So Good You're Bad

Diane

Reaction score
I know I mentioned one of my friends took lessons at GolfTec and her game has improved dramatically. The thing is that she's gotten so much better so quickly - she hasn't been able to adjust to it. By that I mean that her course management skills haven't kept pace with her ball striking skills. She has hit into water she couldn't reach before or she ends up in spots that are difficult to get out of. Have you ever played so well that your game suffered?

I have always played with a slight fade. Have had it for years, so in turn I usually aim up the left side of the fairway. There are some rounds where everything I hit is basically straight, so my aiming up the left side puts me in the rough or the woods. After a couple of holes I am proclaiming "straight is my enemy".

I was able to increase some of my yardages this season with some new swing changes. This can lead to some tough times on the course because you just aren't sure what you should hit and trying to really figure out what club you should be using. I have flown the green, came up short and hit into some hazards because I just didn't know what I was going to hit. It can be tough, but worth the few bad rounds until you can get a handle on it, then the scores will improve!

I have had increases in yardage from improving my swing or changing equipment several times, but it never took me long to adjust. My biggest problem now is aiming for an intentional fade off the tee only to have the ball come off straight. That never seems to happen when I want to hit a draw, that usually works.

This came up for me today. Oh - don't misunderstand - I didn't get dramatically better overnight, but implementing some changes from my lesson last week made enough of a difference that I needed to put more thought into club selection today instead of going for my usual.

This came up for me today. Oh - don't misunderstand - I didn't get dramatically better overnight, but implementing some changes from my lesson last week made enough of a difference that I needed to put more thought into club selection today instead of going for my usual.

Always nice to improve so that you have to readjust your club selection down a club or two. Nice going!:clapp:

I sometimes will take an extra club on purpose just to be sure I clear the hazard. It's almost always a carry over water, and other times I might have to carry a green side bunker. By taking the extra club I just about guarantee myself of getting over the hazard, but I leave myself a longer shot back to the pin, than if I had used the correct club. After all these years I sometimes lose a bit of confidence in certain shots.

Last week I had a 220 yard par 3. I pulled my 3w figuring to land the ball on the green some where. On that particular swing, I applied everything good in my swing. The ball flew the green by about 20 yards.

Always nice to improve so that you have to readjust your club selection down a club or two. Nice going!:clapp:
+1 on what C-Tech said. That's the kind of problem to have, Diane! Good going. You'll figure your new distances out.

Good job, Diane!

Good job Diane. It's been a lot of years, but I can remember when I took lessons the, the guy was really solid and had me making progress pretty steadily. Each week after the lessons and occasionally after the practices he wanted me doing I'd have to re-evaluate my distances on some clubs so I wouldn't be hitting into trouble.

Sounds like your making great head way. Wish I still had that problem.

There's famous musky fisherman that's known for the saying, "If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always got."

Sounds like you're doing what you haven't done, and getting what you never got.

Or something like that. Good job.

Kevin

A couple instances I guess. I've been working on hitting driver and I've occasionally punched it through a dogleg now that I'm hitting a bit longer.

Last fall I started working on getting more spin on my wedges, prior to that I had to bump and run everything because I couldn't get the ball to stop. After working to find the spin, I had a few rounds where I came up short on everything because I could get the ball to stop but hadn't been going directly at the pin.

+1 not a bad problem to have

I had this isse rear it's head for me near the end of last season. A lesson clicked and I started making better contact and getting the ball up high with a draw. So I flew a few greens with wedges and hit balls into trouble because it went where I was aiming.

That's a bitter pill when you hit a good shot and are wondering 'how the bleep did that go in the trees' a=only to realize your were aiming that way and the ball did what it was supposed to for once.....

I hope to have many more problems like that in the future.

I have a tendency to over club as the experts say that amateurs always under club. If I happen to be hitting the ball well on a particular day I end up flying a lot of greens. So, I am hitting the ball better, but my score will go up. If I had any consistency I could make the appropriate adjustment. Consistency, however, is not something I've ever had to worry about.

Continued success with your lessons, Diane. :)

Back