Dalmore 12 yr is one of the best under $40 bottles of scotch I have ever had.

I am somewhat new to Single Malts, but I have tried about 20 so far and currently have 6 bottles in my collection... I also do bourbon and other American whiskys...

Anyone ever tried Celtic Crossing... honey distilled whisky drink, goes great with some baileys.

Dalmore 12 yr is one of the best under $40 bottles of scotch I have ever had.

I am somewhat new to Single Malts, but I have tried about 20 so far and currently have 6 bottles in my collection... I also do bourbon and other American whiskys...

Anyone ever tried Celtic Crossing... honey distilled whisky drink, goes great with some baileys.

Do you mix the two together or sip seperately?

brio has it right, although i do like a single cube of ice in mine. something about the cold malt warming up in your mouth that i enjoy.

my favourite is the Macallan 10 year old, its subtle, but plenty of flavour as a more frequent drink. i find it nicer than the 15 year old.

not a fan of the island malts, i find the peaty taste a bit overpowering and i dont enjoy them as much.

ive got a bit of a collection. pride of place is a 30year old Glenfiddich (a gift from my brother for being his best man) which i promised myself i could open after my first hole in one. the hole in one came and went and i never opened it. still sealed in its presentation case.

I dont drink much now, but i do get the odd night where i pour a dram, and sit by the fire watching the final day of a golf major. perfect. :)

I love Scotch but good single malts can get expensive. If you're looking for something to pair with a cigar, consider a nice rum. I recommend Diplomático Reserva Exclusiva and Ron Zacapa Centenario Reserva. Both come in around $30/bottle and they are just as complex and delicious as any single malt I've tried.

Just picked up a bottle of Glenlivet 15 years for $35... yum.

I to am a big fan of single malts and tend to fancy the sherry cask variety. My favorite is Glendronach 15yo, it's difficult to find in the 15 but the 12yo is more accessible. Others I like: Auchentoshan three wood, Edradour 10yo and Mortlach 16yo are all fantastic.

I have a bottle of Balvenie 15yo Single Barrel that was distilled in 10/1989 the month I joined the NAVY. I'm patiently waiting for my retirement to open.

The 15 year old Glen is the greatest... there is plenty of it around here. They had a great deal on the 12y/o at the package store for $25 a bottle the other day when i was there!

I have never deceloped a taste for Glenlivet but one of my buddies loves it. Dalmore, McCallum or Dalwhinnie for me.

I prefer strong peaty and seaweed flavor, so I most often choose those from islay distilleries. My "go-to" scotch is lagavulin, though I always keep bowmore or bruichladdich handy for guests because it is not quite the iodine shocker and is, in my opinion, more suitable for summer. It is rare when I feel the need to dive into Laphroaig, but sometimes on the real cold nights, that can be the ticket.

A lot of people with fine taste here. Some have compared the price of fine scotch to the price of finw wine. Overall, I think you can get a much better bottle of scotch than a bottle of wine at $50 - and it lasts a whole lot longer. While I prefer the single malts, there are some blended scotches which I enjoy and are very smooth. Johnny Walker Blue, Chivas Royal Salute - this will sound like blasphemy to some of you, but hey, whatever gets the job done.
I like to rotate through a number of different single malts in my cabinet - Most are reasonably priced (<$50) - Oban, Laprhoaig, Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, Strathisla, and a few different Macallans. Recently got a Macallan 18 year as a gift. Phenomenal bottle, and I certainly think it is worth the price point.

Picked up a 25 year old Bowmore for my dad at Xmas,and a 25 year old Tamnavulin for myself. Were spoilt for choice.

Picked up a 25 year old Bowmore for my dad at Xmas,and a 25 year old Tamnavulin for myself. Were spoilt for choice.

Bowmore was an excellent gift. It has the "Islay" taste without the Islay harshness that some people may not like. I almost exclusively go with Islay distilleries, so I always have Bowmore to share with guests.

Bowmore was an excellent gift. It has the "Islay" taste without the Islay harshness that some people may not like. I almost exclusively go with Islay distilleries, so I always have Bowmore to share with guests.

A good islay malt is Bunnahabhain if you havent tried it,not as strong a taste as other islay malts but worth a look.

