Best game improvement irons ?

Pirate95

Let it snow......
Reaction score
Handicap
OOB 13.6
I'm looking for new set of irons with max forgiveness for a 31 handicap player.I currently have Ping G10's.

I would put my vote on the Adams A70S Max hybrid irons, but each brand has their own super game improvement irons.

If you have not already (and if it can be done) go have the lie angles of your G-10 matched to your swing. Or at least have them checked out. I play a different brand, but G-10s are pretty good club.
I'm looking for new set of irons with max forgiveness for a 31 handicap player.I currently have Ping G10's.

G10's are a great GI club. That being said sometimes you just want a change. The TM Burners are a pretty easy set to hit and as suggested the Adams A7's are nice also.

i'd second the guys above, the G10 is pretty much as good as you'll get (unless your G10's are very poorly fit in terms of shaft/lie angle)

I don't think you can really get noticable more forgiving with any other choices

Just keeping my options open....I like the G10's,but if there's a better set I want to check them out.I like to make a change just for the sake of making a change sometimes.I will have my lie angle rechecked.I have made some swing changes since I bought these 2 yrs ago.

I went from the G10's to the Taylor Made Burners and couldnt be happier. You will get better distance from the Burners, IMO. I seemed to hit the G10 really high but get a more penetrating flight from the Burners and at least 10 more yards. That being said the G10's are very good clubs but I think you could find even better ones right now. The Burners and Diablo Edge irons come to mind. Adams A7's like already mentioned too.

irons

irons

mizuno mx100 irons,,,,awesome set...

The G10's are fine clubs. Remember there are no magic clubs, don't believe the marketing hype. Save your $$$ & learn to use what you have.

Callaway Big Berthas have been the irons of choice for hacks for years.

I went from the G10's to the Taylor Made Burners and couldnt be happier. You will get better distance from the Burners, IMO. I seemed to hit the G10 really high but get a more penetrating flight from the Burners and at least 10 more yards. That being said the G10's are very good clubs but I think you could find even better ones right now. The Burners and Diablo Edge irons come to mind. Adams A7's like already mentioned too.

That's funny Kevin.I also hit my G10's very high,a major reason I wanted to change,I feel like I'm leaving yardage behind all the time.

Plenty of options, though I doubt you'd see a huge difference from your G10s. As to the Big Bertha suggestion, though they are very forgiving and easy to hit, they may be a bit too "shovely" for you, for lack of a better word, coming from the G10s. You might consider Cobra S9 or FP irons, Cleveland CG7, Wilson Staff Di7 (very forgiving) or Ci7 (still forgiving, but more playable). If you're willing to look at used, I've gotten plenty of great deals from some of the used sites, where I didn't feel too much of a risk if the irons didn't totally pan out.

I currently play Wilson Di9's, they are very long and very forgiving. Even my brother who has never played a round was able to hit straight with these clubs.

I am, though, thinking about getting rid of mine. I had a chance to play the new FG Tour irons, and while I am not near a tour caliber player I hit them pretty darned well at our indoor driving range.

I think the Adams mentioned earlier, or the Cleveland Hibore Xli's you will find very very easy to hit.

I would say the A70s Max or A70s sticks would do the trick. Both are extremely forgiving and easy to swing.

Plenty of options, though I doubt you'd see a huge difference from your G10s. As to the Big Bertha suggestion, though they are very forgiving and easy to hit, they may be a bit too "shovely" for you, for lack of a better word, coming from the G10s. You might consider Cobra S9 or FP irons, Cleveland CG7, Wilson Staff Di7 (very forgiving) or Ci7 (still forgiving, but more playable). If you're willing to look at used, I've gotten plenty of great deals from some of the used sites, where I didn't feel too much of a risk if the irons didn't totally pan out.

Thanks for the input Jeffrey....I'd rather buy new though,I'm weird that way.Wed.I plan on going to Golfsmith and try out some of everyone's suggestions posted here and compare them to the G10's and see what happens.The Adams A7os , Diablo Edge and TM Burner seem like a good place to start.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions,I appreciate it!

I don't understand what's wrong with hitting the ball high. Do you play in really windy conditions? Hitting the ball high doesn't always equal less distance. I hit a high ball and love it. Of course, if you are playing in windy conditions and you struggle with the knock down then a high ball flight can hurt.

