JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Now that I no longer use off site storage for my collection, I want to know what others are using to store their wine.

We saw our wine bill and decided we could golf at better places! But we used to just store it in a wine rack in the kitchen. We almost bought a wine cooler at Lowe's or Home Depot but I'm glad we didn't!

Until now I've scrounged and made due. I've got a 50 bottle refrigerated cabinet that is holding a few more than that thanks to creative bottle shifting, an 8 bottle refrigerated cabinet, and a section of racking that will hold about 70 bottles in a dark, closed section of the cellar under my basement stairs that rarely exceeds 68 degrees in summer for shorter-term bottles (i.e, stuff I'll drink within 2-3 years). However, great news is that my buddy just got married and is moving into his new wife's apartment, which doesn't have room for his 200 bottle refrigerated cabinet -- so I'm getting it for $100 bucks!

• Admin
I had a 650 bottle storage that I am just wishing right now that I could have back. I think I will just pick up a smaller unit for now and get to drinking...hehe

Paper bag.

We have some Williams & Sonama-type vaguely Scandinavian looking wine rack thing that sqeezes into the end of a basement storage closet. Like WSE's, it stays cool all year. Extra bottles are lined up in boxes along the side. We also have wine cubbies in the kitchen, but they only hold 10 bottles and are mainly decorative.

I will add that my refrigerated cabinets really wrinkle the labels from moisture. But I guess that's better than drying out the corks from too little humidity.

• Admin
Really? I never had that issue with my Vinotemp that I had before.

This is an easy one. Convert your basement to a real wine cellar like Bern's Steakhouse. I think they have 10,000 bottles down there.

Basement? Whats that? No basements in FL, we would be under water. Shanks, we love Berns but I think they actually have A LOT MORE than 10k now.

I have a 20 case unit at the Wine Cellar in Irvine CA and have a 44 bottle dual zone Magic Chef for the house.

We have a root cellar in our basement that stays a constant 50 degrees year long. So that is where we keep or large collection of home made wines.

My wife drinks it at a rate faster than we can store it, so "the bottle" usually sits on the kitchen counter.

My wife drinks it at a rate faster than we can store it, so "the bottle" usually sits on the kitchen counter.
That's were I store mine too...in my belly

I have an unopened bottle of Tequila that is 40 years old which is the only liquor I have saved. As for wine we don't keep it long enough to store it. We probably drink a bottle between the two of us every week with dinners and such. :D

I have an unopened bottle of Tequila that is 40 years old which is the only liquor I have saved. As for wine we don't keep it long enough to store it. We probably drink a bottle between the two of us every week with dinners and such. :D
How have you held onto that bottle since you were a teenager?

I never even knew you could rent wine storage. What kind of storage fees and atmosphere are we talking about?

CHeck out a place out your way called fifty-five degrees TGM. One of the best there is.

I will add that my refrigerated cabinets really wrinkle the labels from moisture. But I guess that's better than drying out the corks from too little humidity.

How can that be? Normally you should actually get around 45-55%RH in a proper winecabinet (and yes i know from laboratory testing in controlled invorements ith RH ranging from 50 to 90%), without getting to technical this is due to the condensation on the evaporator, So may by you should have your cabinet checked or at least ask the vendor what there test results are?

Where do i store my wine, normally at the wine store and then picked up as needed, that's a way to keep the usage down:D

Actually thinking of bringing home a dual temperature wine cabinet (Range 5-22 degree C) individual setting top bottom so right serving or storage temp can be achieved.

Now that I no longer use off site storage for my collection, I want to know what others are using to store their wine.

Living in Houston, there are no basements either due to the flooding. At home, I have two Vinotemp, 30 bottle wine cellars, and two 260 bottle Eurocave units. But as one of my wine mentors told me, the problem with wine storage is that you always run out! How true. After filling all of the above units, I had to move to professional off-site storage. I now have expanded into two full-size lockers. It's nice because of the security - I put all of my long-term bottles there. I did spend quite a bit of money on the Eurocave units, but they are the best - WELL made, reliable - not a lick of trouble. Always maintains the wines on great rolling redwood shelves. I highly recommend them.

I never even knew you could rent wine storage. What kind of storage fees and atmosphere are we talking about?

When I moved to SOCAL from WA earlier this summer I googled wine storage Orange County CA and the Wine Cellar Club was the top site. They have been in business 19 years and have very loyal customers. Felicia is fantastic to work with, you can even have your wine shipped directly to the site. The facility is kept at 57 degrees & 65-75% humidity. The cost depends on the size of the locker.

check out: winecellarclubinc.com

When I moved to SOCAL from WA earlier this summer I googled wine storage Orange County CA and the Wine Cellar Club was the top site. They have been in business 19 years and have very loyal customers. Felicia is fantastic to work with, you can even have your wine shipped directly to the site. The facility is kept at 57 degrees & 65-75% humidity. The cost depends on the size of the locker.

check out: winecellarclubinc.com

I was with them before switching to 55 degrees a little after that.

Back