Why your golf clubs should be fitted to you

BigLeftyinAZ

Reaction score
[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zbIRBJ2Seds&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zbIRBJ2Seds&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/E-yEfb9iDNw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E-yEfb9iDNw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/seZJUO4ZQ_s&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/seZJUO4ZQ_s&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Just a reminder bump

So I just watched all 3 videos, mainly because I want to get fit for a new set of irons soon.

Is he just promoting his custom fitting service? The website says places like Golfsmith/Golfgalaxy aren't real custom fittings...

people should keep in mind where these videos are coming from when watching them

getting fit is important, and proper lie angles, lengths, and type of shaft and things are all very important

these videos appear to be from Wishon golf, who (feel free to correct me if I'm mis-speaking) is a component club manufacturer

a component clubmaker has really got to hang their hat on the benefits of fitting because there is no marketing budget for clubs compared to guys like callaway or taylormade or .........

I'm certainly not claiming or implying that component clubs are in any way inferior to standard off the rack stuff, but if you're near average size/strength then you won't have as much benefit to custom fitting as a much larger/smaller/stronger/weaker individual as standard off the rack spec's are pretty close for many average people.

I didn't take the time to watch the videos, but I think some full disclosure is only fair

people should keep in mind where these videos are coming from when watching them

getting fit is important, and proper lie angles, lengths, and type of shaft and things are all very important

these videos appear to be from Wishon golf, who (feel free to correct me if I'm mis-speaking) is a component club manufacturer

a component clubmaker has really got to hang their hat on the benefits of fitting because there is no marketing budget for clubs compared to guys like callaway or taylormade or .........

I'm certainly not claiming or implying that component clubs are in any way inferior to standard off the rack stuff, but if you're near average size/strength then you won't have as much benefit to custom fitting as a much larger/smaller/stronger/weaker individual as standard off the rack spec's are pretty close for many average people.

I didn't take the time to watch the videos, but I think some full disclosure is only fair

Yes,He is a component manufacturer.But, he isn't pushing his own company,that's not what he is about.He is big on custom fitting and believes everyone should be fitted that play's golf.
Why? Because not everybody can/should play clubs built to one specific length and lie angle.Nor play the same shafts.

You last statement shows that you don't believe in it.Not shocked at all,but you are doing yourself a disservice by not getting fitted.Golf is hard enough to play,Why wouldn't one want to play clubs that are meant for YOU?Why alter your swing to play clubs not fitted to you?The clubs should fit your swing.

I agree that he is a component guy, but he is talking about fitting, not buying components. I do agree however that selling components is keyed on fitting. However Any club can be fitted for you, it does not mean components at all. Height has very little to do with fitting.

Yes,He is a component manufacturer.But, he isn't pushing his own company,that's not what he is about.He is big on custom fitting and believes everyone should be fitted that play's golf.
Why? Because not everybody can/should play clubs built to one specific length and lie angle.Nor play the same shafts.

You last statement shows that you don't believe in it.Not shocked at all,but you are doing yourself a disservice by not getting fitted.Golf is hard enough to play,Why wouldn't one want to play clubs that are meant for YOU?Why alter your swing to play clubs not fitted to you?The clubs should fit your swing.

However I am also a believer in full disclosure and think it should be stated as well. Lets keep in mind that you benefit from people getting fit as well correct? YOu are a fitter IIRC, so while I agree that people should be fitted, full disclosure is that you do have a direct benefit if more people get fitted for their clubs right?

Wishon golf isn't just an average component co..You have to be a clubfitter/maker just to buy their components.Tom Wishon goes into a lot of detail on why clubs should be fit for you.He's put books out on the subject.Just my 2 cents.

I agree that he is a component guy, but he is talking about fitting, not buying components. I do agree however that selling components is keyed on fitting. However Any club can be fitted for you, it does not mean components at all. Height has very little to do with fitting.

However I am also a believer in full disclosure and think it should be stated as well. Lets keep in mind that you benefit from people getting fit as well correct? YOu are a fitter IIRC, so while I agree that people should be fitted, full disclosure is that you do have a direct benefit if more people get fitted for their clubs right?

I believe because it benefits the golfer,not me. There have been many times the fitting has been free.
I see your point JB,but It's not all about money.It's about getting people to understand getting fitted for clubs can only benefit you.I've seen way to many times people adjusting their posture and swing just so they can swing the golf club.

