Golf Ball Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree.

BV - Read the Penta thread. I tried it too. JB didn't give me any, but the pro at my local muni gave me one. Everyone here knows I'm a high handicapper. I had shots that day that I've never had. Distance on iron shots that had my playing partners commenting were the best I ever hit. I hit an 8 iron from 100 that landed feet from the pin and stuck. My brother who is as skeptical as you, but more polite about it thinks I was just having a good day and I was in general, but it was more than that because I didn't use the Penta on every hole. On holes with water, I used another ball and it didn't perform nearly as well.

You are entitled to your opinion and we all know you play a lot of golf and play well so we'd like to hear it, but there is no reason to shout at us. Take a look around you - there are a lot of people here who love golf as much as you do and would love to have a conversation with you, perhaps even a debate, but not an argument.

In this case I think it's more the case of BV insinuating that TaylorMade/Cleveland or whoever is lining the pockets of THP to promote their products. That's the way I read his "unless the doctor is pushing penta balls" comment. This place was created with the complete opposite in mind. It's almost like the only reason he's here is to stir up the pot. I don't think everyone should agree on everything by any means, but it seems there's a handful of people who get their enjoyment by trying to cause problems.

I have to agree...unless I'm just blind I'd have to cast my vote as this site being unbiased.

I agree.

BV - Read the Penta thread. I tried it too. JB didn't give me any, but the pro at my local muni gave me one. Everyone here knows I'm a high handicapper. I had shots that day that I've never had. Distance on iron shots that had my playing partners commenting were the best I ever hit. I hit an 8 iron from 100 that landed feet from the pin and stuck. My brother who is as skeptical as you, but more polite about it thinks I was just having a good day and I was in general, but it was more than that because I didn't use the Penta on every hole. On holes with water, I used another ball and it didn't perform nearly as well.

You are entitled to your opinion and we all know you play a lot of golf and play well so we'd like to hear it, but there is no reason to shout at us. Take a look around you - there are a lot of people here who love golf as much as you do and would love to have a conversation with you, perhaps even a debate, but not an argument.

Give me a break D...

...the only one shouting here is JB...I'm stating my opinion which is what is usually done on discussion boards...ten pages on a ball? IMO anything that seems too good to be true usually is - too good to be true...like I said, I'll try the ball, I try all of them but I've heard from other places that the ball isn't special so excuse me if 10 pages here doesn't strike me as out of place...

D, I take a pretty dim view of you stepping into the fray for a mini lecture / favor currying; you and I have been down that road before...

Speaking to the thread, the 5 piece design seems gimmicky to me and reviews that I've read other places than here don't have special things to say about it...please feel free to debate me on that, but bashing me over the head in effect saying "I'm right, you're wrong" isn't that effective or persuasive...I added some quality ball choices that I stand behind that I've used, and I bashed one that I truly feel deserves it that I've played at least 6-7 rounds with (e6); feel free to have a discussion with me about those but if people are not allowed to have an opinion contrary to the popular views here however formed (I personally think that it's alright to not like a club based on looks alone) tells me that there is something vested in the popular items here...

I think it's notable that there are 10 pages on a ball and tells me that it is either a great product for a certain group of people, or a certain group of people have been told it's a great product...either way I think it's worth mentioning...

What can I tell you? I'm here to talk golf, love golf, love equipment, and make up my own mind about things..

Thanks again D...:beat-up:

Drink the kool aid and go TM Penta like everyone else...

I took this as joking around...

Sometimes horses drink the water that they're led to as well...
...unless the doctor is pushing penta balls...

I thought these were pushing the issues and getting off topic. THP does not accept advertising sponsorships etc from any manufacturers and here you are giving the appearance that it does. JB and the rest of THP have worked hard to keep this site independent (and honest), which can't be easy...

I can't speak for JB or anyone else, but I would have taken these accusations as a slap in the face, when I have worked so hard to create the complete opposite of what you were suggesting.

BV - Read the Penta thread.
You are entitled to your opinion and we all know you play a lot of golf and play well so we'd like to hear it. Take a look around you - there are a lot of people here who love golf as much as you do and would love to have a conversation with you, perhaps even a debate, but not an argument.

+1

Last edited:
Give me a break D...

...the only one shouting here is JB...I'm stating my opinion which is what is usually done on discussion boards...ten pages on a ball? IMO anything that seems too good to be true usually is - too good to be true...like I said, I'll try the ball, I try all of them but I've heard from other places that the ball isn't special so excuse me if 10 pages here doesn't strike me as out of place...

If you read that thread, you would see that it is not actually 10 pages, but 10 different people doing reviews on a product they received that were merged into one thread. I played the Prov1 up until the Penta off and on and have never said it was a bad ball. In fact our review on the home page says its quite good.

But do NOT accuse us ever taking money from a company because it is not done here. No ads anywhere. And we give the products away we can keep usually on the board. But we work with every single company out there, so there is no favoritism at all.

A new product came out and we wanted to share it with the forum members to test that product. If we had just reviewed it, you would say that was biased too. So we had forum members test it and their results came back the same as ours. Ty, Gummi Bear, The Due, Big Lefty, OrlandoGolf, and a handful more all got to try the ball out. You cannot please everybody, so we wanted "everybody" to test them out.

But I suppose if it is too good to be true, that would mean that about every brand, such as Titleist, TM, Ping, and everything else. Unless of course it is from a point of view that someone agrees with, than it is not.

