Ya know--for better for for worse, in sickness and in health. This is where the rubber hits the road. I just hope for both of your sakes that she's better at it than I am.

That is the saying but as we all know "it is easier said then done"...however, my wife is a nurturer by nature so taking care of me won't be the issue it will be my mental state as I wil be going CRAZY :banghead: with not being able to be active for 3-4 months...

That is the saying but as we all know "it is easier said then done"...however, my wife is a nurturer by nature so taking care of me won't be the issue it will be my mental state as I wil be going CRAZY :banghead: with not being able to be active for 3-4 months...

I'm with you there. I've been on a medical restriction since mid-September and am counting the remaining hours. 69 of them, and 25 minutes.

UPDATE: I went to the doctor last week to review my MRA (version of an MRI for the shoulder where they shoot a dye into your shoulder..ouch!)...anyway his initial analysis was that I had a laberal tear...well the MRA showed not only do I have a laberal tear but I also have a 80-90% tear in one of my rotator cuffs...so on January 18th he is going to repair both...:crying:

We spoke some more about recovery and the following was the news I recieved:

1) No shower for 5 days (man my wife is going to love this)

2) After 12 days they start moving my lower arm (elbow, etc...)

3) After 4-6 weeks physical therapy will move my shoudler for me (very incrementally)

4) After 3 months he said if things are going good he may let me putt (he is all about only doing things where my arms hang)

5) Probably will not be able to hit balls (on any consistent basis) until June...DANG! There goes almost half of 2010...:banghead:

That sucks! (And is exactly why I didn't have surgery on my torn labrum.)

That said, best of luck and hope you're better than new on the other side.

Wow ZMF, that's a long recovery period. Did the doctor tell you where the RC tear was? If it's a supraspinatus tendon tear like mine was, at least the RC surgery will be cakewalk. Although physical therapy takes a while (I have a PT appointment today in fact, so over three months so far) it really isn't too bad. I have no idea how the laberal tear and PT for its recovery is.

Here's to hoping the surgery goes well and you recover quicker than expected!

That sucks! (And is exactly why I didn't have surgery on my torn labrum.)

That said, best of luck and hope you're better than new on the other side.

Thanks and I hear you but I am in pain most of the time and it tends to make it hard to get a good nights sleep...plus worse of all with a lost of strength I have lost 10 yards with my irons alone...:at-wits-end:

Wow ZMF, that's a long recovery period. Did the doctor tell you where the RC tear was? If it's a supraspinatus tendon tear like mine was, at least the RC surgery will be cakewalk. Although physical therapy takes a while (I have a PT appointment today in fact, so over three months so far) it really isn't too bad. I have no idea how the laberal tear and PT for its recovery is.

Here's to hoping the surgery goes well and you recover quicker than expected!

Thanks "bonknhead"...not sure exactly but I think the RC is in the front of the shoulder (where I feel it anyway). They will fix it orthoscopically along with the Laberal tear and the recovery is close to the same...this is exactly the same surgery Greg Norman had (but in his right shoulder) on Sept 30th and I read on his website that his doctor said he will not be able to practice with any consistency until February...:angry:

Thanks "bonknhead"...not sure exactly but I think the RC is in the front of the shoulder (where I feel it anyway). They will fix it orthoscopically along with the Laberal tear and the recovery is close to the same...this is exactly the same surgery Greg Norman had (but in his right shoulder) on Sept 30th and I read on his website that his doctor said he will not be able to practice with any consistency until February...:angry:

That seems like a lot of repair to do orthoscopically. Mine was conventional surgery - the surgeon told me that since I'm pretty active that conventional, not orthoscopic surgery would provide a more complete repair of the tendon tear. He also "scraped" of the underside of the acromion to avoid future shoulder impingment. The 2 1/2" scar isn't pretty, but it doesn't bother me.

That seems like a lot of repair to do orthoscopically. Mine was conventional surgery - the surgeon told me that since I'm pretty active that conventional, not orthoscopic surgery would provide a more complete repair of the tendon tear. He also "scraped" of the underside of the acromion to avoid future shoulder impingment. The 2 1/2" scar isn't pretty, but it doesn't bother me.

It seems the main objective on Jan 18th is the laberal tear and what he said about the RC tear is that while he is there he will look at the RC and he told me that if it is 50% or less they don't repair it??? But he said it looked more like 80-90% but he felt confident if it needed repair he could do it while in there??? I just want the darn thing fixed!

Thanks and I hear you but I am in pain most of the time and it tends to make it hard to get a good nights sleep...plus worse of all with a lost of strength I have lost 10 yards with my irons alone...:at-wits-end:

I know the feeling. I went for YEARS waking up with that pain ... anytime I tried to put my arm up on my pillow. Plus I would re-aggravate it everytime I played other sports.

My pain is pretty much gone now (comes back occassionally), but it took a good 10 years to get to this point. You are doing the right thing.

Sorry to hear about your condititon...unforturnatley, I think it is something that any serious golfer is going to face in one or more of their joints heading deeper into middle age...

...good luck on the recovery...I've been there and it's no fun sitting on the sidelines...

UPDATE:

I had the surgery on Jan 18th and they repaired both a laberum tear and a rotator cuff tear...ouch!

Recovery has not been very pleseant (pain not too bad after 3rd day just annoying) but while recovering (day 3) I ended up with a flu bug which really wiped me out on top of the surgery.

Today 1/26/10...first day back to work and feeling weak but glad to be out doing something. I have my first doctor appt Friday and I think next week I start PT.

