The Official 2009 NFL Thread

You and me both. I've got my magazines, chips, salsa, and the TV pinned to NFL Network on draft day. I think Cleveland picks at #3 this year (Rams #1 Lions #2) and I think the Lions pick DT McCoy out of Oklahoma which would leave Berry there for Cleve.

We may need a separate thread for this. :clapp:

You are right, it was a typo. I still am not sure a DB will go that high this year. Both sides of the line look pretty stacked and they need help all over. I can see them taking someone on the line or dropping down to take a DB and a skill player.

This brings back bad memories of Dallas not having a first round pick last year for of all people ROY I cant catch a cold WILLIAMS!!! Man what a dumb dumb dumb move by Jerry. And then they gave away our second round pick too! Honestly I think Jerry was trying to save money with the new stadium costing him some serious cash.

This brings back bad memories of Dallas not having a first round pick last year for of all people ROY I cant catch a cold WILLIAMS!!! Man what a dumb dumb dumb move by Jerry. And then they gave away our second round pick too! Honestly I think Jerry was trying to save money with the new stadium costing him some serious cash.

But it all evens out because Miles Austin was an undrafted FA that you stumbled on. Boy is he going to get PAID this year.

But it all evens out because Miles Austin was an undrafted FA that you stumbled on. Boy is he going to get PAID this year.

Yes he will. I think hes been on the team for 2 or 3 years now. Been hurt before this year if I remember correctly. And I think this is the last year of his contract. Too bad jerry gave all that money to Roy before he made him earn it.

You and me both. I've got my magazines, chips, salsa, and the TV pinned to NFL Network on draft day. I think Cleveland picks at #3 this year (Rams #1 Lions #2) and I think the Lions pick DT McCoy out of Oklahoma which would leave Berry there for Cleve.

We may need a separate thread for this. :clapp:

No, Cleveland kicked butt this year (5-11) so they are actually drafing after KC! :D

I think the draft order is (at least the top 10):

1. St. Louis (1-15)
  2. Detroit (2-14)
  3. Tampa(3-13)
  4. Washington (4-12)
  5. Kansas City
  6. Seattle(5-11)
  7. Oakland
  8. Cleveland
  9. Buffalo(6-10)
  10. Miami(7-9)

At least this is the way they are listed in the League standings on NFL.com.

if that's accruate, look at all the teams in the Top 10 that need a QB....

poss Wash, Oakland, Seattle, Buffalo, Cleveland

I'd guess it is, except for any trades of this years picks that could change that.

I say not one of those teams takes a QB with a top 10 pick with the exception of possibly Buffalo, but I do not see them either. Oakland, no way. Seattle possibly, but not yet. Washington, has one more year with JC I believe, and Cleveland needs one badly but outside of top 10.

I've seen one mock draft that has Oakland and Cleveland switched.

Re:The Official 2009 NFL Thread

If you throw shanahan into the mix in washington Im not so sure he will stick with JC. You know how he likes to have his guy and isnt afraid to go get him (cutler).

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Redskins-Shanahan-010510

Report: Redskins reach deal with Shanahan

Mike Shanahan has reached an agreement in principle Tuesday to become the head coach of the Washington Redskins, according to a report. The Denver Post reported that the Redskins will announce Shanahan's hiring Wednesday.

The Redskins moved quickly in their pursuit of Mike Shanahan on Monday, flying in the former Denver Broncos coach on the same day the team fired Jim Zorn.

"It's real clear that we're going to be aggressive," general manager Bruce Allen said Monday. "What we're looking for in a head coach is somebody who can lead these men that we had in our locker room this year to levels they've haven't played through before."

Shanahan's deal will be for five years, near the same salary he had during his final contract with the Broncos — approximately $7 million a year. He coached the Broncos from 1995-2008 and had three years remaining on his deal when he was fired nearly a year ago. The Broncos will pay approximately $3.5 million each year in 2010 and 2011, the Post reported.

Shanahan, who will turn 58 during the 2010 preseason, has a 154-103 record, including playoffs, as an NFL head coach, including an 8-12 mark from 1988-89 with the Los Angles Raiders. He led the Broncos to back-to-back Super Bowl titles in 1997-98. Shanahan guided the Broncos to only one playoff victory in their next 10 seasons. Shanahan would become Washington's seventh coach since Dan Snyder bought the team in 1999.

"No one in the organization is satisfied with our record over the last two years," Snyder said in a statement released by the team Monday, "and I am sure that Jim would concur with that statement. It has been painful for him, too. I certainly accept responsibility for mistakes that I have made. I am hopeful that our fans will accept my commitment and pledge to deliver a franchise that can compete in the NFC East every season."

If they can keep Snyder at bay, Shanny and Bruce Allen will clean house and in 3 years they'll be relevant in the NFC East again. JC will stick around for one year (due to lack of depth at QB in draft) and they'll work on the line and dumping salary this year, so don't be surprised if they trade down. Allen reworked the Raiders (which is not easy with big Al) and the Bucs (with the Glazers who have a quick trigger). It'll be interesting to see all these cry baby millionaires be shown the door when the new sheriff pulls the trigger.

