Cleveland Classic #4 Putter Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Great review, JB! I enjoyed the trickery, that's kind of fun.

Gotta at least try it out at that price if you're in the market for a putter.

• Admin
Great review, JB! I enjoyed the trickery, that's kind of fun.

GB,
It was fun from our side too. The faces people made when they found it was cheap, was kind of interesting. Some got excited and some got downright mad about their current putter. Very good stuff and a lot of fun.

Thanks for the review JB :)

Great review JB. Does it feel better than the Adams A4 putter? It face looks a bit more substantial so I was just wondering. At 69 bucks it is a super value.

Next time I'm in a golf shop I'll have to look for these. I love the looks of them, might be time to trade in the White Hot.

• Admin
Great review JB. Does it feel better than the Adams A4 putter? It face looks a bit more substantial so I was just wondering. At 69 bucks it is a super value.

It feels different Keith. For those that like the milled face, than yes, it will feel better. But if you are into inserts, the Adams will feel a lot better. Both are great for the money.

I saw these in my local pro shop this past Sunday. I had to ask my pro if someone rubbed all the 1's off the front of the price tag. What a ridiculous price!

Went to the local golf galaxy today. They didn't have the Classic #4, but tried the Classic #1. It felt real nice. I'll have to try the #4 when they get it in, but definitely think I'll be picking up one of these.

I tried the Cleveland and Adams A7 yesterday and have say I was quite impressed with both $70 putters. The A7 won out in my informal testing as I was much more accurate with it. I liked the dot on the top line of the shaft along with the line which was very useful as an alignment aid. The only knock I had on the Cleveland as compared to the A7 was the lack of a top line alignment. Other than that, both felt about the same to me and are equally admirable putters for the money. I didnt buy either one but wanted to share my thoughts.

I tried the Cleveland and Adams A7 yesterday and have say I was quite impressed with both $70 putters. The A7 won out in my informal testing as I was much more accurate with it. I liked the dot on the top line of the shaft along with the line which was very useful as an alignment aid. The only knock I had on the Cleveland as compared to the A7 was the lack of a top line alignment. Other than that, both felt about the same to me and are equally admirable putters for the money. I didnt buy either one but wanted to share my thoughts.

Good input Keith. I didn't see the Adams at GG. I looked for it, but couldn't find it. Maybe I just missed it. I was tempted to walk out with the Classic #1, but went with a CG15 56* wedge instead..

Would like some advice.

I went and tried this putter out and I really like it! I'm thinking I'll go ahead and get it, but my local shop only has the 35" ones in stock. I really need one at 34". Rather than have them order it, how do you feel about them cutting the shaft down and regripping it? Would it make any kind of difference? Looking on Cleveland's site, the putter head itself doesn't seem to have any difference between the different shaft lengths.

Thanks!

Would like some advice.

I went and tried this putter out and I really like it! I'm thinking I'll go ahead and get it, but my local shop only has the 35" ones in stock. I really need one at 34". Rather than have them order it, how do you feel about them cutting the shaft down and regripping it? Would it make any kind of difference? Looking on Cleveland's site, the putter head itself doesn't seem to have any difference between the different shaft lengths.

Thanks!

WHy not have the store order it? What would it take 7-10 days to get it? Is there a substancial difference in cost? If not I say order what you want, and not worry about cutting and regrpping.

A friend of mine had one of these today and it was awesome looking. he says he putts well with it (but then again he did have a big lots putter before)

IMO the grips are pretty brutal on these putters. They are awesome putters expect for that. I would probably cut it down and put a different grip on it.

The one thing I havenoticed in the last few rounds since I switched to the Cleveland putter and away frm the Odessey is that I am making less 3 putts and more 2 putts. I dont think my green reading skill or frankly my putting stroke has gotten any better, but I do think the ball rolls nicely off this putter and I am more confident when I step over the ball now. I seem to be putting the ball in a 2 foot circle around the hole with each first putt ( which is the name of the game ) and hitting more of the 18"-2 ' putts. I am very happy with this putter and i have no intention of removing it from my bag any time soon.

IMO the grips are pretty brutal on these putters. They are awesome putters expect for that. I would probably cut it down and put a different grip on it.

I respect your opinion but I have had no problem with the grips at all.

I respect your opinion but I have had no problem with the grips at all.

Some dont care for it. In my opinion, it could be better. But for $69 its hard to ask for more.

Some dont care for it. In my opinion, it could be better. But for $69 its hard to ask for more.

And I even think it was JB who said that for that price, you could change the grip out and still come in under $80. (or something like that)

Thanks all for the thoughts. I thought I was heading out for a quick golfing trip so I wouldn't have time for CG to send a putter, but it looks like at least March now, so I'm going in to the shop to order one. I may even wait a little to try out the new CG putter. (of course, if I keep doing that it means I'll never buy anything! :tongue:)

And I even think it was JB who said that for that price, you could change the grip out and still come in under $80. (or something like that)

Thanks all for the thoughts. I thought I was heading out for a quick golfing trip so I wouldn't have time for CG to send a putter, but it looks like at least March now, so I'm going in to the shop to order one. I may even wait a little to try out the new CG putter. (of course, if I keep doing that it means I'll never buy anything! :tongue:)

I am thinking about gaming one of these BRZ ones and putting a white Iomic grip on it. i

The one thing I havenoticed in the last few rounds since I switched to the Cleveland putter and away frm the Odessey is that I am making less 3 putts and more 2 putts. I dont think my green reading skill or frankly my putting stroke has gotten any better, but I do think the ball rolls nicely off this putter and I am more confident when I step over the ball now. I seem to be putting the ball in a 2 foot circle around the hole with each first putt ( which is the name of the game ) and hitting more of the 18"-2 ' putts. I am very happy with this putter and i have no intention of removing it from my bag any time soon.

Congrats Rhino! It's gotta be an awesome feeling knowing that you can save a few strokes with a flat stick like that

Finally got a chance to demo this today at a local shop. At this price it's one heck of a deal when they get one of the BRZ ones in LH'd they'll be a call to be made. Another Cleveland product that is going to make it's way into my bag.

Picked up my new Classic 4 putter on Monday and took it out on Tuesday for a little putting practice. I did replace the very red grip with a basic black Winn grip.

All I can say is Wow! Really liked how the ball rolled off the putter head. Great sound and feel. One interesting thing is that I seemed to like the way the ball started rolling better when I moved the ball forward (about 2-3 inches) in my stance.

Looking forward to using this in my rounds.

Nice review JB. I just ordered a Classic 4 and I'm really looking forward to using it I've been strugging with a Nike Oz 2 for the last year so this has got to be an improvement.

Back