Niblick Unboxing & Thread

Whew...Glad to hear that!

Whew...Glad to hear that!

I actually found the tight fairways extremely easy. The weighting of the club helps tremendously and the leading edge works extremely well on the fairway.

Thanks once again J.B. Thats good news....Looks like the 56* is in my future!

:banana:

Curious how the set of (3) Niblicks is working...

Curious how the set of (3) Niblicks is working...

I am going to have a whirl at playing the 42*/49*/56* as the only wedges in my bag. I'm a senior player w/ a 8.6 index and play nearly everyday so it should not take to long to judge this "noble experiment". I am trying this to play w/one less wedge,w/more versatility. I need more firepower in the long end of my game due to the ravages of age and loss of distance. Wish me luck!!!

Brandidog....How is this experiment working for you. Do you still keep all (3) in the bag? Can you describe what types of shot you use each one for now that you have had a bit of time plus the opportunity to select from (3) each time. Very curious how the Niblicks are working for you.

Please reply...Thanks

:act-up:

Brandidog....How is this experiment working for you. Do you still keep all (3) in the bag? Can you describe what types of shot you use each one for now that you have had a bit of time plus the opportunity to select from (3) each time. Very curious how the Niblicks are working for you.

Please reply...Thanks

If anyone else on the forum is bagging multiple Niblicks, I would appreciate your input as well. :comp:

Thanks

Last edited:
If anyone else on the forum is bagging multiple Niblicks, I would appreciate your input as well. :comp:

Thanks
I'm bagging a 42* and a 56*. The 56* has only been in the bag for two rounds, so it's still too early to give you any meaningful feedback. However, I do think it will come in handy close to the green once I've got it dialed in...so far the results have been promising. (I'll post more after I've played a few more rounds with it.)

The 42* has become my go-to club inside 110 yards. Unlike a lot of posters, I never use it as a full swing club. Instead, I use more of a Mickelson hinge and hold technique and just play those shots as giant pitch/chip shots. Doing this, I get a low boring trajectory, right on line, with little or no rollout.

I'm bagging a 42* and a 56*. The 56* has only been in the bag for two rounds, so it's still too early to give you any meaningful feedback. However, I do think it will come in handy close to the green once I've got it dialed in...so far the results have been promising. (I'll post more after I've played a few more rounds with it.)

The 42* has become my go-to club inside 110 yards. Unlike a lot of posters, I never use it as a full swing club. Instead, I use more of a Mickelson hinge and hold technique and just play those shots as giant pitch/chip shots. Doing this, I get a low boring trajectory, right on line, with little or no rollout.

My set up is the same as stryper I have both the 42* and 56* in the bag. I took tothe 42* right away and hs been my sort game go to club. The 56* has been on again off again and I have not figured it out totally yet. I use it out of the sand and I am fine there but other shots still having a few problems dialing in.

Sure not much buzz about the 49* Niblick....

Sure not much buzz about the 49* Niblick....

I am a bit surprised there is not more buzz about the 49* Niblick...Seems to me that one would be quite popular because its is primarily a Gap Wedge replacement. I should think most players would find it easier to replace a GW with a Niblick than their 9-iron, PW or SW, but perhaps I am wrong.

Since there isn't much buzz so far on the 49*, I wonder if perhaps testers are finding the 49* lacks the versatility of the 42* and 56*. which of course would be consistent with JB's excellent review. If ithe 49* is indeed most often a "3rd choice", it won't see much bag time because few players seem willing to bag more than 2 Niblicks at a time. (Assuming the Niblick 37* is last in popularity).

How about it...Anyone else want to chime in on your experience with the Niblick 49*??? I plan to buy at least one Niblick this weekend but still not 100% sure which one is best for me. Was leaning towards the 42* as the first one, but not sure...need more feedback.

:comp:

Last edited:

Please reply...Thanks

Bobcat--I am presently playing the 42/49/56 but have been forced to put my lob wedge back in for bunker use. I just could not dial in the 56* with any accuracy in the sand. I love the club from 65/75 yds but tight lie pitches have been a challenge for me.

I am a bit surprised there is not more buzz about the 49* Niblick...Seems to me that one would be quite popular because its is primarily a Gap Wedge replacement. I think most players would find it easier to replace a GW with a Niblick than a 9-iron, PW or SW.