Here’s the order that teams will make picks in this year’s draft, which is scheduled for April 22-24 in New York.

1. Rams (1-15)
2. Lions (2-14)
3. Buccaneers (3-13)
4. Redskins (4-12)
5. Chiefs (4-12)
6. Seahawks (5-11)
7. Browns (5-11)
8. Raiders (5-11)
9. Bills (6-10)
10t. Jaguars (7-9)
10t. Broncos, from Bears (7-9)
12. Dolphins (7-9)
13. 49ers (8-8)
14. Seahawks, from Broncos (8-8)
15. Giants (8-8)
16t. 49ers, from Panthers (8-8)
16t. Titans (8-8)
18. Steelers (9-7)
19t. Falcons (9-7)
19t. Texans (9-7)

10-11, 16-17, 19-20 will be decided by coin toss.

I say not one of those teams takes a QB with a top 10 pick with the exception of possibly Buffalo, but I do not see them either. Oakland, no way. Seattle possibly, but not yet. Washington, has one more year with JC I believe, and Cleveland needs one badly but outside of top 10.

I'll agree with you on Cleveland. I don't see them taking a QB in the first round, well atleast not top 10. They have TOO MANY holes to fill so I'm not sure who they will draft. I would like to see them pick up a defensive lineman or linebacker. I guess it all depends on who they bring in as GM and what they and Holmgren decide is best for the team.

Anyone know the last day to declare for the draft for underclassmen? I want to say it's like the first or second week of February but I could be wrong on that. I would think it's before "National Signing Day" and I think that's in Feb also.

Well that sucks that Shanahan is going to Washington, not that it matters because Jones has his yes man, buttkisser head coach.

Well that sucks that Shanahan is going to Washington, not that it matters because Jones has his yes man, buttkisser head coach.

You have to give Coach Cupcake credit for how the team is playing now. Specially the D. I hate to do it myself but credit is due. Now we'll see if he can finally win a playoff game.

And as a Cowboys fan I dont ever want to see the foreskins get better. And I think they most definitely got better.

If they make it to the Super Bowl this year (it ain't happening) I'll give him some credit, otherwise I still think he needs to go. I saw that Jones said last week he doesn't want to make a change, so I don't think it matters.

Go Wade Go and take Jason with you!

You have to give Coach Cupcake credit for how the team is playing now. Specially the D. I hate to do it myself but credit is due. Now we'll see if he can finally win a playoff game.

And as a Cowboys fan I dont ever want to see the foreskins get better. And I think they most definitely got better.

Shanahan's winning percentage without Elway was much lower than with John at QB, something like 20+ points lower. Shanahan is not the answer for any team in my opinion. Washington will no longer be toally inept but they will not do a lot better than average, maybe get to around 500 at best.

Cowboys are hot right now and playing up to their talent finally for the first time in several years.

Cowboys are hot right now and playing up to their talent finally for the first time in several years.

true, true, but it's the D that's winning games for them, and personally, I think that Romo is highly overrated. they'll choke this weekend b/c that old ghost of not winning in the playoffs for over a decade will be in the back of some guys minds', Romo's in particular.

true, true, but it's the D that's winning games for them, and personally, I think that Romo is highly overrated. they'll choke this weekend b/c that old ghost of not winning in the playoffs for over a decade will be in the back of some guys minds', Romo's in particular.
that'd be the nail in the coffin.after the way they wupped up on Philly this last game

That's my fear right now, of course if it would get rid of Phillips and Garrett then I'm okay with it.

Not sure what you are basing that 'over rated' opinion on except that maybe you just don't like the Cowboys period. Romo had over 4,000 yards again. Looks to me like there aren't many QBs starting who have had better years. Their playoff failures over the past few years have not been entirely Romo's fault. The defense has played terrible in those games. In my opinion only Brees, Rogers and Favre in the NFC have played as well or better this year and Brady, Rivers and Manning in the AFC are the only ones I would take over Romo. Maybe Schaub. And that is with Romo having one less receiver to throw to than most teams have on the field at any one time. I don't count Roy Williams as a receiver. Not sure what he is doing out there or why he is still starting for them. This is not the same team or the same players that lost for 10 years, I don't think that is going to have anything to do with this game coming up. The only loss that matters to this team is the one to the Giants a few years ago when they went on to win it all that year. They relaxed the week before that game, they won't make that mistake again.

[YOUTUBE]vRn5b4BJyiI[/YOUTUBE]

That's just mean spirited JB, we have been trying to forget that happened.:D

Spoiler
That was the first thing that popped into my head though

Nobody can blame the Defense on that one. The guy always puts up great numbers in the regular season. BUt we are not dealing with Dan Marino here and a team that comes close or a team that has no talent. This team is loaded with talent on both sides and still has not won a playoff game.

Back