Have you had a lesson? Why/Why Not?

Fine someone you have confidence in

Fine someone you have confidence in

I have had three lessons. Each one on different aspects of my game. I think the lesson that I treasured and have benefitted the most from, was on my short game. I took what my swing coach taught me and took it the practice area. Hit tons of balls three days a week for several weeks. The short game lessons and practice is what I treasure the most. It really changed my game for the better. When the weather gets warmer this spring, back out to the practice area I go. Sometimes I enjoying practicing my short game more than playing a round of golf. I spend no least than one hour per session just on touch and feel shots.

Lessons are tricky. I have taken two sets of lessons in the last 3 years trying to return to the game after a long break.

The first was from a pro in Thailand. What he tried to teach me in iron play was rubbish and my game suffered for a year afterwards. A complete waste of money since it made my bad iron game even worse.

Then I took a set of lessons from a Australian pro here in the Netherlands and he was able to identify the flaws in my iron play and had me shooting nice arcing shots in less than 30 minutes. It made a HUGE difference for me. I droped from 115+ to breaking 100 twice in less than 4 months. 100% due to the lessons. How would you like to drop 15 shots from your game!?

So Lessons are worth thier weight in gold- but only if you get the right pro. There are a lot of 'pros' out there who have styles and swings that are useless for the regular player.

My only experience with lessons is playing with people who take them. My general observation is that once someone starts taking lessons, it stops being about swinging the golf club to get a result and playing the game and becomes all about swing positions and technical stuff. I want to enjoy myself, not second guess why I forgot to move my left hip 2" to the left at the start of my downswing. Honestly, most of the people I have played with who have had lessons don't post any better scores than me, they just ruin their round by obsessing about some detail of their swing.

My only experience with lessons is playing with people who take them. My general observation is that once someone starts taking lessons, it stops being about swinging the golf club to get a result and playing the game and becomes all about swing positions and technical stuff. I want to enjoy myself, not second guess why I forgot to move my left hip 2" to the left at the start of my downswing. Honestly, most of the people I have played with who have had lessons don't post any better scores than me, they just ruin their round by obsessing about some detail of their swing.

I always thought the exact same thing until I found a teacher that basis his teachings on feel rather than technical aspects. It changed the way I play the game and went from a 12 to a 3 in less than 6 months because of it. Took a lot of work and playing, but it was worth it in the end.

I couldn't agree with you more...thanks

I couldn't agree with you more...thanks

I too agree fully!!! :D

I too agree fully!!! :D

Hey now don't bash lessons because of obsessed players! I assure you that you will not find me examining the techincial positioning of my swing during a game. You are more likely to find me having a beer while playing a buck a hole skins game where you can buy one mulligan per 9 holes.

But it's a LOT more fun when you have a had a few good lessons and can play with a bit of confidence.

A couple times a round now everything works and I am in position for a birdy on a par 5, or I can shoot a 9 iron from the rough and watch it roll up to the edge of the hole- just like I plan. That is due to the lessons- and I love the game even more because of it.

I leave the technical stuff for the range- hopefully it becomes automatic on the course. But if not, I still have the beer.

The last time I took a lesson was about 15 years ago in the third grade. Since then I've had on and off years but just in the last few years started to pick my game up. I started last season around a 10 handicap and and improved it considerably without any lessons. I did this by practicing and playing A LOT, tinkering with my swing and getting a new driver. Being able to hit the fairways on a consistent basis is what really helped me out. If I were to get a lesson, which I might try this year, it would be to work on my putting and my mid to long iron accuracy.

A couple times a round now everything works and I am in position for a birdy on a par 5, or I can shoot a 9 iron from the rough and watch it roll up to the edge of the hole- just like I plan. That is due to the lessons- and I love the game even more because of it..
No lessons...same outcome,sometimes even better, sometimes worse.Not knocking lessons at all.To each his own.It's all about what you want out of your game.Mine is fun and friends and an escape from doing what I should be doing.

Since I decided to start getting more serious about golf I have not just read, but studied Ben Hogans "five lessons". I have built my swing around his lessons, and am constantly drilling myself at the range on certain small things. I was homeschooled in high school, and I guess I prefer to be self-taught than instructed. Once I reach the point where I feel I can no longer progress myself though self-teaching, I might graduate myself into "college", and seek a professor of the arts.

