Favorite & Least Favorite I-Mix Shafts?

vicar

Banned
Reaction score
What are your most favorite and least favorite I-Mix shafts, and why?

I've tried a few I didn't like: the Aldila DVS (R and S both felt dead to me, not unlike the fujikura e360).

I've had best results with the Blue Board S and Fubuki 63 Tour R. Blue is all it's hyped to be. Smooth, easy, accurate. The Fubuki isn't as stable, but it's as smooth, and hit well, goes father than the Blue for me.

With the iZ coming out, will be looking to add another shaft. Thinking of the Prolaunch Platinum or the fujikura 6x07.

Oh come on there have to be people playing I-Mix shafts here!:blob:

What are your most favorite and least favorite I-Mix shafts, and why?

I've tried a few I didn't like: the Aldila DVS (R and S both felt dead to me, not unlike the fujikura e360).

I've had best results with the Blue Board S and Fubuki 63 Tour R. Blue is all it's hyped to be. Smooth, easy, accurate. The Fubuki isn't as stable, but it's as smooth, and hit well, goes father than the Blue for me.

With the iZ coming out, will be looking to add another shaft. Thinking of the Prolaunch Platinum or the fujikura 6x07.

Fubuki 63 is excellent for the $$. I'm using that right now in my 10* iq head. Strangely enough the Zcom 60 plays really well in my 10* FT9. I also have the DVS and VS Proto, all of those are in R Flex. I just picked up a Blueboard 63 Stiff and Redboard 63 Regular.

What is your swing speed if you don't mind me asking? I'm wondering if the stiff BB is going to be too much for me but it looks like you are playing a mix of R and S. Is it possible that the S BB is too stiff for you, maybe losing the distance to the Fubuki in R? I think the Fubuki is also a little lower spin than the BB so that could be the distance difference.

I just purchased a 10* iq i-mix head, and the Graphite Design Pershing 65 Stiff shaft. Not sure how it will play, but couldn't pass up the deals at RockBottomGolf, and figured if the shaft isn't right, I can easily switch it out. I need to go in for a driver fitting so I can get my stats which should help me find the right shaft to go with the 10* iq head. Unfortunately the weather here in Omaha hasn't been cooperating this winter, so I don't know when I'll get to go out and try this combo.

Have any of you bought i-mix shafts from Callaway Pre-owned?

Fubuki 63 is excellent for the $$. I'm using that right now in my 10* iq head. Strangely enough the Zcom 60 plays really well in my 10* FT9. I also have the DVS and VS Proto, all of those are in R Flex. I just picked up a Blueboard 63 Stiff and Redboard 63 Regular.

What is your swing speed if you don't mind me asking? I'm wondering if the stiff BB is going to be too much for me but it looks like you are playing a mix of R and S. Is it possible that the S BB is too stiff for you, maybe losing the distance to the Fubuki in R? I think the Fubuki is also a little lower spin than the BB so that could be the distance difference.

Hey Windej, my swing speed is ~100. I have a very non violent, smooth swing, slow transition to top and from top to delivery (that's where i speed up), hold my release as long as i can (which can cause me to hook the Fubuki). It can get slower or faster, but it's going to be 100, 98, 103, like that most of the time.

The reason I play a R Fubuki is because the S Fubuki felt boardy to me. The S Blueboard however feels smooth to me.

I can load both shafts fine, but if I go for it with the Fubuki I tend to hook it (which unlike most people I actually don't mind. I prefer a center to left shot everyday over a center to right one).

I haven't measured the spin on either shaft. I basically hit what gives me best distance and feels best. The S Blueboard has almost a perfect trajectory for me (but the S Fubuki was too low for my liking, go figure).

In any event, with all that said, the next shafts I am will be looking at will be the Rombax 6X07 (which is supposed to be higher launching than the BB or Fubuki), and maybe also the Prolaunch Platinum (I am intruiged by the ultra light weight ~ 55 grams).

I should probably try the Z Com. I think people get carried away with thinking the most expensive shaft if the best, or the one the pros play must be the best. But if pros played regular flex, what do you want to bet people would be wanting to play regular, rather than S or XS.

Have you compared the BB and Z Com in the FT9 in terms of distance? I assume you use the BB in the ft-iq because it has a tighter dispersion for you than the Z Com does?

PS: The Redboard R is going to be a great shaft. That is a shaft I've looked at as well. I'd prefer it to be S because of the soft tip, but am not a fan of the heavier weight, and once you go S in that shaft the weight goes up 10 grams.

