Taylormade R9 Irons

What is the difference in the regular r9 irons and the r9 TP? There is only a $100 cost increase for the TP"s. Is it worth it or are the regular r9's just fine

TP are more of a player's iron (low handicapper) with a smaller head and thinner topline and sole. The regular R9 is going to be more forgiving, with a larger head.

Great thank you so much for all of your help. I am thinking about the r9 irons then over the burner 09 irons

Great thank you so much for all of your help. I am thinking about the r9 irons then over the burner 09 irons

Definitely demo them both though.

The r9 irons are more forgiving right? I have read that the burners are a bit longer. But what is the point if you hit it further into the woods. Would rather be a bit shorter in the middle of the fairway

The r9 irons are more forgiving right?

JB has more side-by-side experience than I do, but I believe the Burners have more offset, wider sole and topline, and a slightly larger head; and therefore would be considered more forgiving.

But definitely demo because I think the R9s are also plenty forgiving.

The r9 irons are more forgiving right? I have read that the burners are a bit longer. But what is the point if you hit it further into the woods. Would rather be a bit shorter in the middle of the fairway

I think the Burners are more forgiving actually. The R9s are slightly thinner around the top and edges and are quite forgiving, but for high and straight, the Burners take them in that.

Thanks Kevin :) Yes I did know that one, which is why I'm curious what the number 21 etched into my 6 iron means. My iron "seems" to be 28*, so I assume it doesn't mean loft.

That's why I'm curious if TM etches lofts into the iron necks. And if most people have a 28 etched into their 6 iron then something's unusual to say the least with my 6 iron.

If other people have 21 etched into their 6 iron I'm curious what it means (assuming it's not loft).

Oddly enough Vicar, I just checked my "new" R9s that TM sent me to replace my other set and long and behold, I have the 21 etched in them. Just thought I would let you know.

I finally got to take mine out today and came away pretty impressed. Granted the weather sucked, 38 degrees with 20-30 mph winds, I played pretty decent. One thing I really noticed was the difference in the long irons. On one of the par 5's I just tee'd up a 3 iron for fun. It was the first time I had even swung the club and stroked it about 240 down the middle. Granted I caught it on the button, it felt like a hot knife through butter. I had hit my previous 3 iron about 230ish max and that was after about 5 years of hitting it. I can't wait to get some time with some better conditions. As for the higher irons I didn't really get a good feel for them. I hit some good shots but because of the really cold weather pretty much every shot felt like hitting rocks. That's not a knock on the clubs because for the most part they were going where I wanted them. Another thing that I was pretty impressed with was the ball flight. It was pretty windy today and the flight was pretty penetrating. I wasn't keeping score but I believe I parred 3 of the last 4. Not bad for the first time playing in like 2 months with 10 new clubs in my bag.

Harry, great reviews! I am just curious, now that you have played them for a while, how would you compare them to the MX-200 that we both loved so much? JB, you were a fan too, what do you think?

Harry, great reviews! I am just curious, now that you have played them for a while, how would you compare them to the MX-200 that we both loved so much? JB, you were a fan too, what do you think?

I prefer the R9s. Both have great feel and great forgiveness. But I found a little more forgiveness with the R9s and a full club length more on distance.

Soxy-

Believe it or not, I like the R9s better than the MX-200s. The feel isn't as pleasing (I still find the R9s slightly clicky while the Mizzys have a deeper tone/feel), but the ball flight (for me) was much better with the R9s and the R9s are more forgiving.

I haven't hit the R9s with graphite shafts, but I'd say definitely put them on your "to demo" list. I think they are the best irons TaylorMade has put out in years. And make sure you try the steel shafts too. They KBS shafts are excellent.

Thanks guys, I am definitely going to get new irons this year and had loved the MX-200s. I will spend a while trying out various clubs and the R9s will be on my list.

Soxy-

Believe it or not, I like the R9s better than the MX-200s. The feel isn't as pleasing (I still find the R9s slightly clicky while the Mizzys have a deeper tone/feel), but the ball flight (for me) was much better with the R9s and the R9s are more forgiving.

I haven't hit the R9s with graphite shafts, but I'd say definitely put them on your "to demo" list. I think they are the best irons TaylorMade has put out in years. And make sure you try the steel shafts too. They KBS shafts are excellent.
I'm not buying irons this year,I'm not buying irons this year,I'm not buying irons this year,I'm not buying irons this year:D

Thanks guys, I am definitely going to get new irons this year and had loved the MX-200s. I will spend a while trying out various clubs and the R9s will be on my list.

Have you tried the mx-300's? I was down to the 300s and the R9s but wen't with the R9s due to being a little more forgiving. The 300s were great though. I felt they had a higher trajectory and were much easier to hit than the 200s

I haven't tried them, but will demo them this season. Did you hit the MX-200s, how different did you feel they were from the 300s? Seems like the R9s are very, very popular!

for me the difference between the 200 and the 300 was night and day. The 300s were much higher trajectory and more forgiving imo.

for me the difference between the 200 and the 300 was night and day. The 300s were much higher trajectory and more forgiving imo.

Really? They were the exact opposite to me and most of our testers for both the magazine and the site. The 300s have a slightly smaller club head, less offset, than that of the 200s.

As soon as Lets Make a Deal is over in the contest section I will get the info for you.

JB,

Any update on the details of the KBS shafts offered in the R9 irons?

Well I got another question for ya JB. I have a 21 on my 6, 7, PW, 9 and 3 iron. Then I have a 31 on the 8 iron and and 11 on my 4 iron. The mystery continues.

JB,

Any update on the details of the KBS shafts offered in the R9 irons?

I may have missed it. What info do you need?

Well I got another question for ya JB. I have a 21 on my 6, 7, PW, 9 and 3 iron. Then I have a 31 on the 8 iron and and 11 on my 4 iron. The mystery continues.

Just an internal marketing code.

I may have missed it. What info do you need?

Below is from an earlier post I made in reference to some details about the KBS shafts in the R9 irons:

Does anyone know the exact specs of the steel shafts offered in the R9? I looked on their website and could not find anything. If they are KBS Tour 90 shafts then the specs would be as follows:

Regular - 95g - .355" Tapered
Stiff - 100g - .355" Tapered

However, I got KBS wedge shafts (.355" Tapered) for Xmas and thought about putting one of them into my R9 PW to see how they played but when we pulled the head off, the shafts look like they are .370" Parallel shafts??? Thanks for any data you can provide...

Also can TM provide the weight of both the Stiff & Regular shaft???...:thumb:

My R9's finally arrived today. :banana:

So far I just hit a few balls in the store simulator but they felt fantastic! I can't wait to play with them! I should be getting a round in with them Sunday.

The only weird thing is that I ordered the R9's with the KBS Tour shafts and they put a KBS 90 shaft in my 9 iron. I can't think of any reason why they would have done this. Any of you guys have any ideas?

Upon further inspection it is in fact a KBS Tour shaft in my 9 iron and not a KBS 90. I took my with me to work last night and compared it to our stock R9 9 iron and the steps were completely different. Looks like they just put the wrong sticker on it.

Oh and for the record my irons have a little 11 etched on them.

-J

I'm not buying irons this year,I'm not buying irons this year,I'm not buying irons this year,I'm not buying irons this year:D
What's the fun in that MO?

Just a question for guys that have playing the r9's for awhile. I like to chip with my pw and 8 irons . How are these around the greens?
thanks L57

I've now put in some 8 rounds in my R9's and am still convinced I made a great purchase, they are just as great for chipping as for any other shots (I also use PW, 8 and sometimes 6). I holed out one the other day (which I seldomly do).

Back