Is Chivalry Dead?

SethO

IXOYE
Reaction score
Esox mentioned in another thread how he always stands up when a woman enters the room. I have been on several dates where the female I was with didn't understand why I always walked closest to the street. So many people don't know the rules. What do you think? is chivalry dead?

Seth-i think it depends on the age of the person you're asking, and perhaps their location. For me, it's not, but I was raised that way, and as you know, it's part of the whole "southern" thing.

Esox mentioned in another thread how he always stands up when a woman enters the room. I have been on several dates where the female I was with didn't understand why I always walked closest to the street. So many people don't know the rules. What do you think? is chivalry dead?

it's not dead. but it's rare.

I would say very rare, I think some people never learned the rules, others have it in them but once they got comfortable with their wife or girlfriend stopped doing it and some still do it consistently. I also believe some women are more independent and don't want things done for them... Just my two pennies

I don't think it is dead if there are stil individuals that practice it, but I do believe the population of those that are chivalrous are thinning. I was never taught the etiquette while growing up. Ever since college, I've been trying to better myself by picking up the traits as I go along in life. I still have leaps and bounds of experience to gain, but I'm miles from where I started.

Last edited:
My wife was a long time getting used to my always being closest to the street. I usually open the door, unless it's raining and I'm strying to stay dry (kidding). But I agree we don't see this as often now. I agree that some women don't care for this but I believe most appreciate the gesture.

Not only is chivalry becoming more rare but I believe etiquette in a more general sense is being lost/not taught. I think it's becoming more about "me, me and me".

many women don't even know the "rules"

most people don't have any idea about the right side of the sidewalk to walk.

It's not just guys being lazy either, I think many of us have encountered that rude B-yotch who reprimands you for holding the door for her....

Seth-i think it depends on the age of the person you're asking, and perhaps their location. For me, it's not, but I was raised that way, and as you know, it's part of the whole "southern" thing.

Yes, I would agree there. My mother was born/lived in Indiana, but she always was southern at heart. She taught me very well.

Not only is chivalry becoming more rare but I believe etiquette in a more general sense is being lost/not taught. I think it's becoming more about "me, me and me".

It is a selfish world.

many women don't even know the "rules"

most people don't have any idea about the right side of the sidewalk to walk.

It's not just guys being lazy either, I think many of us have encountered that rude B-yotch who reprimands you for holding the door for her....

People don't know how to take kindness. If a girl was bitchy because I walked on the correct side of the sidewalk, or held a door open for them, I would have to tell her she either accepts my kindness or she never sees me again.

Chivalry is dying a slow death. I hold the door open for my wife and kids and anyone who is just behind me when entering a building. My sons have learned to do the same. I still do walk on the street side when we're out walking.

I used to open my wife's door on my car when I drove, but the advent of the remote changed that for some reason. If she's driving, I won't get into the car until she does.

I will still help her into her chair when we dine out, but I don't help her with her napkin.

I guess I'm not as chivalrous as I could be. :embarrassed:

My Dad made a point of teaching us the finer points of how to act chivalrous. I still open doors for my wife, walk on the street side, walk behind her upstairs and in front of her downstairs. Not many people know this rule. It stems from women wearing long dresses and potentially falling down stairs. The man was in front to break her fall.

I hold my wife's chair for her, stand when she leaves the table and on her return. It took her a long time to grow accustomed to it.

I open the door for any woman and bend to retrieve anything they drop. If they find that sexist, too bad. That's the way I was raised and I still believe in it.

We were raised to respect others regardless of their sex. That pretty much took care of the chivalry part, and how we acted towards women. My wife, and I raised our two daughter with these same values. I have to say all things being equal, a women will get more of my respect than a man. I think now days there are more women out there who could care less about "old school" chivalry. They want, and deserve to be treated as equals when compared to their male counterparts. I know more an few tough gals out there who will open the car door for a man. No, I don't think chivalry is dead, but it is mutating into something different than it was 20+ years ago.