I just purchased a 10* iq i-mix head, and the Graphite Design Pershing 65 Stiff shaft. Not sure how it will play, but couldn't pass up the deals at RockBottomGolf, and figured if the shaft isn't right, I can easily switch it out. I need to go in for a driver fitting so I can get my stats which should help me find the right shaft to go with the 10* iq head. Unfortunately the weather here in Omaha hasn't been cooperating this winter, so I don't know when I'll get to go out and try this combo.

darn you got in on the rock deals huh? lol. one of my friends did as well but by the time I wanted in all the shafts were gone. $59 and $69 for all of the shafts. how can you beat those prices!

i'm seeing a lot of new shafts on ebay now for $100 or so, no doubt rock resales by those entrepreneurs among us. haven't seen any that i'm looking for yet though.

weather here in ohio is also uncooperative to get out and play this time of year, but it's somewhat fun to play indoors on a sim, or indoor driving range. and the indoor sim will give you launch angle, ball speed, etc. enough stats to give you food for thought.

cwill I haven't but bought shafts, but bought irons from Callaway Pre-owned and was very happy. Quality/Condition is usually better than advertised.

Last edited:
Well I've only tried two shafts. I originally got the FT9 with the S Fubuki and felt it was pretty good. It just launches a little too high for me. I have since gotten the Speeder 757 and this thing launches line drive rockets. It might be a tad on the stiff side for me though. I'm now thinking of either a WB S or the Kaili S. Well I could also just jump ship to the Nike VR also lol.

Hey Windej, my swing speed is ~100. I have a very non violent, smooth swing, slow transition to top and from top to delivery (that's where i speed up), hold my release as long as i can (which can cause me to hook the Fubuki). It can get slower or faster, but it's going to be 100, 98, 103, like that most of the time.

The reason I play a R Fubuki is because the S Fubuki felt boardy to me. The S Blueboard however feels smooth to me.

I can load both shafts fine, but if I go for it with the Fubuki I tend to hook it (which unlike most people I actually don't mind. I prefer a center to left shot everyday over a center to right one).

I haven't measured the spin on either shaft. I basically hit what gives me best distance and feels best. The S Blueboard has almost a perfect trajectory for me (but the S Fubuki was too low for my liking, go figure).

In any event, with all that said, the next shafts I am will be looking at will be the Rombax 6X07 (which is supposed to be higher launching than the BB or Fubuki), and maybe also the Prolaunch Platinum (I am intruiged by the ultra light weight ~ 55 grams).

I should probably try the Z Com. I think people get carried away with thinking the most expensive shaft if the best, or the one the pros play must be the best. But if pros played regular flex, what do you want to bet people would be wanting to play regular, rather than S or XS.

Have you compared the BB and Z Com in the FT9 in terms of distance? I assume you use the BB in the ft-iq because it has a tighter dispersion for you than the Z Com does?

PS: The Redboard R is going to be a great shaft. That is a shaft I've looked at as well. I'd prefer it to be S because of the soft tip, but am not a fan of the heavier weight, and once you go S in that shaft the weight goes up 10 grams.

My swing is mid/high 80's, which is why all my stuff is R flex. One thing that I don't have issues with is getting the ball in the air. I have a decent positive angle of attack so I launch the ball high and have a lot of spin. Strangely the Zcom 60/FT9 combo got my launch and spin in a great spot. I ended up gaining 10-15 yds carry vs my stock FTi with speeder 586. The Zcom is a solid shaft, even for being a stock offering. Feels much smoother than the VS Proto or DVS but obviously that is subjective.

Right now I'm playing the Fubuki 63 in the IQ. I haven't tried the BB yet, as I'm thinking the stiff will be too much for me. I picked it up without really thinking :doh: It's been crappy here in PA for the past month or so and I haven't really been able to much comparison testing.

I'm planning on giving the redboard a shot in my 10.5* FT9 Tour. The tour heads definitely launch lower so that should work pretty well with the soft tip of the RB.

Well I've only tried two shafts. I originally got the FT9 with the S Fubuki and felt it was pretty good. It just launches a little too high for me. I have since gotten the Speeder 757 and this thing launches line drive rockets. It might be a tad on the stiff side for me though. I'm now thinking of either a WB S or the Kaili S. Well I could also just jump ship to the Nike VR also lol.