Sure feels like it will be a long time until I can swing a golf club again...:angry:

Hey ZM - Glad your recovery is going well. The biggest pain (at least for my RC surgery) was the sling, especially while driving. Are you on any pain meds?

I hope you'll have a great appointment and you'll be back to golf in no time and maybe even better!!! :)

Hang in there ZM, glad to hear they are getting you fixed up. Hey, maybe they put something in there like the Bionic man, lol. I can see it now, your first drive 400 yards, hehe.

I'm sure this period away from golf will be appreciated once you take your first few swings without pain. I know I am setting myself up for something like that later in life with my partial tear in the rotator cuff. Good luck on the recovery!

Update:

Went to the doctor last week (8 week check up) and he was happy with my progress (130 deg range of motion). However, he said I still have too much inflammation and he is concerned about my shoulder getting frozen (there is a technical term for this?)…so he gave me a cortisone shot which was well over a week ago and I really don’t notice any difference…dang...
:banghead:

Good news is he let me out of that DARN sling and when I showed him that I putt left hand low (surgery was on left shoulder) he agreed to let me start doing some putting…
:banana:

So yesterday was my first day at the golf course and I putted for an hour (had been doing some shorter session at home for the last week to see how I did) and man did that feel GREAT. Actually it kind of made my shoulder sore today but probably in a good way from using the muscle. I plan to take it slow as I really cannot lag putt as that much movement bothers my shoulder…I think I will just work on my 10 feet or less putting until I go back at to see the doctor (April 16th). When hopefully I will have progressed enough that he will let me start chipping.

I still go to PT two days a week as they are trying to increase my range of motion. I do exercises they gave me everyday that I don’t go to PT and ice it at least once a day...it will be 10 weeks next Monday. This is a very incremental process and the light at the end of the tunnel is not very bright yet but I guess I am improving as about a week and a half ago I finally could take a shower without help and I started tying my own shoes…now that is progress!!!
:clapp:

Sounds like good progress. :thumb:

I had my 90% torn supraspinatus repaired back in early September, and I was told by my PT that I have full ROM about a month ago. I've played 9 holes twice since (we won't talk about my scores, lol), but I feel no pain at all, even when swinging hard. I carried both times too.

Sounds like good progress. :thumb:

I had my 90% torn supraspinatus repaired back in early September, and I was told by my PT that I have full ROM about a month ago. I've played 9 holes twice since (we won't talk about my scores, lol), but I feel no pain at all, even when swinging hard. I carried both times too.

It is good to hear someone with a success story...right now swinging a 6 iron hard is really somehting hard to imagine but I guess (and hope) I will be there agin someday soon...my doctor said he was real proud of the work he did as he said the rotator was in pretty bad shape and he felt like I should have no problem being 100% again but why does it have to take so DANG long?
:banghead:

Congrats on the progress that is fantastic!!

Thank you very much...I guess I never thought progress in my life would comprise of me being able to tie my shoes again...
:joy:

hey i-guy

tore my labrum in half on my right shoulder in a bad car accident back in 2004. I had the arthroscopic surgery to repair it. I also tore some tendons in my right wrist and had to have that repaired at the same time. lost some speed/strength in my swing but have learned to adjust to it and still really enjoy playing. make sure you really stick to your rehab plan and dont rush back to trying to anything to fast or you will really set yourself back. I wore the sling as well and couldnt wait to get it off either but just take it slow and easy. the biggest loss is probably range of motion thats why your rehab is soooooooooo important. I still cant throw a baseball or football very well or very long with the kids but you find different ways to do things. dont know about you but I never responded well to the cortisone shots and prefered alot of ice to ease the pain and heat for swelling. one good thing I guess is now I'm a walking weatherman. my right shoulder and wrist are like a barometer, it starts to ache a day or two before really cold weather or rain. strange thing though is day of the rain or cold weather its fine. I had one of the best surgeons in the states do mine in Dr. Steven C. Mirabello of the Florida Joint Replacement and Sports Medicine Complex. He is the team physician for the Dunedin Blue Jays, the Orthopaedic Consultant for the Toronto Blue Jays and the Philadelphia Phillies, as well as an associate member of Physician for the Professional Baseball Society. His group has done many famous athletes over the years. But thats only the first phase now comes the most important as far as I'm concerned. REHAB! Listen very carefully to your PT and stick to your care plan and most important be very very patient. Things will go very slowly for a while but the hard work will pay off in the end. Good luck and dont get discouraged!

oh yeah one more thing dont forget Chicks dig scars!! :smile-big:

Sunday_Hacker...Sorry about your accident and I am glad that you can still enjoy your life like paying golf etc…I also appreciate the first hand advice with the rehab and I have heard that advice a lot…it seems everywhere I went when I had my sling people would come up to me and say you either had rotator or labrum tear repaired and then the would proceed to tell me their story and it would always include “follow the rehab”. I am following the rehab as it is being done by a friend at Florida Orthopedic Institute…she is the lead person there and is very experienced with shoulders. My doctor is from FOI and is considered very conservative with his rehab approach (per my PT) but he is also very successful…so I feel I am in good hands (literally) and feel like my recovery is now going good…hope to be swinging the club and trying to find my game again soon…but not until the Doctor and PT tell me I can…Ha! Ha!

PS...I hear you about scars but I really don't have any due to the surgery being orthoscopic
:peace2:

yeah I got jipped on the scars too with arthoscopic surgery but if you look really hard you can see them!! :clown:

Back