I'm a firm believer in having separate hobbies, I golf, hunt and drag race to get away from my wife. I've never tried to hide that fact and I don't invite her along to try and show her why I love doing those things. If she decides to take up the game of golf she needs to take lessons and find some friends that play.

I agree with you on this MO. She has her horses and I have my golf, hockey, moto, baseball and some other things I cant think of right now.

Gasman's and Mo's approach are the path I would chose.It's nice to have something that's yours without the wife or girlfriend.But some feel that's not the way to go and if that works for them that's great.

I don't agree. I've played a lot of golf with my Wife and Daughter over the last two years and never had more fun. I get to play more and am playing better than I have 20 years. Watching them improve has been great.

Kevin

I don't agree. I've played a lot of golf with my Wife and Daughter over the last two years and never had more fun. I get to play more and am playing better than I have 20 years. Watching them improve has been great.

Kevin
There is a positive side.It is something that can be fun but I've seen the downside too with some of my friends.It all has to do with attitude.If you're both on the same page and treat it as fun it can be great but if not it can get ugly.It also can get expensive but if you have the money that shouldn't be a deterent.Different strokes for different folks.

Kevin

Same here. I wouldn't play as much as I do (not that it's enough) if my wife hadn't decided she wanted to learn to play. I hadn't been much into golf in recent years before she brought up the idea.

Jeff's right though, with two of you playing it's twice as expensive. And it's fun to go get a round in with the guys from time to time.

Granted its something that you can enjoy together as a couple, but its just not for everyone!

Same here. I wouldn't play as much as I do (not that it's enough) if my wife hadn't decided she wanted to learn to play. I hadn't been much into golf in recent years before she brought up the idea.

Jeff's right though, with two of you playing it's twice as expensive. And it's fun to go get a round in with the guys from time to time.

Because of the cost, we couldn't play as much as we do without buying a family membership. We played a lot last year as a family and it turned out reasonable on a per round basis. Not to mention the included range balls. I bet my daughter hit what would cost $500+ worth of balls if you bought them by the bucket. Maybe a lot more than that. The place we joined for next season is even $1,200 less, and I expect she'll be at the course at least four times a week if not more.

And I get my guy time. :D

Kevin

My wife wants to start playing. She has never played before so she has zero bad habits. I am a firm believer that in a technical game you need to have the right equipment so...

Do I buy clubs that are fitted for her even though she doesn't have a swing yet or get her playing and then buy her clubs?

You can't play without clubs but I don't want to buy clubs twice... Help me out on what you think.

I know it's novice but I don't trust a salesman at Austad's.

Sodakrep:

I purchased my wife a cheap starter set on sale. And, like a few others have said, I did not attempt to teach my wife the game unless she asked me specific questions. Luckily, one of our mutual female friends is a decent golfer, so my wife was able to get some tips from her.

My wife does not play all that often, so she still has the starter set. But it is nice to have for vacations. She is most apt to play when we are on vacation. That is fine and dandy for me... golf is my bromance time.

Id get a cheap set of starter clubs. It would be a shame if you spent a lot of money on clubs for her and after a month of 2 she decided that golf isnt for her.

I think I am going to go the cheaper route like several have stated. I also understand most everyone's opinion on keeping it seperate but I have my hunting for that which takes up quite a bit of time in the fall.

I think I am going to go the cheaper route like several have stated. I also understand most everyone's opinion on keeping it seperate but I have my hunting for that which takes up quite a bit of time in the fall.

Good idea, I have nothing against other people playing golf with their spouse I just know for me it wouldn't work. We can't even play board games together.LOL

Who knows...she may not even like it...I was thinking of giving it up completely a few times!!! But then...reasoning hit me and I look at all the golf stuff I have and just keep at it!!

Good idea, I have nothing against other people playing golf with their spouse I just know for me it wouldn't work. We can't even play board games together.LOL

Are you two competitive? I know my BF and I are...but with golf, he's ALWAYS going to beat me, so I just have fun with it and just challenge myself!! But he was beat by a girl, TWICE, and I won't let him forget it :joy:

Are you two competitive? I know my BF and I are...but with golf, he's ALWAYS going to beat me, so I just have fun with it and just challenge myself!! But he was beat by a girl, TWICE, and I won't let him forget it :joy:

Very much and I don't like to lose at anything, if she started kicking my butt on the course I would have to quit.:beat-up:

, if she started kicking my butt on the course I would have to quit.:beat-up:
wow good thing Smalls doesn't have that attitude or we'd lose a golf buddy

You can pick up a brand new starter set of womens Acuitys from Dicks for $100. Comes with a bag & something like 6-7 clubs, which for a beginner is more than enough.

I'm a firm believer in having separate hobbies, I golf, hunt and drag race to get away from my wife. I've never tried to hide that fact and I don't invite her along to try and show her why I love doing those things. If she decides to take up the game of golf she needs to take lessons and find some friends that play.

MO - I'm a bit confused. Didn't you just win new clubs for your wife so she could play with you?

MO - I'm a bit confused. Didn't you just win new clubs for your wife so she could play with you?

I did just win new clubs but not so she could play with me, she can play with her friends if she decides to play. She hasn't decided yet if she wants to try or not, either way it doesn't matter to me.

Sometimes having a wise*** comment comes back to bite me, which is what happened in that contest.

I did just win new clubs but not so she could play with me, she can play with her friends if she decides to play. She hasn't decided yet if she wants to try or not, either way it doesn't matter to me.

Sometimes having a wise*** comment comes back to bite me, which is what happened in that contest.

Ah - Your wife read about your girlfriend. Didn't you know it would be posted?

Back