All in all, I started playing a few years ago, and was lucky to string 2 solid hits together. Taking golf seriously 7 months ago, I was scoring around 115-125ish. Over the last 7 months I've built a reliable enough swing to get me consistantly in the low 90's. I feel I still have enough to work on without going to a pro yet. But I have read all of amollerud's posts... :D

As far as worrying about developing bad habits, its like Ben Hogan teaches: Dont worry about what you shouldnt be doing, rather focus on the few correct things that should be happening. Everything else will fall into place.

How the golf company makes money!

How the golf company makes money!

I find this thread very interesting! I am big supporter of lessons because I like having someone help me with my swing. I do not swing the way my instructor wants me to. I have my swing and he helps me make my swing better. There really is no way to make everyone swing the same way. I think a lot of people get frustrated because they run into a situation where the instructor has to change a major fault before the lessons can continue. So you make the change and your swing goes down the toilet...fast. Instead of sticking it out they quit the lessons and say that the lessons are not for them.

I appreciate the self taught but I wonder how much of it really is self taught. I would hazard that like the rest of us they use magazines, tv, and watching others play to get an idea of what to do.

While all of this is going on the golf companies are playing off of this mentality that people don't need lessons...they need clubs that solve their problem. Look at the drivers that are on the market now, 8 positions to cure the problem that plagues you. There are iron sets that promote a specific type of ball flight. They now make specific golf ball that will go higher than the other ones.

Think about what the best drivers and irons looked like 10 years ago...some of the changes made to clubs have been great for amateurs ot help with mishits and getting the ball airborne. All the technology going into grips and shafts is amazing but at the end of the day all of the technology in the golf club is not going to get the most technologically advanced ball in the hole.

The person holding the club will...

I appreciate the self taught but I wonder how much of it really is self taught. I would hazard that like the rest of us they use magazines, tv, and watching others play to get an idea of what to do.

The person holding the club will...
Yes as you hazard there are ways to learn and it depends on what level you want to play at.Some are more easily satisfied with their game then others. Even with lessons it all boils down to time.Time spent in practice.Lessons aren't a cure if you only hit a bucket of balls a month and play a round or less a month.I hazard to say that you with low single digit handicaps spend a lot more time in practicing,playing and lessons than some others can afford in time and money and therefore they'll usually have a higher handicap.Just my 2 cents..

Last edited:
I been out of golf for 12 years, Its been about 6 months since I came back.
Lately my shots to the green started going left, they start straight to pin, but at end the fade . Try to correct it my self, but started to affect all my irons. I sign up this week for classes.

10 pages and I've never seen this thread. I've never had a lesson for a few different reasons; 1. I didn't trust that they would know enough when I was growing up. 2. I'm a feel player with an extremely compact swing there's not much to change. 3. money

10 pages and I've never seen this thread. I've never had a lesson for a few different reasons; 1. I didn't trust that they would know enough when I was growing up. 2. I'm a feel player with an extremely compact swing there's not much to change. 3. money

A self taught scratch player. Something you do not see very often.

A self taught scratch player. Something you do not see very often.

Let's face it, a scratch player is something most of us do not see often, lessons or not. Since less than 20% of golfers break 100, I suspect that less than 1/2 of 1% ever play one round at even par, much less regularly.

Yes as you hazard there are ways to learn and it depends on what level you want to play at.Some are more easily satisfied with their game then others. Even with lessons it all boils down to time.Time spent in practice.Lessons aren't a cure if you only hit a bucket of balls a month and play a round or less a month.I hazard to say that you with low single digit handicaps spend a lot more time in practicing,playing and lessons than some others can afford in time and money and therefore they'll usually have a higher handicap.Just my 2 cents..

Jeff those are very valid points. I would hazard that for those that only play once a month there is no "cure" for them. They will play with what they have...all that matters is if you are happy at the end of the round!

I think that lessons should be renamed to something more appropriate...maybe "advice" sessions would be a better descriptor.

While all of this is going on the golf companies are playing off of this mentality that people don't need lessons...they need clubs that solve their problem. Look at the drivers that are on the market now, 8 positions to cure the problem that plagues you. There are iron sets that promote a specific type of ball flight. They now make specific golf ball that will go higher than the other ones

I can honestly say that I've never turned to magazines for "self help" on building a swing. Ben Hogan has been my only instructor. Now for special shot techniques, such as a flop shot or chip, i've turned to articles.

And while an 8 position driver may affect ball flight, it will not cure a slice or hook. Same with golf balls. I do not rely on my equipment to fix my mistakes.

