TaylorMade Tour Preferred MB Irons Review Thread

I have the KBS 90 in them, they are a little soft for me but not soft enough to require a change, I can bend them a degree upright for the tweek.

Trout - I think they all came with KBS Tours which are 120ish grams I think. They definitely are mid-launch shafts - not like the S300s which I think you had before (right?)

Ya know I asked if they were the tour and was told no, I'll double check though and they are much different than the S300, they are definitely a feel type of shaft.

Ya know I asked if they were the tour and was told no, I'll double check though and they are much different than the S300, they are definitely a feel type of shaft.

Def the KBS tour's buddy. Coming from the DG's I knew you'd notice the difference.

When you were hitting these Jman di the Taylormade rep say anything about a metallurgy improvement or change with the new Tour Preferred series? I heard just yesterday that TMG had made a change in their forging supplier and that these irons were coming from the new supplier. This came from a comment from a local golf equipment store manager.

Interesting. I never even thought of asking this question.

When you were hitting these Jman di the Taylormade rep say anything about a metallurgy improvement or change with the new Tour Preferred series? I heard just yesterday that TMG had made a change in their forging supplier and that these irons were coming from the new supplier. This came from a comment from a local golf equipment store manager.

Not to me dude, but could have to some of the other guys, I'm sure they'll chime in.

Usually this is a question that would run through my brain, but honestly the forged questions never entered my mind during the event.

I was able to get out for about an hour today on the range and I brought a couple of my irons for comparison. The TP MB is about a degree and a half flat compared to my gamer it's also a 1/4 inch shorter and the swing weight of he TP MB is D3 compared to my D2. I'm going to keep the D3 but lengthen and raise the lie angle to get it to my specs. Even though it's different spec wise it's still pretty incredible, the long iron launch is amazing lol, I've never felt confident hitting the ball very high with a long iron and have had to work the ball around taller objects in my path, with these I have no apprehension going over objects that would stop me in the past. The mid irons compared to my gamers are just animals, the ball gets up high and with authority, it just seems like it wants to be set free and never come down lol, my gamers though are just a little more comfortable and a little more piercing. The short irons are pretty equal truthfully, both fire with superiority and pin seek if asked to.

I have a feeling the the TP's will certainly keep their spot in my bag and once I get everything adjusted they will outshine their competition by a good margin in the mid and long game area. I have made some arrangements for a few lessons to get a couple things fixed and I think I'll even like them more as we go through a learning process together.

Really enjoying your write ups Trout, thanks buddy!!

Thanks Jake, knowing your game I think you'd feel similar to the way I do, great sticks that require work and respect.

I've been walking around the house this evening carrying the 5 iron and working on my grip, I usually play a ribbed grip and these are round so it does require a little practice for me. These things are gorgeous! They're stunning to look at and compared to my 68's they look better and that's saying a lot.

next to the 68

soles, you can see how much sharper and cleaner the lines on the TP are and the satin finish is just badass!

The faces are similar, it looks like the TP is just a smidge taller but both are really compact

Both next to a ball.

MP

TP

I have made it my mission to shoot under par with these, and it's a mission I won't quit on. They are difficult to hit but not impossible, they need a few minor adjustments which I'll have done tomorrow and I'll continue to update this thread as I work on them unless I'm told to stop lol.

TaylorMade Tour Preferred MB Irons Review Thread

Trout...

Tour Preferred. Put a few $$$ in the swear jar.

Last edited:
Enjoying your thoughts, Trout. I watched you hit some great shots on Saturday. I can't wait to see how they perform for you once you get them dialed in.

Man those are clean, I shouldn't play blades and don't. But I love the feel of them, simple and analog. Those look serious, well done Taylor Made.

Great stuff Trout!

I'm seriously pondering on a full set of MB's, they might be too much in the 3/4-6 irons, but I know that I can handle, and I want to handle 7 iron and up as blades.

It's a lot of club Castor but once you launch a couple it makes you really want to work to hit them better, they are that good.

I got out to the range this afternoon for a bucket and man these things are nice! I hit some short irons to warm up and even though I felt they were a club short they were right on target every time. The majority of the bucket was with the 3, 4, and 5 irons and I'm stone cold in love with them, they launch Higher than any other long iron I've hit with pin point accuracy, it's like they have lazer sighting on them. One thing I noticed is that like the SLDR driver, they love a soft grip and the softer the better. I also tend to play most irons just left of center and with these if I play them a little more left of center I have better results. Cracking the code on these is pretty exciting and I really like a club that makes me work for the perfect shot because I enjoy working for it. So far I'm really happy with them.

I should hopefully have mine back in hand tomorrow and can give them a thorough workout this weekend.

If you guys would compare these to any cavity or a GI iron, how is the trajectory with these? I know you've said that the ball gets in the air, but would you say these are low shooters?

My typical trajectory is quite low, and I definitely do not want to go lower...

If you guys would compare these to any cavity or a GI iron, how is the trajectory with these? I know you've said that the ball gets in the air, but would you say these are low shooters?

My typical trajectory is quite low, and I definitely do not want to go lower...

Hard to compare as they looking nothing like a cavity or gi iron. For your swing I'd take the mc and the added forgiveness and run with it.

Trout thank you for the write ups and feedback. The comparison pics are amazing. I know your gamer are weathered so the MB stand out but the designs are very close. It seems the MB is taller in the face then the Mizzies. Is the accurate or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

These are just stone cold SEXY. They're probably a little too much for me, but I want to hit them all the same. My gamers aren't exactly the most forgiving stick in the world, so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Such a good looking and playable club.

As gorgeous as they are, you couldn't pay me to play them full time. Too much to be gained by a simple move even to the MC's IMO. I know we are all different, but give me a little leeway any day.

Trout thank you for the write ups and feedback. The comparison pics are amazing. I know your gamer are weathered so the MB stand out but the designs are very close. It seems the MB is taller in the face then the Mizzies. Is the accurate or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

They are a little buddy but by just a couple millimeters, I found the secret to these beauties and the last time at the range I was spanking them. I went and got them tweaked a little and really like what I see and feel, everytime I think about going forgiving my guy shows me the numbers and says stay where I am and just get a little more practice in.

They are a little buddy but by just a couple millimeters, I found the secret to these beauties and the last time at the range I was spanking them. I went and got them tweaked a little and really like what I see and feel, everytime I think about going forgiving my guy shows me the numbers and says stay where I am and just get a little more practice in.

You found the secret and you're not gonna share. You better share!

Back