Unless you're just itching for some new sticks I wouldn't recommend buying something to replace the G10's just b/c you hit them high. That being said, if you just want new sticks then i'd recommend the a7os'. I won a set during the Holiday Cheer event and gave them to my father in law for Christmas. He started playing golf last year so he's just getting started. I'm not going to say that the Adams suddenly allowed him to shoot in the 80's or 90's but it's obvious that they are forgiving and long. They've helped his ball striking considerably and ultimately they'll help lower his scores.

Has anyone looked into the clubs recommended by the Maltby system?

I have no idea whether it's a very reliable system to go by, but I know GolfGalaxy pro's swear by it.

Has anyone looked into the clubs recommended by the Maltby system?

I have no idea whether it's a very reliable system to go by, but I know GolfGalaxy pro's swear by it.
I don't know if I buy into it.It's a reference though.So if you do buy into it I guess Callaway makes the most forgiving irons out there.

I don't understand what's wrong with hitting the ball high. Do you play in really windy conditions? Hitting the ball high doesn't always equal less distance. I hit a high ball and love it. Of course, if you are playing in windy conditions and you struggle with the knock down then a high ball flight can hurt.

Unless you're just itching for some new sticks I wouldn't recommend buying something to replace the G10's just b/c you hit them high. That being said, if you just want new sticks then i'd recommend the a7os'. I won a set during the Holiday Cheer event and gave them to my father in law for Christmas. He started playing golf last year so he's just getting started. I'm not going to say that the Adams suddenly allowed him to shoot in the 80's or 90's but it's obvious that they are forgiving and long. They've helped his ball striking considerably and ultimately they'll help lower his scores.

I understand what your saying about a high ball flight,that's not why I'm looking for a change.I just want to see if there's a better set out there for me.I just feel that after 2yrs technology certainly changes and sometimes it may be a lateral move,but sometimes it represents an improvement worthy of a change.Don't get me wrong,the G10's are a great clubs,I just need to know I have the equipment that suits my game the best.That's what gives me confidence when I step up to the ball.

I understand what your saying about a high ball flight,that's not why I'm looking for a change.I just want to see if there's a better set out there for me.I just feel that after 2yrs technology certainly changes and sometimes it may be a lateral move,but sometimes it represents an improvement worthy of a change.Don't get me wrong,the G10's are a great clubs,I just need to know I have the equipment that suits my game the best.That's what gives me confidence when I step up to the ball.

I think that's fair enough P95. I guess i'd have the lie angles checked and if you simply are in the market then i'd have to ask what you think about hybrid sets? The a7os' are great clubs, but perhaps you're like me and just don't like the look of a hybrid set at address, and if that's the case then there's a whole nother slew of choices out there.

I think that's fair enough P95. I guess i'd have the lie angles checked and if you simply are in the market then i'd have to ask what you think about hybrid sets? The a7os' are great clubs, but perhaps you're like me and just don't like the look of a hybrid set at address, and if that's the case then there's a whole nother slew of choices out there.

What ever clubs I decide to look at,I will hit them side by side with my G10's.I'll have the lie angle checked at that point....good idea TC1.I'm probably looking for a similar look to the G10's at address,I'm most comfortable with that set up.How do you like your X-22's? I've never hit Callaway's,but I hear nothing but good stuff about them.

How do you like your X-22's? I've never hit Callaway's,but I hear nothing but good stuff about them.

I like them a lot. I was in the market for some sticks early last year after a 2 year stint with some forged CCI's. The CCI's were nice sticks but ultimately I needed a little more forgiveness so the testing began. I narrowed my decision down to the X22's (i've never owned Cally previously either), Nike Split Cavity, and TM Burners. After hours on the vector l.m. at Golf USA the X22's just produced better results for me. I was custom fit and am extremely happy. They didn't dramatically change my scores but my ball striking might be the strongest part of my game since getting them.

I also like that for a GI iron, they have one of the thinnest toplines and soles to a comparable club. They ooze confidence and i would recommend that you give them a test drive.

Just look how pretty they are:

Golf024-1.jpg

Back