something interesting happened the other day that, imo, would fall under this topic. i was with an older relative doing some shopping. we exited the store and crossed the street to stop for a coffee. as we were stepping up on to the curb....my keyfob fell out of my pocket and into the sewer drain. i of course started laughing out of sheer panic. we both stood there dumbfounded. a young man (mid to late 20's) stood there watching us. you could tell he was curious so i told him i had dropped the key into the drain. he stood there shaking his head. i asked if he would mind pulling up the man hole cover so i could look for it. he replied "it's locked...you'll never get your key back". i looked straight into his eyes as i bent over and pulled the manhole off and set it aside. as he stood there and smiled i got down on my knees and went head first into the fracking sewer drain. i fished that flipping key out of mud and sludge.....bare handed. stood up.....replaced the manhole cover and walked away. after i had cleaned up....i was at the starbuck's counter. he was there. i bought him a coffee for all of his help.

d-bag.

so it's not dead. but it's rare. VERY rare.

something interesting happened the other day that, imo, would fall under this topic. i was with an older relative doing some shopping. we exited the store and crossed the street to stop for a coffee. as we were stepping up on to the curb....my keyfob fell out of my pocket and into the sewer drain. i of course started laughing out of sheer panic. we both stood there dumbfounded. a young man (mid to late 20's) stood there watching us. you could tell he was curious so i told him i had dropped the key into the drain. he stood there shaking his head. i asked if he would mind pulling up the man hole cover so i could look for it. he replied "it's locked...you'll never get your key back". i looked straight into his eyes as i bent over and pulled the manhole off and set it aside. as he stood there and smiled i got down on my knees and went head first into the fracking sewer drain. i fished that flipping key out of mud and sludge.....bare handed. stood up.....replaced the manhole cover and walked away. after i had cleaned up....i was at the starbuck's counter. he was there. i bought him a coffee for all of his help.

d-bag.

what a 1st class d-bag. sorry you had to fish your keys out like that s.d. I can't imagine a situation like that playing out. Unfortunately, i think a lot of this has to do with someone's raising. We weren't allowed to sit down at the dinner table until the ladies had their plates ready and were seated. UNBELIEVABLE!

d-bag.

That's awesome!

Esox said he stands up everytime a woman enters the room? Holy hell he must have strong legs! Why would you stand up everytime a women enters the room, if every man did that they would look at all of us funny. Example: 10 guys are sitting in a cafateria.....2 women enter the room and we all stand up? Weird.......I understand standing up when meeting a woman to shake her hand but other than that seems like it's overkill.....

There were earlier posts of it not being taught anymore and I would have to agree with that statement for the most part. while I won't stand whena lady enters the room I do stand when she leaves or arrives at the table, hold open doors, walk streetside and in front of up the stairs. I have taught my two daughters to expect the same thing from their dates, along with coming to the door and things along that line. My oldest daughter has taught her husband most of them, and my youngest knows them expects the same from her boyfriends. She has told me on occasion when we are out how she likes it when i do these things, not only for her but her friends have commented how they thought it was really cool. Back when I was in the dating scene i would tell my dates right up front, that this is the way I was and you know I never had one complain.

My BF doesn't even open the door for me anymore :( But he does always let me sit on the inside at restaurants and lets me have the asile seat so I don't have to sit next to weirdos :)

Why do men open car doors for women?

So they can break wind on the way back around the car.....:D

Why do men open car doors for women?

So they can break wind on the way back around the car.....:D

C'mon man.... don't be giving away our secrets now.... It's hard to find those opportunities when you're on a date. :laughing:

Yes, the South is the last vestige of etiquette in the world that has lost its way.

I always made the excuse that I thought I had a tire going flat and I would get out and walk around the car like I was checking, then get back in without causing an environmental disaster in the car.

i guess I'd say I'm rude,crude and socially unacceptable.But that's also the kind of women I seek out.So it all works out in the long run.Nothing wrong with manners and pc i just ain't got time.

Dad always walked on the street side of the sidewalk, so it feels weird to me if the man doesn't. I gave up training Hubby on that one; The Kid resists, but I'll beat him into submission.

But with doors--the person who gets there first or who has a free hand can open it. I love buildings with two sets of doors on the way in. Often a fellow will open the first door for me, and I make a point of opening the second for him. It's usually good for smiles all around.

Yes, the South is the last vestige of etiquette in the world that has lost its way.

I disagree. It may come in a different form in another region of the country, but etiquette still exists in most places. There are rude people everywhere you go, but there are also thoughtful helpful people as well.

Back