dzdncfsd

Reaction score
Handicap
Just curious what others have done to help relieve some lower back pain from golfing?

I played the last 4 days as well as made two trips to the range and hit jumbo buckets. I think I may have overdone it because today I'm feeling the pain. Didn't help my round yesterday as I found myself standing too upright and had no flex because my back was already tightening up on me.

I think it's time to start hitting the gym again. I shouldn't be this out of shape in my early thirties

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually take 2 Advil before I play and seat warmers in the car help as well :good:

Smallville

Smallville

You might want to pm smallville. He was talking about some sort of back pillow called a shiatsu pillow from homedics? Anyway he will know what i am talking about. I can feel your pain as I hit tons of balls before last year's club championship and ended up barely being able to play. Too much of a good thing.

I've heard... um, cough, sigh ... pampren is good for back pain. I've had more than my share of lower back pain. Good luck.

Re: Back pain?!?

Thanks for the advice everyone. Sounds like I need to stop buying clubs and start concentrating on stocking my bag with back remedies.

You might want to pm smallville. He was talking about some sort of back pillow called a shiatsu pillow from homedics? Anyway he will know what i am talking about. I can feel your pain as I hit tons of balls before last year's club championship and ended up barely being able to play. Too much of a good thing.

This is the best one of these back massage things I have found. The one that looks like a seat with seat back just doesn't go low enough. This one you can put right on where it hurts. It's also the cheapest of all of them. I've seen it at Sam's Club, Wal Mart, Bed Bath and Beyond. I use it without the heat turned on.

00031262027986_20090912154428068

Something else I've been using is called Back2Life (http://www.getback2life.com/). It basically does the excercise the chiropractor wants you to do. But when your back hurts, it's all but impossible to lift both legs up in the air when lying on your back. My back hasn't felt this good in years. I use it every day, mostly when watching TV in the evenings. And right after golf makes the back hurt less than if I don't use it.

Best thing I have found for back pain? Altitude. When I was in Grand Junction, CO (5,000 feet) and even Las Vegas (2,000 feet) my back did not hurt AT ALL, even after driving all day. 800-900 feet in Kansas City isn't high enough.

Lots of PT stretches here. When I get home, I'll see what I can find on the web.

work out regularly, wood choppers are particularly good.
core work, press ups, plank etc.

oh, and dont carry your bag. lol. :)

Please guy's... someone "back" me up on the Pamprin! No pun intended, hehe

I have found if I take 2 Alieve a hour befoe a round, I have no back ache at all. I tried the others and they did nto work for me. But everyone is different, I have hard some guys might even use Pamprin.

I have found the only time my back hurts is when my swing is at it's ugliest. When I do it correctly, my back is fine.

If you can tolerate it - Aleve is the best OTC product for back pain. Just drink a lot of water when you take it.

Ok I think I'll start taking some aleve. I usually have no problem with back pain and I've been going to the range 2-3 days during the week and a round or two on the weekend. I really think 4 days playing 18 and two range trips after my rounds did me in.

I played terribly yesterday as well so the ugly swing thing was probably part of it as well?

Pamprin? Um not gonna happen. Well if I do take it I doubt I would ever admit to it haha.

Pamprin? Um not gonna happen. Well if I do take it I doubt I would ever admit to it haha.

haha! he just stuck it to ya ol' due. lol.

Nah, D makes a good point, my back only gives me grief when my swing is out of sorts, nothing a good heating pad and a stiff drink can't take care of though.

I played terribly yesterday as well so the ugly swing thing was probably part of it as well?

Were you a bit stressed and tense about the way you played as well? That could add to the pain.

Is it a good idea to take something before you play? Isn't masking the pain worse than knowing it's there? At least you know to take it easy when you start feeling it. If you don't feel it while you are playing, couldn't you do more damage?

Yeah very tense and frustrated with my play. Played so well in my other three days of golf and yesterday just started out badly and never improved. I was over swinging and I'm sure my swing looked like the motion created by an unfolding lawn chair.

I was only messing around about the pamprin due. If it works it works.

A week or so ago I played 90 holes in 4 days, which also included range balls, and short game practice. I did not feel it till 3 days later. When ever I play a lot of consecutive rounds of golf, and/or practice a lot I will feel it a few days or so afterwards.What I do, and something I learned by accident utilizes a firm pillow. When I go to bed, I lay on my side, place the pillow along my back, then lean over, into the pillow. Not completely laying on my side, but not on my back either. Don't know why it works for me. Every time I go to sleep like that I wake up free of back pains.

That said I also know that I need to do some exercises to strengthen my lower back muscles. Probably losing some my excess belly would also help too. Then again if I don't take breaks in between these golf binges, I never get sore. :confused2:

Is it a good idea to take something before you play? Isn't masking the pain worse than knowing it's there? At least you know to take it easy when you start feeling it. If you don't feel it while you are playing, couldn't you do more damage?

I know when I play a round of golf I am going to have some level of pain, either in the back or somewhere else. When I take the two Alieve, the medicine kicks in just as the rond starts, lasts a full 8 hours and does not give the pain a chance to start. If I waited till it hurt to take it then I would be uncomfotable the last few holes of the round, and then for a hour or two until I could get the Alieve into my body and give it time to work. In the grand scheme, I prefer being pro-active instead of re-active with this.

Oh, carp, I can't find a picture of the best back stretch ever.

Lie on your back. Left foot on the floor, so your knee is pointing up in the air. Cross the right ankle over your left leg, just above the knee. Using your hands, slowly pull your left thigh towards you. Hold. Then do it on the other side. Back and forth a few times.

Does that make sense?

Lie on your back. Left foot on the floor, so your knee is pointing up in the air. Cross the right ankle over your left leg, just above the knee. Using your hands, slowly pull your left thigh towards you. Hold. Then do it on the other side. Back and forth a few times.

Does that make sense?

Not really. How about you put together a quick demo video?

Kevin

Does that make sense?

Yes, that does do a great job of stretching the lower back.

I am an Advil before the round guy. And if needed a couple more at the turn.

I have had back problems off and on for years. alternating ice and heat in the first 24-48 hrs can make the pain better.

Prov, I have not heard anyone using a pillow like you do. I lay on my side which I find helps my back and shoulders. I have to try your suggestion.

pain relievers are masking your pain and giving you more chance of serious injury......

core strength,

body awareness,

stretching,

this is what you need,

if any drugs are taken they should be anti-inflams (not medical advice)

I'm a physical therapist, and at any good clinic you will find an avid golfer who is a practitioner and will be able to give you golf specific advice specific to you.

do yourself a favor, go see a professional

all you can lose is strokes off your card :act-up:

pain relievers are masking your pain and giving you more chance of serious injury......

+1. I think the same thing. When you don't know you've hurt it and keep going like you didn't isn't a good thing.

Funny thing with my back problems, 18 holes of golf doesn't really doesn't hurt while I'm playing. I usually don't feel it until I get out of my truck at home after the round.

Back