Since there is not much buzz on the 49*, perhaps the general perception is that it just doesn't save as many strokes as the 42* and 56* and is therefore the 3rd choice with few players willing to bag more than (2) Niblicks.

How about it...Anyone else want to chime in on your experience with the Niblike 49*???

:comp:

My take is similar to yours, except one thing. I think if all 4 Niblicks came out at the same time, the 49 and the 56 would be the most popular. However because the lower lofted Niblicks came out first, many jumped on the 42 and do not feel the need to replace it yet.

My take is similar to yours, except one thing. I think if all 4 Niblicks came out at the same time, the 49 and the 56 would be the most popular. However because the lower lofted Niblicks came out first, many jumped on the 42 and do not feel the need to replace it yet.

I think JB's hit it there. The 42 and 49 are close enough that most who grabbed a 42 arent going to go for a 49, if anything, a 56 instead.

As for the 49, I've made my opinions known. I chose it for a gap wedge replacement instead of a 9 iron replacement, and love it. I dont think I'd go to a 42 for the same reason most 42 owners wouldnt go for a 49.

Thanks to those that have responded...

Thanks to those that have responded...

Thanks so much for the feedback guys...I really appreciate it! Oh and by the way...I love this place! :act-up:

:banana:

What would you say about replacing my 45* PW with a 42* niblick, good move or bad?

My 42* nib fits closer to my old 9 iron than my pw. Not sure if that will hold true with the new set that I've yet to get to the course with.

What would you say about replacing my 45* PW with a 42* niblick, good move or bad?

The 42* is a little closer the 9I then the pitch. I carry the 42* and the 56* that I just got but I wouldnt take my pitch out.

The 42* is a little closer the 9I then the pitch. I carry the 42* and the 56* that I just got but I wouldnt take my pitch out.

that is my exact thought.....so what does the niblick do that the 9 iron doesnt?

Yeah, thats a great point JB and likely spot on...Thank you very much for your perspective. I'll probably make the 49* my first Niblick now, and if it works out well, perhaps a 56* later on. I feel much more comfortable replacing the GW then the other wedges in my bag.

With (4) Niblick models now available, choosing the right one takes more research, but I am glad I didn't decide to buy before the 49* and 56* came out.

:bashful:.

Last edited:
that is my exact thought.....so what does the niblick do that the 9 iron doesnt?

Thats a really good question. For one I think the Niblicks are extremely easy to hit. They check up very well but they also chip and run very well too. I had to practice a bit with the 42 to get used to it as at first I was flying greens on approach shots. But once you get it dialed in its a fantastic 100 yard club IMO. And I ALWAYS go to it for the little chips on the fringe. I find it to be the perfect club for that shot. I'll add a little to this, I think a good one word answer is versatility. I think the 42 has much more shots in it then the 9I does. Hope that helps!

Thats a really good question. For one I think the Niblicks are extremely easy to hit. They check up very well but they also chip and run very well too. I had to practice a bit with the 42 to get used to it as at first I was flying greens on approach shots. But once you get it dialed in its a fantastic 100 yard club IMO. And I ALWAYS go to it for the little chips on the fringe. I find it to be the perfect club for that shot. I'll add a little to this, I think a good one word answer is versatility. I think the 42 has much more shots in it then the 9I does. Hope that helps!

Cool thanks man, the majority of the time 100 yards in to about 50 i use my AW at 51*, and around the green the 58* cg15, i very rarely use my 9 iron, different strokes for different folks i guess! Thanks for the input kevin!:clapp:

I just purchased the Niblick 49* to fill the gap between my 47* PW and 54* CG10... Hopefully it does it quite nicely. Also hopefully it will help my short game as I am terrible at chipping and putting. Not that this will help putting, but if it helps me chip it closer it has to help my putting right?

Good choice single digits :eek:)

Good choice single digits :eek:)

I have seen alot of single digit handicappers on here going to the Niblick of late. I also think there are golfers that will not leave traditional wedges to try the niblicks. Golf is a hard sport, so if it helps, try it :eek:)

About the 49. I love my 42 but I think the 49 & 56 would be a gruesome twosome :blob:

Made the decision on which Niblick...

Made the decision on which Niblick...