A good islay malt is Bunnahabhain if you havent tried it,not as strong a taste as other islay malts but worth a look.

Yeah; it is not bad at all. I have tried all 7 of the traditional Islay distilleries. I have yet to try the new one, and I heard they are opening another as well.

My favorite of the islay distilleries is Lagavulin. It is still very peaty with a hint of seaweed, but not quite with the same strength as Laphroaig.

Is Tamnavulin distilled at Glenlivet now?

Yeah; it is not bad at all. I have tried all 7 of the traditional Islay distilleries. I have yet to try the new one, and I heard they are opening another as well.

My favorite of the islay distilleries is Lagavulin. It is still very peaty with a hint of seaweed, but not quite with the same strength as Laphroaig.

Is Tamnavulin distilled at Glenlivet now?

The Tamnavulin distillery was mothballed by Whyte & Mackay’s previous owners, but after being taken over by Dr Mallya in early 2007, the company invested significant sums to get it re-open in again to meet the massive international demand for whisky. It has only been open a year and half, and bearing in mind it takes a minimum of three years to make a Scotch, stocks are limited so the brand is only currently available in very limited quantities in the UK . A spokesperson for the company said: “Once we are in a position to bottle the whisky then we will be looking at other markets such as travel retail, and the US . It's just a bit premature at the moment, but for a small, lesser known brand it's amazing how many people have been following its progress since we re-opened the distillery.”

Ah. Thanks.

i am really struggling with an upcoming decision i have to make. My wife for part of my Christmas present is taking me to one of the better liquor stores in Denver next time we go and I get to pick out just about any bottle of Scotch I want. With a self imposed limit of about $200.00 what are some suggestions you guys might have?

i am really struggling with an upcoming decision i have to make. My wife for part of my Christmas present is taking me to one of the better liquor stores in Denver next time we go and I get to pick out just about any bottle of Scotch I want. With a self imposed limit of about $200.00 what are some suggestions you guys might have?

Very nice! You can do a lot with $200!
As far as single malt, I am a big fan of the 18 year old Macallan, which can be had at about $130. So smooth.
As far as blended scotch (is that a bad word? :confused2:) Johnny Walker Blue is a rare and utterly smooth treat, which can be had at about $150.

Have fun shopping and drinking!

Very nice! You can do a lot with $200!
As far as single malt, I am a big fan of the 18 year old Macallan, which can be had at about $130. So smooth.
As far as blended scotch (is that a bad word? :confused2:) Johnny Walker Blue is a rare and utterly smooth treat, which can be had at about $150.

Have fun shopping and drinking!

I am a single malt fan and the MacAllan is one of my favorites. Any other suggestions?

OK, I'll play.

My single malt of choice is The Balvenie, 12 year Doublewood. mmmm mmmm....

620016l.jpg

Sometimes hard to find though, so the back up is Glennfiddich 15. I find this much better than the 18 (though the 12 is decent enough in a pinch)

glenfiddich%2015%20yr150w.jpg

For the rare stuff, try this page. (Malt whisky, Scotch whisky & more - Whisky shop - Master of Malt
) Some good choices if you have 1000 bucks to spend!

Could you tell me a bit more about the Glennfiddich?

Well it should not be too hard to find and it is not too expensive. They make it using something called a Solera system which is normally used for making high end sherry. Something to do with using different types of wood casks. It's a Speyside but don't let that put you off if you are not found of them- this has its own taste. Strong to start with a smooth slightly spicy finish.

Like I said I like it much better than the 18 and I seem to always have a bottle of it on hand. For the price point I think its hard to beat.

Thanks for the help.

I took the Jameson tour in Dublin yesterday, was fun..
at the end i got to do a tasting session, Jameson, Jack, and Johhny Walker.
then i got a free glass of Jameson to polish it off.. was fun..

whiskey.jpg

I think JB can organise a THP Whiskey shootout, just take 20 people at the range, feed them all glasses of Jameson, Jack, Johhny Walker, Glenfiddich, Bushmills, Kilbeggan, etc...

after 90mins, start to rate the results in the the following catogories: Feel, Taste, leglessness, hangover. :D

Back