No harm jumping ship to other drivers if they work well for you! Haven't hit the 757 but if it's launching like that, who can argue with those results, even if it feels a tad stiff.

My swing is mid/high 80's, which is why all my stuff is R flex. One thing that I don't have issues with is getting the ball in the air. I have a decent positive angle of attack so I launch the ball high and have a lot of spin. Strangely the Zcom 60/FT9 combo got my launch and spin in a great spot. I ended up gaining 10-15 yds carry vs my stock FTi with speeder 586. The Zcom is a solid shaft, even for being a stock offering. Feels much smoother than the VS Proto or DVS but obviously that is subjective.

Right now I'm playing the Fubuki 63 in the IQ. I haven't tried the BB yet, as I'm thinking the stiff will be too much for me. I picked it up without really thinking :doh: It's been crappy here in PA for the past month or so and I haven't really been able to much comparison testing.

I'm planning on giving the redboard a shot in my 10.5* FT9 Tour. The tour heads definitely launch lower so that should work pretty well with the soft tip of the RB.

I think you'll like the red a lot, and as I said I have been meaning to try that as well if I could find one. I have my fubuki in my ft-9 tour because it has a "more stable" tip than the bb (not soft like the red, but it works better in the tour head for the reason you mentioned about the rb). Well there's a callaway night coming up at golf galaxy next month, so I'll probably try these (and other shafts) and maybe get an idea what shaft I'd like to try next for the upcoming season.

No harm jumping ship to other drivers if they work well for you! Haven't hit the 757 but if it's launching like that, who can argue with those results, even if it feels a tad stiff.

Well I have to take it to the course but if it is launching too low then I might be losing distance. I need to see how it reacts on the course whether or not I'm getting good roll with it also.

Well I have to take it to the course but if it is launching too low then I might be losing distance. I need to see how it reacts on the course whether or not I'm getting good roll with it also.

Yeah that's true. I myself will only use a S shaft as long as I can get good height with it. 757 I think is also something like 77 gram weight? I just don't like heavier shafts, never have (I feel more control of the club through the entire swing arc with lower weighted shafts).

Seems like people have this anti high launch bias in drivers and irons, and you hear catch phrases like boring and penetrating, etc (not arguing with the merit of those, but high launch also has its merit).

As much as I love distance, I'd sacrifice it for higher launch that I know I can land in a certain area, rather than rely on roll for additional distance, but that's just personal preference. (I also find it easier to deloft my irons and driver to hit lower launching shots when I need to, than I do manipulating the clubs to increase launch).

But again it's preference. Arnie was a low ball hitter, Jack a high ball hitter, and both did quite well.

Have any of you bought i-mix shafts from Callaway Pre-owned?

speaking of which ...

callaway preowned has all i mix heads and shafts an additional 30% off their normal prices for those interested ...

they always have some sort of special ... seems this one only runs through february 1st though ...

maybe this is a sign new i mix shafts are coming this year

Last edited:
speaking of which ...

callaway preowned has all i mix heads and shafts an additional 30% off their normal prices for those interested ...

they always have some sort of special ... seems this one only runs through february 1st though ...

maybe this is a sign new i mix shafts are coming this year

Unfortunately I got their email and have a Zcom 60 & Bassara 43 on the way. Presently using the Fubuki 63 R in a FT-9 10*N.

I tried the Speeder (686) and it was a little "low", and the Fubuki 60 wasn't as stable/consistent in both my 10*N and 10.5*D heads.

Don't know why I didn't try the Zcom earlier. I hit it really well in the glued version.

Unfortunately I got their email and have a Zcom 60 & Bassara 43 on the way. Presently using the Fubuki 63 R in a FT-9 10*N.

I tried the Speeder (686) and it was a little "low", and the Fubuki 60 wasn't as stable/consistent in both my 10*N and 10.5*D heads.

Don't know why I didn't try the Zcom earlier. I hit it really well in the glued version.

The zcom 60 is a great shaft in my FT9 10*, makes sense since it's the stock shaft. It fits the head well. I'm interested in hearing how you compare the Bassara to the Zcom. I've been considering giving that a shot as well.

Interested to hear how you hit the Bassara too. What is your typical drive in terms of distance and direction?

I looked at the Bassara, and liked it was so lightweight, but the torque seemed really high to me. So I decided one of the next shafts I'll consider will be the ProLaunch Platinum (which is about half the torque of the Bassara) but still a light shaft.

Definitely post your experience with it when you get it and have time to write about it:good:

Back