Golf?My whole life. My incredible story

NJS139

Reaction score
Handicap
hey everyone,
it is now 10 pm. Im sitting in the IMG academy located in Bradenton, Florida. Im german I'm 16 years old and left my whole family for this sport. this is my story …
i started this sport about 2 1/2 year ago. My first sports were soccer, tennis and table-tennis. I always wanted to be in my sport a professional in the future. I starred soccer at age of 5. I was pretty talented but i would not make it to pro. I was always good, but never enough to maybe go to the big league. I hit my first golfball actually at the age of 9. My grandparents introduced me. They were shocked of my first swing. More and more people came to the driving range to watch me. After my session my mother said to me if I wanted to start playing golf. But back then i loved soccer and so my mother let me stayed playing soccer. For her it was always important that I'm happy. I was always very ambitious. After my grandparents said to me numerous times i should please starting playing golf I gave it a try. That was at the age of about 13. I really liked it. I was in a private still which kept me a bit away of school. I loved golf. I practiced and practiced and practiced. In one year my handicap went down from 54 to 17. We knew that with the private school i maybe had to stop golf and so my mother allowed me to switch school. I came into a boarding school with offered golf. It allowed me to practice 5 days a week. I just got better and better. I don't go out and party. I don't smoke. Im very focused. In the next year I started to become good. First round even par win couple of junior tournaments. After almost 2 years of golf I was willing to give me whole private life up for this sport. Then last summer I have been to Scotland where my new coach is stated. Incredible golfer played 6 years on the European Tour. This summer I just dominated. THere were days where I practiced and played 12 hours a day. I would say in Summer I practiced or played golf about 30 hours a week. I won a lotos junior tournaments there. I had an average score now of 75. people could not believe how I could improve in such a short time. Then because me and my mother wanted to best place to practice I send to about 8 golf academies in USA if they could offer me a scholarship. EVERYONE of them offered me a scholarship. I chosed the IMG Academy which is pretty famous (Paula creamer, Peter Uihlein). And from up then my game got worser and worser and worser. I changed my whole swing. Everything. My swing was not good but with my hard work I managed to play okay. After 8 weeks I changed my first coach here. He said the whole time how great I'm doing. Told me at the beginning :"Give me 6 weeks and you will hit it great!" Could not help me. And know I have a knew one. Very experienced. I'm now in a group with post graduates. They are all between 18-26 years old and most of them upcoming tour pros.

I practice my ass off. I do not have any day off; I do not have any free time. I practice 4 hours and then 1 hour putting in completely darkness. On the weekend I practice 8 hours Saturday and about 6 hours Sunday. Thats almost 40 hours a week of golf. More than any other golfer here (about 120 golfer). It is terrible how I play. Catastrophic contacts. I'm sitting here and I'm thinking what is wrong. No talent? I have right now a 50 yard slice with my 7 iron (that is no joke). My club face is completely open. My swing plane? Very good no problem at all. Starts the first 5 yard perfect and then goes totally to the right but that is just since a few days like that. Before It was mostly completely heavy hit. I would say my average stroke went from 75 to 100. Having tomorrow a meeting with the director (coaches paula creamer and coached hunter mayan). The thing is i give everything into this sport. Everything I have. But i get nothing out. Not Output. But I will never give up. Not before I've given everything I've got
That's my story so far. Story continues ...

Last edited:
Welcome to THP! Pretty incredible story you have there. Hoping for the best for you and your game.

I am just south of you in Sarasota, and play over at IMG a good bit.

Welcome to THP and good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is one cool story to read. Good luck on getting back to your best golf! And welcome to THP

That was a pretty intense story! I am in no position to comment on your game or what is currently ailing you but it sounds like you have the desire and the work ethic to get it straightened out. Keep plugging away man!

Welcome to THP.

Very fascinating story, thank you for sharing. I cannot imagine the sacrifices you've made for this game. Don't worry about the swing, you'll get it back in time.

Welcome to THP, I hope your swing changes work for you in the long run.

Welcome to THP. That is a cool story. Started off similar to my 17 year old son. He's obsessed, but only focused on college. He's never even mentioned having the desire to go pro. Good luck in your endeavor and keep us posted on your progress.

Welcome to THP! Good luck with your game!

welcome, keep on golfing.

Wow, best of luck getting your swing figured out. Swing changes are tough. Welcome to THP, though. Hopefully you enjoy the interaction here. You'll get a lot of encouragement from the other forum members, for sure.

Welcome to THP. And cool story, hope you get back to your game.

Welcome to THP and good luck with everything.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck chasing your dreams and goals. Please keep us updated on how things are going. You will have lots of folks pulling for you and wishing you encouragement.

Tapatalking on my iPad

Welcome to THP

Welcome to THP.
That is a good story. Keep up the work. It sounds life you have the game, but the swing change has had some issues. Keep working on it. You are living the dream. Get everything you can it out it. You never know how far you can go until you give it everything you have. And it sounds like you are going about this the right way. Good luck.

Welcome. Hope everything works out for you

:welcome:

Interesting story, and thanks for sharing. I'm sure your swing will come back around. Welcome to THP.

Welcome to the club! Sounds like a very interesting journey so far in your young life.

Quite the journey you've embarked on, best of luck!

Welcome. I went through a similar struggle with tennis around your age. It puts a lot of pressure on yourself and that doesnt help at all. Go out there and play becasue you love it and the swing will take care of itself. Good luck man.

Keep on keepin on man. Sounds like you have the talent and just need to get some things locked down - even top tour pros go through serious swing changes where they can't hit a thing straight. You'll get it!

Back