Golf Specific Stretches, regain your flexibility

Great tips... Thank you!!!

THANK YOU FREDDIE!!!! I have been meaning to ask about this.

tumblr_lv9fyjuSNe1qd90gm.gif

Haha perfect timing. I was just literally thinking about this last night and was going to try and find a well rounded stretching routine today, so I appreciate you saving me the time. As many of us are, suffering through the winter with little physical activity, a solid stretching routine is ideal.

Thanks Freddie, this is a great thread.. Being my forties, I try to stretch as much as possible, as I want to maintain as much flexibility as possible.

One of my favorite stretches is lying on my back, bending my knees and then trying to drop your knees to the right and left while keeping your shoulder blades against the floor. Feels absolutely incredible.

Will be keeping a very close eye on this thread!

Great stretching tips Freddie! You see so many swing tips that help overcome a lack of flexibility, but it's definitely a good idea to address the flexibility issue itself. Doesn't take long to work on it everyday!

This is a great post! I'm definitely guilty of not stretching enough.

Good stuff. I do some similar stretches before I play. I also Like doing some lunges with shoulder twists to warm things up.

EXCELLENT thread.

The Titleist fitness show recommends stretching at least 1 day a week for each decade of age we have.

The areas that I've found I really need to work on are from my mid back to my left shoulder and down to my left hip. I have overprotected these areas for years and they show it. The tightness makes it nearly impossible to properly clear my hips while maintaining my posture so that my shoulders can turn through. This leaves me moving the hips in and swinging at the ball with my arms and hands, which I could somewhat get away with when my hand eye coordination was better, but lately, not so much. I'm starting to see some improvement in the hip move from the recent stretching I have been doing, these additional techniques will hopefully help even more. Thanks.

Good job FK! I do stretching and the ones you proposed I think are really good ones. 10 minutes max after you get the routine established and learned. Very valuable 10 minutes for golf and life!

Thanks for the thread and tips Freddie. As I start to exercise more, the more I realize how stiff my body has become from not stretching. There have also been days on the golf course where I just can't seem to loosen up. These stretches pre-round should help with that.

Thanks for this Freddie. As someone who really struggles with flexibility, I will be sure to be doing these more often !

Could definitely use this! Even though I'm young, I've never been "flexible".

Great thread. I printed out the first post and put it on the cork board in my office at work and did some stretching today. Thanks Freddie!

Foam rollers are a very good addition as well

Great post and suggestions. I think a lot of people take stretching for granted. I'm really trying to work on my flexibility so working on my stretches daily and especially before hitting balls. Thanks for the examples of good stretches.

One stretch I would add to this is doing T, W and Y stretches for the shoulder. Even better to do them while lying prone while keeping a tight core on a stability ball if / when you can. If you can do each movement 5-10 times for 5 seconds, it will really help the shoulder girdle complex. If I had done these a decade earlier when I was lifting ( and playing softball, golf etc ) I probably wouldn't have nearly the shoulder issue I have now. Also, add a good stretch for the piriformis muscle. Lay on your back, bend left leg & pull foot up and in to your chest. Pull the opposite leg to get behind pulled in leg and gradually work the left leg closer to your chest. Repeat on the other side. I know I probably didn't describe it very well, but you can find details / videos on the web very easy. This area takes a beating from golfing. I actually have a round spikey ball I use to roll over this area as well.

Bumping this old thread from Freddie. Was just relaxing this morning and realized I really need to be stretching more often. My body has been feeling very stiff and sore lately. So I start stretching and can't believe how inflexible I've become. Do the shoulder turn stretch with my arms crossed and hands on shoulders, and I can't even get my shoulder to touch my chin, unless I rotate my hips a decent amount. Need to make this a regular thing again, no excuse to not spend a few minutes a day stretching it out. Good for the golf game, and good for the body.

This is a really good stretch for the hip flexors.

No doubt I'm watching that--and I couldn't care any less about stretching…

a9d6a12eae322afbea71e4420e3ce279.jpg

Oh Pete, you make me laugh. It really is a great exercise for your hip flexors.

Great exercises! I started focusing on golf specific exercises like these when I was 48 and I'm longer now at 50 than I have ever been. Father time will get me eventually but so far I've held hime off.

Back