Unwanted Instruction

Golf Chick

Golf Fashionista
Reaction score
Handicap
Decreasing
A few times when I've been at the range myself just practicing, I'll get a few people come up to me and try to show me what I'm doing wrong. I don't really like this but just suck it up and have them do their thing. Last weekend when I was done with my lessons, I hit the remaining balls in my bucket and had a guy approach me and tell me to loosen my arms and then a few minutes later, my instructor came out and saved me. But I don't mind my friends instructing me that's fine, but when complete strangers do it, not so fine, esp. when they're touching me...is there a nice way to approach this to just have them leave me alone? I'm just there to practice, that's why I'm there :)

Whoa! Strangers touching you as they're giving you unsolicited advice? :stickbeat: Not cool at all. Kinda creepy actually.

You should stop them quickly and tell them thanks, but you're working on some drills your instructor gave you.

This seems to come up a lot more with women than with men (although men do it to other men too.)

First and foremost, I suggest an iPod. Tunes + Practice + Unwanted Advice Repellent = Heaven.

But, if you don't want to do that, I have a few standard answers:

1. I have an instructor and s/he has me working on some specific things.

2. I get confused with too many swing thoughts, and I want to focus on the things my pro told me to.

3. Are you kidding? I saw your swing. Get lost.

4. Yes, I know I have a nice ass, but please don't mess with my swing just because you are hoping to get a better look because you aren't going to get anywhere.

Oh yeah, and the touching . . . completely unacceptable.

Quit wearing makeup and put really baggy cloths on, haha. Just thank them for the concern and tell them your instructor wants you to work on specific moves, so thanks anyway.

Hope it helps.

I've had one person touch my arms and tell me to relax them, well, I can't relax then when a complete stranger is touching them :freaked-out:

There are a couple of guys in my golf league that do this, it drives me absolutely crazy! I don't know how I would handle your situation, other than to deck the guy! My uncle is the unsolicited golf tip giver outer kind of the world, he's done it for as long as I can remember and what really cracks me up is that he's a horrible golfer- 65 yrs old and can't play a lick but he can sure tell you what you're doing wrong! HA!!

Thanks Harry, I never thought to bring an ipod with me. But it will definitely help when I'm out there by myself!!

This seems to come up a lot more with women than with men (although men do it to other men too.)

First and foremost, I suggest an iPod. Tunes + Practice + Unwanted Advice Repellent = Heaven.

2. I get confused with too many swing thoughts, and I want to focus on the things my pro told me to.

4. Yes, I know I have a nice ass, but please don't mess with my swing just because you are hoping to get a better look because you aren't going to get anywhere.

Last edited:
Wait until you get paired up with these idiots on the course. They can ruin your round.

Harry's advice is right on. This used to happen to me all the time too and I would get so angry. Especially because I was working on something my instructor told me to do. They would have me do drills where my feet were in funny positions but it was supposed to help my weight shift, and people would always come over and try to tell me I shouldn't place my feet there. Stick with what Harry said it usually works.

Using the 'I have H1N1' line would probably be a great thing to use after someone touched you unsolicited.....

Harry's advice is right on. This used to happen to me all the time too and I would get so angry. Especially because I was working on something my instructor told me to do. They would have me do drills where my feet were in funny positions but it was supposed to help my weight shift, and people would always come over and try to tell me I shouldn't place my feet there. Stick with what Harry said it usually works.

And that is how she met JB.............:dohanim::drool:

I've had one person touch my arms and tell me to relax them, well, I can't relax then when a complete stranger is touching them :freaked-out:

Remind me not to suggest anything to you when we golf on the 13th :D oh wait i'm not good enough to do that anyways :clap:

:snub: hahahahaha that last one is hilarious!

Get yourself a big sweat shirt that has "Leave Me Alone" printed on it. Should do the trick.

I once told a guy who walked up to me on the range that I needed $25 from him before I could listen to his advice. He gave me a funny look, scratched his chin and walked off.

Now, put the shoe on the other foot. What do you think about new golfer, going up to another golfer who has a great swing, and asking the better golfer for some pointers?

haha I actually never played golf until I met JB. I only started because he loved it so much.

Ahh i see I thought he was one of the "creepy guys" that tried and help you with your swing while touching you......my bad :whew:

Get yourself a big sweat shirt that has "Leave Me Alone" printed on it. Should do the trick.

I once told a guy who walked up to me on the range that I needed $25 from him before I could listen to his advice. He gave me a funny look, scratched his chin and walked off.

Now, put the shoe on the other foot. What do you think about new golfer, going up to another golfer who has a great swing, and asking the better golfer for some pointers?

I've done that before......but only if she was blonde and then my wife slapped me:confused2:

Hmm.....I actually don't know! But either way, it'd be nice if people would ask before they try to show you something.

However, I've complimented people on the way that they swing and of course, what they have in the bag :D

Re: Unwanted Instruction

Just light up a smoke and they'll leave you alone. All kidding aside I guess this is much more an issue for woman than for men. I haven't had this happen to me yet but my girlfriend has on several occasions. We were playing a round actually and a guy on the next hole over stated giving her advice when she was hitting her approach shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just light up a smoke and they'll leave you alone. All kidding aside I guess this is much more an issue for woman than for men. I haven't had this happen to me yet but my girlfriend has on several occasions. We were playing a round actually and a guy on the next hole over stated giving her advice when she was hitting her approach shot.

I'm sorry i didn't know she was your girlfriend......

it does seem to happen more often to women then men. I am not sure why and I am sure most people mean well but it does start to get really annoying after a while. If nothing else it's a huge distraction and it starts to make you question your game even more if other people are noticing something wrong with your swing it makes, me at least, start to question just how bad I really am.

Re: Unwanted Instruction

Haha nobody on here is my gf. My gf gives me enough grief at home can't let her sign up here also

I don't ever bother anyone while they are practicing. However, I have waited for someone to finish or step away for a break and then talked to them. (Not about golf instruction though. I have a pro for that.)

Back