2010 Driver Shoot Out Results

Great work Harry! And I have no idea who the evil empire is either... always thought people thought of Callaway as it even though I dont really agree. Success does that I guess.

who's the evil empire then? I'm confused all of a sudden and need a coffee.

I'm guessing that the name begins with A and ends in T....

What starts with a A and ends in a T?

What starts with a A and ends in a T?

There's never a game show hostess around when you need one!

puzzle-board-2.jpg

That's really funny Harry!!

Will the Spring issue of THP have the actual numbers from the Shootout like average distance of each driver?

Will the Spring issue of THP have the actual numbers from the Shootout like average distance of each driver?

We will put out a lot of information, but we will not be putting out driving distance, because frankly it really is not relevant. We had so many people try the drivers from 3 different handicap groups that the distances were all over the map.

We will put out a lot of information, but we will not be putting out driving distance, because frankly it really is not relevant. We had so many people try the drivers from 3 different handicap groups that the distances were all over the map.
you can usually find those distances posted somewhere on the web where they use iron Byron. I agree as you say it's really meaningless in real world situations..too many variables.Thanks for the great reviews that do have meaning.

you can usually find those distances posted somewhere on the web where they use iron Byron. I agree as you say it's really meaningless in real world situations..too many variables.Thanks for the great reviews that do have meaning.

I wish we could do the distances, but like I said, they are all over the place. All we really try and worry about are the averages of all the players together.

I wish we could do the distances, but like I said, they are all over the place. All we really try and worry about are the averages of all the players together.

I think it would be really interesting to have a long ball contest and of course include accuracy (You must hit the ball in a 50 yard wide grid to count)and allow the contestants to choose their own driver. Say have a 20 - 30 age bracket, 30- 40 bracket, 40 - 50 bracket, and 50 and over bracket. Then have a contest for the overall driver perfomance to include all brands and all age groups for the overall champ :eek:) The drivers would have to be the same as those chose for this latest driver competition. I would absolutely love to be in this competition.

All great questions, that I wish I could answer. Our testing is done without a launch monitor because I feel as though that is how most consumers buy their drivers. However with that being said, I firmly believe in using one and getting fit.

the DST seemed lower spinning for me than that of the MachSpeed, but that was just on the range as i have not played extensively with them yet. I found most of the top 5 drivers in the distance category to have less spin than a lot of the other models. The Burner for example seemed to have very low spin compared to that of others. But in reality, it is just perception until we get them on a monitor and know for sure what the numbers are.

Thanks for the reply and the info.

So to summarize based on my question you would say spin from low to high of those 3 in this order: Burner, DST, Machspeed?

Based on the length of the Burner and DST was the Control or Accuracy reasonable? While they may not have been in the top 5 in accuracy were they closer to the top or bottom?

Thanks for the reply and the info.

So to summarize based on my question you would say spin from low to high of those 3 in this order: Burner, DST, Machspeed?

Based on the length of the Burner and DST was the Control or Accuracy reasonable? While they may not have been in the top 5 in accuracy were they closer to the top or bottom?

I really do not know the spin numbers, because they were not on a monitor. I am not sure there was a single driver shorter than 45 inches in the bunch.

2010 Driver Shoot Out

2010 Driver Shoot Out

An excellent review, can't wait to try the 2 new TM drivers!

I really do not know the spin numbers, because they were not on a monitor. I am not sure there was a single driver shorter than 45 inches in the bunch.

Thanks, JB. Guess that means length doesn't matter after all!:nono: Oops....wrong forum.

Thanks, JB. Guess that means length doesn't matter after all!:nono: Oops....wrong forum.

I think it certainly can matter. For many they are more comfortable with a shorter driver. However it does not for everybody.

I know you must be exhausted from this work and the summary is interesting reading.

I would be curious if you would consider comparing 2008, 2009, 2010 best overall drivers and list the best driver in the same categories you tested with. I would probably recommend adding a category for Value (probably hard to measure).

I know the 2010 vs 2009 is a separate discussion/thread, but most buyers today realize that 2010 does not automatically mean better than 2009 or even 2008. Especially, when you factor in the price.

I think it would be an interesting comparison. For example, if a Callaway Diablo Edge is $299 and an Adams A4 driver is $150 and the results are close, would the tester choose the Diablo over the A4.

Just a thought.

I think it is a great idea, however here lies the issue. We do not have all of those clubs and I am pretty sure a company is not going to supply them as we all know their goal in the end is to show off the latest gear. I would love to be able to do that, but I am just not sure it is feasible.

Question...
How come you say the ZL did so poorly. The Hot List gave it a golf medal but you said it was not too good at all.
Why is this?

Question...
How come you say the ZL did so poorly. The Hot List gave it a golf medal but you said it was not too good at all.
Why is this?

Now I did not put him up to this JB :banghead:

Question...
Why is this?

I really do not think I said anything of the sort. In fact we said that every single driver did quite well. For my game personally and many of the testers, the ZL did not work well. We found the shaft/head combination poor at best. But then again, I think our testing is far more transparent than that of the Hot List.

The Hot List is not a club test in the end. They measure what is Hot with things such as Buzz/demand, etc....

All of those drivers did quite well. I will say that the light drivers that were a big trend in 2010 for the most part did extremely well for the high and mid handicappers. The DST, Adams Fast 10, TM Burner, etc...Only the Cobra ZL failed miserably in this case and struggled with both distance and accuracy for all 3 categories.

I really do not think I said anything of the sort. In fact we said that every single driver did quite well. For my game personally and many of the testers, the ZL did not work well. We found the shaft/head combination poor at best. But then again, I think our testing is far more transparent than that of the Hot List.

The Hot List is not a club test in the end. They measure what is Hot with things such as Buzz/demand, etc....

I gotcha.
I took the first quote as it being not so hot of a club but i understand what you mean.

I gotcha.
I took the first quote as it being not so hot of a club but i understand what you mean.

Every driver as mentioned in the actual shoot out was quite good. That was meant as it was typed that out of the lighter drivers that companies have gone to this year, the Cobra ZL is the one that was liked the least

Luckily since I have a bunch of friends and customers that are playing the Nationwide tour, so I have been lucky to try a majority of these drivers or their tour counterparts. They five guys I hung out with late last week are close along the same lines as what you saw with the exception of the Taylormade. None of the guys played TM, but TM had sent almost everyone of them a driver. The favorites for them went....

1. Cleveland DST Tour
2. Bridgestone J38
3. Ping i5
4. Nike Victory Red
5. Callaway Edge Tour

Myself I am currently carrying a 1.3 handicap although after shooting 79 with 5 birdies that will go up. My favoritew were the Bridgestone J38 followed by a tie with the Edge Tour and DST Tour.

Thanks for the feedback on what the Nationwide players are playing. It's always great to find out what the pros are playing but in this case it's the reason we do the shoot outs. We like to have consumers from all skill levels test equipment to determine what they like the best. Another factor is that most pros are using equipment that is fitted for them and the reason for our shoot outs is because consumers can try the drivers that are straight off the shelf.

Back