Can you wear jeans to jury duty or is it like business casual attire?

Lol. Trying to plan what you would wear if you were ever summoned?

Here it's pretty casual. Just no shorts or t-shirts.

Lol. Trying to plan what you would wear if you were ever summoned?

Here it's pretty casual. Just no shorts or t-shirts.

Always good to be prepared :) Its funny, when someone in the office gets called for jury duty, it seems like we all get called at the same time....go figure :confused2: I just tell them I'm not sure if I'm unlimited or not (even though I am) haa haa they're on a need-to-know basis :D

Maybe if I wore Jorts next time I would be automatically dismissed.

I've been called 5 times. In CT, you call the day before and they let you know if you need to show up. The first time - I was chosen and was the jury foreperson - something about my talking a lot, but I only asked the judge for a lot of bathroom breaks. The trial lasted for 3 weeks. It was malpractice and the jurors were chosen based on their zip codes.

I've been called a few times, but never got on a case. The first time, 30 years ago in New Brunswick, NJ, jurors had to show up for the entire week and wait around to be called (or not called). Its since been changed to one day, and you can call in the day before to see if you've been exempted.

My wife used to get called at least once every other year. She also has never been called for a case.

I think the concept of "jury of your peers" isn't what it used to be. Many juries are populated by folks who couldn't get out of serving. JMHO :confused2:

I think the concept of "jury of your peers" isn't what it used to be. Many juries are populated by folks who couldn't get out of serving. JMHO :confused2:

...or had nothing better to do...I always thought that this was the irony around the "jury of your peers" that seems to be populated by those who are able to and don't mind missing work for awhile...it isn't THAT hard to get out of...presuming of course that you aren't bound to the idea of civic duty...

I was called once and was chosen in the final pool for a murder case. We had to fill out questionaires that the opposing counsels had put together to eliminate undesireables for both sides. I made it past that and was among the group actually questioned by the judges and lawyers for final selection. Fortunately, I was not chosen because I knew about the case and it was going to be a difficult decision. A lady had run over a little boy on his bike and the state thought they could prove murder because of her reckless behavior. I breathed a sigh of releif when I was dismissed.

I've been called 3 times and actually served once. The first one was a really strange deal that to this day I still don't fully understand. I was waiting with a bunch of others to go in and start the interviews when a guy I went to school with show's up. He sit's by me and we talk a bit till they call everyone in. They explain what the trial's about and the guy I was talking to is the one on trial, lol.

Why in the world he was out there amonst us I have no idea, but I was the first removed. One of the lawyers had spotted me with him, haha.

Do you normally see the person on trial when you are going through jury selection?

That was the first time I've seen one outside the courtroom.

Not until you get inside the court room.
That's not always the case.I've run into them on the elevator and in the hall before.Especially the lawyers for the defendent.You just have to remember to keep your mouth shut.

That's not always the case.I've run into them on the elevator and in the hall before.Especially the lawyers for the defendent.You just have to remember to keep your mouth shut.

How do you know who's who? They never told us ahead of time who the defendant was. A bunch of us were gathered outside the courtroom waiting to go in and everyone was just conversing.

I'm glad I talked to this guy, I'd have hated to be on his jury knowing him, lol, but doubt I'd have gotten there anyway.

Well, there's always a chance since you're all in the same building. And now that I think about it I did see the guy on trial in the case I was on a couple years ago but his lawyer kept him away from everyone and it was just when they went into the courtroom before we all went in. I haven't seen them in a situation duey mentioned.

During breaks during the jury selection, he came out to the hallway but his lawyer was always close by or he just stayed inside.

Well, there's always a chance since you're all in the same building. And now that I think about it I did see the guy on trial in the case I was on a couple years ago but his lawyer kept him away from everyone and it was just when they went into the courtroom before we all went in. I haven't seen them in a situation duey mentioned.

During breaks during the jury selection, he came out to the hallway but his lawyer was always close by or he just stayed inside.
Unless they're slick and want a mistrail.But it shouldn't be allowed to happen..gotta love Wyco

I got to the point twice where I was part of a pool of jurors being questioned by the attorneys for both parties.

The first time involved a police officer, and when I replied that I was friends with a police officer (which I was) - I was excused.

The second instance when I was asked my occupation and replied Project Manager/Systems Analyst for AT&T - I was excused! go figure! :confused2:

I count myself as one of those people who would rather not serve, but see it as my civil duty.

Just got a letter today stating that between Feb 7 and May 7 that I could be called. I hope they call while I'm in Orlando the 1st week of April. :D

How do you know who's who? They never told us ahead of time who the defendant was. A bunch of us were gathered outside the courtroom waiting to go in and everyone was just conversing.

I'm glad I talked to this guy, I'd have hated to be on his jury knowing him, lol, but doubt I'd have gotten there anyway.

When I lived in D.C., jury duty was two weeks long. My second week, during voir dire, they trotted out all the witnesses and asked if any of us had seen any of them before. Not if we knew them--if we'd seen them. Well, the cute cop had been a witness at the trial I'd been on the week before; that was enough to excuse me. It was almost too bad--he was really cute.

When I lived in D.C., jury duty was two weeks long. My second week, during voir dire, they trotted out all the witnesses and asked if any of us had seen any of them before. Not if we knew them--if we'd seen them. Well, the cute cop had been a witness at the trial I'd been on the week before; that was enough to excuse me. It was almost too bad--he was really cute.

Lol, you would find him innocent right? 6 eye witnesses and a video confession, but he didn't do it :banana:

Lol, you would find him innocent right? 6 eye witnesses and a video confession, but he didn't do it :banana:

Uhh - Claire said the "cute" cop was a witness not the defendant...

My old business partner got called to jury duty on a murder trial. They found the guy guilty in about an hour's deliberation. He said afterward that he didn't see why they had a trial. The guy pulled up in the victim's front yard, got out with a gun and shot him dead in front of half a dozen witnesses. He pleaded not guilty??? Go figure.

My old business partner got called to jury duty on a murder trial. They found the guy guilty in about an hour's deliberation. He said afterward that he didn't see why they had a trial. The guy pulled up in the victim's front yard, got out with a gun and shot him dead in front of half a dozen witnesses. He pleaded not guilty??? Go figure.

...and it took an hour!!??!:D

Re: Jury Duty

bigvivec said:
...and it took an hour!!??!:D

Good point. I think they felt obligated to appear to deliberate.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back