Let's face it, a scratch player is something most of us do not see often, lessons or not. Since less than 20% of golfers break 100, I suspect that less than 1/2 of 1% ever play one round at even par, much less regularly.

Really? Only 20% of golfers break 100? Interesting...

I do think (meaningful) practice is the most important element to improve your game. For every round of golf I've played, I've spent at least 10-15 hours at the range. I spend A TON more time at the range than on the course. Not mindlessly smacking balls, but diligently paying attention to different elements of my swing, focusing on one thing at a time.

I finally threw in the towel after hitting 1/16 fairways in a round. I was making good contact, good trajectory, decent distance, but never knew where it was going, even down to a 5wd.

I got a swing evaluation, then a lesson from the same guy. The swing evaluation was incredible. He utilized a camera and monitor so I could see the issues real time (I was incredibly steep). I worked on a few things then went back in a month for a lesson. In that time, with just the swing evaluation, I was up to 6/16 fw hit.

The lesson resulted in mixed results. He tried to revamp my whole swing at once, instead of just one or two items. I understand what he's trying to do, but it's impossible to hit the ball well with 5 swing thoughts going throuh my head. I left frustrated, but evaluated the video he kept online, and basically took two main ideas. I'm bringing the club back straight down the line (I was way inside), and still working on flattening my plane. Also, I have a tendency to bring the club past the target (across the line) at the top of the backswing. Basically, I've been working on this for a couple weeks and immediately seeing better iron play. Definitely worth the time to get a lesson, and especially someone who can video the swing for reference.

Really? Only 20% of golfers break 100? Interesting...

I do think (meaningful) practice is the most important element to improve your game. For every round of golf I've played, I've spent at least 10-15 hours at the range. I spend A TON more time at the range than on the course. Not mindlessly smacking balls, but diligently paying attention to different elements of my swing, focusing on one thing at a time.

I should qualify that. I believe that fewer than 20% of golfers who keep accurate score and play by all the rules without mulligans, gimmees, and noodling the ball, break 100. I have known lots of people who can consistently break 100 on their scorecards, but I have played with them and I know it is not true.

I should qualify that. I believe that fewer than 20% of golfers who keep accurate score and play by all the rules without mulligans, gimmees, and noodling the ball, break 100. I have known lots of people who can consistently break 100 on their scorecards, but I have played with them and I know it is not true.

I would agree with that... alot of "oh, lemme try again" or dropping and not counting it...

Everyone is different. I was shooting in the low to mid 60s for 9 a few years ago. I'd go to the range and practice but no dice because I really didn't have a good idea on what my problem(s) were.

I started lesson up seriously in 08 and through last year. My average score is now in the low 50s and I shot 4 rounds under 50, including a 45 were I bogeyed every hole but 1.

I still suck, count everything, but I'm definately getting better. Those lessons dropped enough strokes off my 9 hole average to equal about 15 + strokes on my index. No way was I doing that on my own.

Eveyone that sites all the players taking lessons being too technical are only seeing part of the picture. One guy I play with is technical like that, he'll look to see where his backswing is during practice swings. Me, I just get up there and swing. You'd never know I was taking lessons by how I act on the course, though you may suggest that I need them.

Maybe those of us taking lessons that don't obsess with mechanics are in the minority but we do exist.

So don't paint it in 1 color because of what all your buddies that take lessons do. If I did that I'd start to question if scratch golfers exists. All golfers I have ever played with have probably been 10+ indexes at best, therefore all golfers must be 10+ handicaps based on some of the logic I've seen in this thread.

Regarding the 20% number, the one I saw had it at 10% of all golfers can't break 100. No idea how true that really is and maybe it's changed but I doubt it. All the new technology out there and I belive scoring averages haven't changed much over the years.

Ditto...some of them fill their scorecards out in advance it seems.Bottom line is that it takes a lot of time and practice even with lessons.You can get good without lessons though but you will need some form of advice whether that is from friends,books,or magazines.The practice shows you what works and what doesn't for you.Lessons would be a way to cut to the chase.
But on another note usually if you read a golf mag.you'll find at least 3 different schools of thought on what to do for the same shot.So you better be good at gleaning what works for you.Of course this is just my opinion and isn't ment to sway anyone elses.

Did 6 lessons back around 2002 which initially showed some benefit to my game. Went back for 1 lesson in 2003 and was told my swing had reverted to the way it had been prior to the original lessons - lesson being: my physique/golf swing is ingrained in me now so I should just make the most of it.

Decided not to get lessons again after that - prefere to modify my imperfect swing :)

Back