Exactly. Used golf clubs arent worth squat, no matter what kind of condition they are in.

Again, I have nothing for or against them, but just about everything used has far less value than anything new. But it does not mean someone should not respect it, or take care of it. I equate it the same way to a car. I love taking care of my car, because I like the way it looks when it is detailed. I dont care if others do not take care of their car the same way, but I do like the way it looks when it is done. The same way some love to take care of their clubs.

Again, I have nothing for or against them, but just about everything used has far less value than anything new. But it does not mean someone should not respect it, or take care of it. I equate it the same way to a car. I love taking care of my car, because I like the way it looks when it is detailed. I dont care if others do not take care of their car the same way, but I do like the way it looks when it is done. The same way some love to take care of their clubs.

That would be like buying a used truck and getting all upset because the bed had some minor scratches or dents. I call that normal wear and tear.
To each their own though. I think iron covers are kinda pointless, but Im not about to look down upon those who choose to use them. :confused2:

That would be like buying a used truck and getting all upset because the bed were all scratched up and dented up. I call that normal wear and tear.

You are exactly right. However if you were to buy a new car or truck, some like to keep it looking that way for as long as they can. I do not use them, but I do understand why others do.

What I said way back in the early part of this thread had NOTHING to do with any of you here. I have never played with any of you (except Royal Wulff), so I wouldn't think of pointing any fingers at you. If you take what I say personally, then it isn't my concern.

What I said applied to the people I have played with in the past. I stated observations and tendencies, not absolutes. That is ALL I said.

My personal opinion is that iron covers are unnecessary fripperies. Some of you disagree. Then you say that I'm inconsistent because I happen to want to provide necessary protection for my graphite shafted woods and my aluminum headed putter. Those I consider as necessary to protect the function of the club. Iron covers only protect the appearance of the club, which I don't worry about as none of them will have any resale value 8 or 10 years from now when I replace them due to their being functionally worn out. :dohanim:

I GUARANTEE you I will not loose money and they are somewhat of an investment. I plan on keeping the set of the 1st heads as they are discontinued and they fit exactly what I like in an iron head. I will, however, piece out the 6.0 Rifle shafts I have in them now and make more money than I have in the heads, grips, ferrules and the shafts combined, it's how I work and sort of a hobby. I have tried, bought and sold more clubs than alot of you good folks have owned in your lifetime, together. It's not a brag, but like I said a hobby. I buy, build, try, sell and trade whole pieces and or parts. I don't pay retail EVER and always get a good enough deal that I know I can come out ahead in the end. That is one reason I am a proponent of covers for ALL my clubs.

Diane "frou frou and geegaw" are terms I am unfamiliar with so I apologize for the assumption to 4putt and you.

Dyna, I do get upset. I don't like being called names, period, and would expect you'd take offense if I threw out some derogatory titles in your direction.

Diane "frou frou and geegaw" are terms I am unfamiliar with so I apologize for the assumption to 4putt and you.

We all have different life experiences - both on the course and off that form our opinions. Sometimes we shout those opinions, but it's not personal.

The last set I bought, my current one, came with them.

Anyway, back to my original question. I'm curious as to where you purchased your current set that they came with iron covers? Do you have a link or a website name? I'll tell you why after I've heard your answer.

Dyna, I do get upset. I don't like being called names, period, and would expect you'd take offense if I threw out some derogatory titles in your direction.

And once again I state that nobody called anyone names, as Rick pointed out it's generalities in what we have seen on the course. If someone takes exception to personal experiences that myself or Rick or whomever have witnessed...oh well.

Due, nobody is telling anyone they are wrong to use them, hell for all I care you can wrap your entire club in a cover as it makes no difference to me. Want to gold plate your entire set, put spinners on your pull cart & wear a leprechaun suit while playing, go for it.

Reactions: JB
Why do you keep trying to stir this stuff up Dyna? If you don't care then why all the rest?

Oh Oh, you might get dinged for that.:D

Yes, I see you don't give a darn!

Iron covers are a joke & usually the only ones using them are posers. Pain in the butt to utilize while actually playing the game.

I said "usually". Around here nobody uses the damn things, not worth the trouble as they are just golf clubs not precious works of art. Think about it, you are hitting a ball, dirt, etc with them. No matter what they are going to get beat up.

And once again I state that nobody called anyone names, as Rick pointed out it's generalities in what we have seen on the course. If someone takes exception to personal experiences that myself or Rick or whomever have witnessed...oh well.

Due, nobody is telling anyone they are wrong to use them, hell for all I care you can wrap your entire club in a cover as it makes no difference to me. Want to gold plate your entire set, put spinners on your pull cart & wear a leprechaun suit while playing, go for it.

I'll do what I want with my clubs and laugh at your reactions all the way. Take a breath man!

I'll do what I want with my clubs and laugh at your reactions all the way. Take a breath man!

Like I said, do as you like. Obviously you are the one getting all worked up over nothing. Maybe some of your own advice would be good right now?:confused2:

Do you use covers on your woods and putter?

Irrelevant question,my putter has a soft insert,my driver,3 wood and hybrid have graphite shafts.

No I do not use iron covers.

I don't have a problem with anyone that does, as long as it does not slow play down. On that note, 2 of the 4 friends I normally play with that use them, play very slow.

8 pages on wether or not we use iron headcovers lol priceless :laughing:

Well maybe only 1 actual page of that, the other 7 pages are folks complaining that their feelings are hurt & don't wish to be ridiculed:bulgy-eyes:

Reactions: JB
Re: Anyone Use Iron Headcovers?

Lol welcome to THP Dyna^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

train-wreck.jpg

LOL, can't stop checking this thread out.

Are you kidding?

Compared to 50 pages on Tiger Woods' affairs, I'd say this is progress!

(At least it's relevant)

-JP

It is hard for me to believe that headcovers cause someone to play slowly. I would bet it is just about everything else, but not headcovers.

Can't stop stirring the pot can you Dyna??? I don't seem to hear people complaining, all I hear are people trying to re-ignite old news. By the way, thanks for the bad rep, only took a couple seconds after your last post yesterday.

This one may have run its course. If people want to have a debate over whether they like iron covers or not and have a real conversation, than we can keep this one up. Otherwise this one will be locked up.

It is hard for me to believe that headcovers cause someone to play slowly. I would bet it is just about everything else, but not headcovers.

I depends on how one handles them.

If someone is one of those "Felix Unger" types who has to have everything cleaned and in place before they get back in the cart and move on, then the headcovers become yet another thing to "do" before proceeding.

If, on the other hand, someone can either clean and cover their club while walking or riding and save the "tucking in" part for later, then knock yourself out.

As I've said many times, I really don't care what anyone does on a golf course as long as they don't violate the "Prime Directive".

As far as the covers themselves are concerned, to me they don't make sense since the clubs being covered regularly strike the ground (and whatever may be beneath it) on a regular basis, so what exactly is being protected? It's sort of like placing a sock over a hammer when not in use.

-JP

Are you kidding?

Compared to 50 pages on Tiger Woods' affairs, I'd say this is progress!

(At least it's relevant)

-JP

LOL true JP very true.....:comp:

Back