This statement is true for all,so I can't use it here just for these point.

Did you know that when you do something wrong in the golf swing,the body makes 3 adjustments trying to reroute swing back on plane.

Interesting discussion.

I was wondering though... Is there that big of a difference between what the video says is a real custom fitting and just the standard length/lie/loft format done at the big box stores?

Sorry for any trouble this may be... I just want to do this right the first time.

Interesting discussion.

I was wondering though... Is there that big of a difference between what the video says is a real custom fitting and just the standard length/lie/loft format done at the big box stores?

Sorry for any trouble this may be... I just want to do this right the first time.

There has been a debate that most only need the basic fitting that can be found anywhere.For those who want to go beyond the basic fitting,NO the box stores can't help.You will need to visit a professional club fitter and maker

Wishon golf isn't just an average component co..You have to be a clubfitter/maker just to buy their components.Tom Wishon goes into a lot of detail on why clubs should be fit for you.He's put books out on the subject.Just my 2 cents.
I forgot to add that Wishon components aren't clones but original designs.You need to check out Wishon golf and make you own mind up.
I just can't see why ..if you had the scratch..you wouldn't want your clubs fitted if you were buying a new set.The same people who'd benefit and are all about lessons are leaving an important part out.Then there's some of us who go through a lot of used irons till we find a set that works for us.To each his own but don't disqualify it because you think it's advertising.

I am getting ready here in about a month to get my clubs fitted and I have been told to plan on about 4 hours. The first thing they do is have me fill out and then go over a questionare about my game and where I want to go with my game and what I want out of this fitting. Then on to the moniters and test clubs and then on to swinging a trial fitted club. The big box stores offer some basic services that are helpfull but nothing along these lines that puts everything together.

I am getting ready here in about a month to get my clubs fitted and I have been told to plan on about 4 hours. The first thing they do is have me fill out and then go over a questionare about my game and where I want to go with my game and what I want out of this fitting. Then on to the moniters and test clubs and then on to swinging a trial fitted club. The big box stores offer some basic services that are helpfull but nothing along these lines that puts everything together.

Who are you going to Wulff? I have two set's now, lol, and am trying to figure out where to go. I have a message into a local golf school coach to see who he recomends, but no word yet.

I am going to a shop in Denver called De'Lance golf. A buddy went there and he was really impressed, and thats not an easy task for him. He has been golfing for over 20 years and really likes them. He just had his woods done ast year and is getting his irons done this year. He said they not only worked with the numbers on the moniter but took into account his comments about feel and stuff. They are running a complete fitting for $150 right now.

I am going to a shop in Denver called De'Lance golf. A buddy went there and he was really impressed, and thats not an easy task for him. He has been golfing for over 20 years and really likes them. He just had his woods done ast year and is getting his irons done this year. He said they not only worked with the numbers on the moniter but took into account his comments about feel and stuff. They are running a complete fitting for $150 right now.

Sounds like the way to go. Does that include new shafts or is that just changing his old clubs loft, lie and some work on his swing? Thanks for the info.

The 150 is for the fitting session only. The shafts and grips cost extra, depending on what you buy. He spent $500 just on his driver and two fairway woods. He is really serious about his game. He also went out and bought some Callaway forged wedges and they bent them to fit him also.

The 150 is for the fitting session only. The shafts and grips cost extra, depending on what you buy. He spent $500 just on his driver and two fairway woods. He is really serious about his game. He also went out and bought some Callaway forged wedges and they bent them to fit him also.

Thats what I figured. A local shop here only want's like $6 a club to fit me, but it's nothing more than a big box store type fitting. I want a real one on one fitting.

I agree with you on that one, that is why I am going to DeLance for mine. Not sure as to the date for my fitting but I will let you know how it goes.

Please do. Good luck.

I was fitted for my clubs...huge mistake. Now I can't blame the equipment any more.

De'Lance is very good.Dan is awesome to work with

Another endorsment is always good, thanks BigLefty. I will make sure to ask for Dan.

Cool thanks.

Just to be clear.I post many threads and thoughts about club fitting only to educate Golfers,Not to gain business for myself.

I'm sorry one of you has a problem about me trying to help everyone to get the most out of their game.

Back