I decided to buy both the 49* and the 56* models thanks to JB's great Niblick review and the feedback I received from so many others on this forum.... :clapp:

For years I have chipped primarily with a 50* Mizuno MP Wedge, so I am very comfortable going with the 49* lofted Niblick for that purpose now. Occasionally I do use an 8-iron for long, low running chips with good success and that option remains since my 4-PW set of Mizuno 32 irons will remain intact.

So here are my bag changes:

- The 49* Niblick "D" will replace my Mizuno MP 50* Gap Wedge which I used mostly for chipping and pitching, but also for full shots from the fairway. The 49* Niblick should be perfect for those shots but much easier to use. I am looking for more consistency here!

- The 56* Niblick "S" will replace my Mizuno MP 54* which I have used for years as a "finesse" Wedge and for longer than normal sand shots. I am convined the 56* Niblick will handle these duties quite well and with a lot more consistency.

- I will be keeping (1) conventional specialty wedge in the bag: My 60* Mizuno MP Lob Wedge with 9* Bounce shall remain, at least for now. It will continue to serve as my PRIMARY SAND WEDGE and will do normal Lob Wedge duty...(Flop shots in particular). This grooves on this wedge are looking worn however, so I'll likely need to replace it too by this summer. The Cleveland CG14 60* Lob Wedge with 12* of bounce looks like an excellent replacement for it so that is my plan. This CG14 is a Black Pearl Wedge with a Gel back insert like the Niblicks so it will complement them well!

Thanks to all who helped me reach a decision. I have very high expectations for my new Niblicks. I know these short game hybrids are going to save me strokes. I actually used them for the first time today at the nearby Heron Bay practice facility. It was easy to dial them in after just an hour of practice. (You do have to adjust to the heavier swingwight and I found you don't really need to open your stance with these).

Can't wait to take them to the course now! :bananadance:

Congrats Bobcat. Keep us in the loop and let us know your findings. Keep in mind you may notice a small loss of distance on the fairway shots from the 49 Niblick and the 50 wedge because of the shorter shaft. But the nice soft landings and the trouble shots you can pull off should make up for it.

Bobcat, you wont be disappointed. Put in several practice sessions with both, and you'll be shaving a few strokes off your score in no time. Let us know how the 49* and 56* combo works. I'm particularily interested, since I have the 49 and am looking at the 56 next.

Won't lose any full shot distance because....

Won't lose any full shot distance because....

Congrats Bobcat. Keep us in the loop and let us know your findings. Keep in mind you may notice a small loss of distance on the fairway shots from the 49 Niblick and the 50 wedge because of the shorter shaft. But the nice soft landings and the trouble shots you can pull off should make up for it.

Actually I don't lose any distance on the full shot JB. In fact I am hitting the 49* Niblick a bit further. Reason is the Rifle Spinner shaft I put in my 50* Mizuno Wedge. As you may know the Spinner shafts provide sligthly reduced distance on full shots. (The shafts were designed to enhance feel, touch and spin around the green but at the expense of full shot distance).

It didn't take long at all today to figure out the 49* for greenside shots. I was able to hit chips and pitches that ran or checked up quickly just by varying ball position while using the "hit and hold" technique. There is virtually no fear of a "chunk" with these Niblicks so confidence runs high almost as soon as you start using them.

I really had a great time practicing with the Niblicks today and will hit the course with them this weekend. The 56*was great out of the sand as you said, (even the moist hard-packed sand I encountered), and the 56* also worked great for "finesse" shots. I won't miss my Mizuno 54* Wedge at all. The 56* Niblick begs for you to be creative with it. I think I could use it for a lot of shots where I now hit my 60* LW because the spin is so good, but I am keeping the 60* in the bag for the extreme flop shot.

Thanks once again for the great review and post advice. I am certain the 49* and 56* are the right Niblick lofts for my game! :banana:

Last edited:
Bobcat, you wont be disappointed. Put in several practice sessions with both, and you'll be shaving a few strokes off your score in no time. Let us know how the 49* and 56* combo works. I'm particularily interested, since I have the 49 and am looking at the 56 next.

Will do Sacul1573...Thanks for your interest! :bashful:

I got 49* Niblick yesterday and tried it today in the range.
Man, this is an awesome club! it launches high and lands very softly, also straight for my swing. For me, it has much smoother feeling than my CG12 52*.
I could dial the distance from 60 yds to 100+ yds. I tried some chip shots but it's too early to tell since I tried only in the range.
I can't wait for trying this weapon in rounds......but snow till April, man.

Back