I have tried the Penta,first impressions are thats its nothing special,although it is winter here and cold air etc will be having a negative effect. I will try them again once the weather is more beneficial and favourable.

In this case I think it's more the case of BV insinuating that TaylorMade/Cleveland or whoever is lining the pockets of THP to promote their products. That's the way I read his "unless the doctor is pushing penta balls" comment. This place was created with the complete opposite in mind. It's almost like the only reason he's here is to stir up the pot. I don't think everyone should agree on everything by any means, but it seems there's a handful of people who get their enjoyment by trying to cause problems.

We all read it that way Smallie. I was trying to give BV the benefit of the doubt since I've known him on golf forums for a few years.

Give me a break D...

D, I take a pretty dim view of you stepping into the fray for a mini lecture / favor currying; you and I have been down that road before...

Speaking to the thread, the 5 piece design seems gimmicky to me and reviews that I've read other places than here don't have special things to say about it...please feel free to debate me on that, but bashing me over the head in effect saying "I'm right, you're wrong" isn't that effective or persuasive...I added some quality ball choices that I stand behind that I've used, and I bashed one that I truly feel deserves it that I've played at least 6-7 rounds with (e6); feel free to have a discussion with me about those but if people are not allowed to have an opinion contrary to the popular views here however formed (I personally think that it's alright to not like a club based on looks alone) tells me that there is something vested in the popular items here...

I think it's notable that there are 10 pages on a ball and tells me that it is either a great product for a certain group of people, or a certain group of people have been told it's a great product...either way I think it's worth mentioning...

What can I tell you? I'm here to talk golf, love golf, love equipment, and make up my own mind about things..

BV - I have known you to be a bit arrogant, but are someone who truly loves golf. Until you came to THP, I've never known you to argue for the sake of argument or to make false accusations. In the past, I have always thought you were a straight shooter even though we didn't see eye-to-eye.

You should thank me - I'm the one who told you about THP - silly me. I'm also the one who defended you today saying you probably just got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning and weren't normally such a jerk. Then I come back and see this post and read the PM you sent me. You're digging your own hole by making false accusations about JB, GG and THP. I'm done defending you and quite frankly, I was the only one who bothered to do that.

i have not had the pleasure of playing with the penta yet but plan to, and plan to b/c so many of my peers here have done so and reported back with fantastic feedback. thp is full of all types of golfers: young, old, male, female, fast swing speeds, and slow ones and that's what makes this place great. i like the E6 and might not like the penta, but i won't know until i hit it. i understand BV that you don't like all the hype but you've yet to even hit the ball. i don't think you intentionally tried to stir up such a pot but you have. i think that you have a lot to offer here and i enjoy reading your opinions b/c there's no doubt that you love golf. however, your opinion of the penta means zilch to me b/c you haven't even played it. unfortunately, you've put yourself in a position where you probably can't like the penta, that sucks for you.

Okay, I haven't been around much lately because of family stuff, but I have to say:

WTF?

Rather than write a long post that repeats a lot of what has already been said, I'll just say +1 on Diane and Smallie's posts, and add that, as a reviewer, no one from THP or a manufacturer has ever requested or demanded that my reviews turn out a certain way. BV, maybe that's what you are used to from other sites, but that's not how things work here. And I would be the first to walk if that ever happened. But I know it won't, because the whole reason JB started the site was because he was sick of seeing that. No one here "pushes" product. (There is no reason to.) What we do is rave about products we like.

As for your "opinion" . . . you need to exercise a little more modesty and a lot less hyperbole. There is a massive difference between saying "The e6 didn't work for me because ________." and saying "The e6 is junk."

Most people here know the difference between offering an opinion and acting like a troll. Either you don't, and should learn; or you do, and are intentionally acting like an arrogant arse.

Okay, I haven't been around much lately because of family stuff, but I have to say:

WTF?

Rather than write a long post that repeats a lot of what has already been said, I'll just say +1 on Diane and Smallie's posts, and add that, as a reviewer, no one from THP or a manufacturer has ever requested or demanded that my reviews turn out a certain way. BV, maybe that's what you are used to from other sites, but that's not how things work here. And I would be the first to walk if that ever happened. But I know it won't, because the whole reason JB started the site was because he was sick of seeing that. No one here "pushes" product. (There is no reason to.) What we do is rave about products we like.

As for your "opinion" . . . you need to exercise a little more modesty and a lot less hyperbole. There is a massive difference between saying "The e6 didn't work for me because ________." and saying "The e6 is junk."

Most people here know the difference between offering an opinion and acting like a troll. Either you don't, and should learn; or you do, and are intentionally acting like an arrogant arse.
QFT....

You should thank me - I'm the one who told you about THP - silly me. I'm also the one who defended you today saying you probably just got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning and weren't normally such a jerk. Then I come back and see this post and read the PM you sent me. You're digging your own hole by making false accusations about JB, GG and THP. I'm done defending you and quite frankly, I was the only one who bothered to do that.

Let me do it! Gee thanks Diane! This would have been better served in a PM don't you think? But then you would have missed your chance to show how special you are. You should try living a little farther from the keyboard sweet pea! :D I don't think you have to worry about the Big anymore and you all certainly don't have to worry about me.:laughing: I just hope this doesn't get censored before some who feel the same can read it! C YA!

Reactions: JB
This has officially run its course. We are going to lock it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back