Cobra Bio Cell Irons Review Thread

Gotcha. I will update the pic after I play again on Friday and put it through it's paces again. I'll do a side-by-side with the previous pic to see how much the wear continues beyond initial use.

Gotcha. I will update the pic after I play again on Friday and put it through it's paces again. I'll do a side-by-side with the previous pic to see how much the wear continues beyond initial use.

That would be really awesome! Thank you!

I get that wear can be an issue sometimes, but really what do you expect from it? It is a piece of metal hitting the ground/mat numerous times with force.... some wear should be expected. If huge chunks of finish were falling off, I would be concerned... but I am not concerned by the wear I have seen on mine at all.

I get that wear can be an issue sometimes, but really what do you expect from it? It is a piece of metal hitting the ground/mat numerous times with force.... some wear should be expected. If huge chunks of finish were falling off, I would be concerned... but I am not concerned by the wear I have seen on mine at all.

With these clubs its just more noticable then others for me. Largely due to the fact that the soul is very bright/shiny. Anything polished is going to show more wear than a flatter metal. I also am going to try and polish the soul to see how many are scuffs and how many are scratches.
In the end its the bottom of the club and it doesnt effect performance or the actual use of the club. Its just something shook asked about and I told him id answer for him.

Here are some pictures of the face and sole. I have primarily used the club on the range about 8 times, on a SIM once, & one round.

umesu8ug.jpg

u2e6ana7.jpg

Thanks Mike, sole is not bad at all. If anything the face has a bit more wear than perhaps I would expect but nothing terrible.

Thanks Mike, sole is not bad at all. If anything the face has a bit more wear than perhaps I would expect but nothing terrible.

I agree. Not sure if it's the harder balls on the range or what, but the face has the more noticeable marks. (As you can see I'm making contact higher on the face)..

The sole is what I was referring to earlier when I mentioned it was not bad IMO. At the end of the day I expect marks to pop up & they don't deter me from liking/hating a club.

I agree. Not sure if it's the harder balls on the range or what, but the face has the more noticeable marks. (As you can see I'm making contact higher on the face)..

The sole is what I was referring to earlier when I mentioned it was not bad IMO. At the end of the day I expect marks to pop up & they don't deter me from liking/hating a club.

Amen. Irons are the workhorses of the bag.

Thank you for the pics.

On the chrome plated irons I'm kinda happy when the "defacing" gets over with quickly. I prefer a satin finish but it seems that most of the clubs I tend to like (X2 Hots, Bio Cell) have this finish and you just have to bite the bullet and move on.

On the wear issue. I find driving ranges have more sand in the turf than out in the fairways, thus alot of range time will show more wear. This is for all brands & models

Here are some pictures of the face and sole. I have primarily used the club on the range about 8 times, on a SIM once, & one round.

umesu8ug.jpg

u2e6ana7.jpg

Reminds me of how the Rocketbladez wore on the faces last year. These irons aren't built for finest. They're like a V-8 ready to tear down the road. Power doesn't always have to be pretty.

Rap-a-tap Tappin' on my SG4

Copying from preview thread:

Fantastic info War, thanks for sharing!

I know I've see you struggle with getting the ball to your preferred launch in the past so it is great to hear that the stock setup is treating you so well.

Now for me, getting a higher trajectory with the iron (or any club) has never really been an issue so my question is: Is it possible that the stock setup could give someone too much launch? I don't think it'll be an issue for me but I'm curious as to thoughts from the testers (other thread I know) if any of them are natural highball hitters and seeing too much launch.

Sorry boys, I posted my little review in the wrong thread last night...

I am to the point with this iron, that I would LOVE to see a full set in the bag to see how they perform for me. What I see out of the 6i is just impressive. Many here know that I struggle at times with my launch and ball flight being too low. In the past, a lower ball flight has caused me to struggled holding greens, as my trajectory downward is not steep enough that the ball just does not have the angle to hold when it lands.

Today, on a dogleg left Par 4, I left myself a bit too far to the right than I would like off the tee, and had about 175 to the pin. I pull the 6i from this distance and took a nice smooth stroke and flushed it. Ball tracked dead at the pin, and landed the back of the green with a hop and stop, about a foot or so from the pitch mark. Being able to strike a 6i so well, and then stick a green from that kind of distance is something that has pretty much sold me on these irons. I could only imagine how well I could game a full set. Seems like they are setup perfectly for what I would need.

I am still shocked at the ball flight I see out of a 6i, which is something I have struggled with as I said above. However, the launch produced here is just about perfect, and I attribute that to the weighting technology found on the Bio Cell and the pairing with the lighter weight shaft. I find that my misses are not terrible, and even with a shot out off the toe, I find it to not be penalizing at all, just typically results in a slight distance loss.

Many people see the pictures and are turned off by what they see. I highly encourage people to get these in hand and judge the looks by what they see in person, and not pictures. And then from there, take a few cuts with them and let the results lead you to your opinion.

I'll say this; These irons have shut me up.

When I first saw them, I was not a fan. Results on the course have swayed that opinion. I would game a full set without thinking twice.

I know I've see you struggle with getting the ball to your preferred launch in the past so it is great to hear that the stock setup is treating you so well.

Now for me, getting a higher trajectory with the iron (or any club) has never really been an issue so my question is: Is it possible that the stock setup could give someone too much launch? I don't think it'll be an issue for me but I'm curious as to thoughts from the testers (other thread I know) if any of them are natural highball hitters and seeing too much launch.

I tend to hit a high soft ball but with the lead tape I have added I am getting high piercing flight rather than the high balloon flight I am used to although I have also been working on reducing my flip but regardless of that my launch has been less than the loft of the club which is goal for me.

I could see that happening. But, I think the ball comes off the face so hot that you're not going to see too much of a ballooning effect. This is one of the few irons where I can hit a high draw no problem.....and I hate the high draw (Thank you Lee Westwood)

I really think, that if I were in need of new irons this year, that I would be picking up a complete set of these. Really like how the 6iron sets up for me, and really liking what I see from it.

Now I just need to convince myself that new irons are needed.

So it rained off and on most of the morning here. I was dedicated to get 9 in regardless of the weather. I was pretty much the only one out there. On number 5 a long par 5 I stopped the cart at 170 out to the center of the green. Pulled out all 13 balls I had left and dropped them on the ground.
Maybe it was the swing, maybe the golf gods were helping me out for touching it out through the weather, but outta the 13 balls I hit the green with 11 of them. Dispersion was about 5 yrd either way. I'll take that with a 6 iron any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Greens were a little damp so I can't say to much about the fact that the balls stopped after 1 good bounce, I left myself probably 8 make able putts out of the 11.
The grip got a little slippery toward the last couple balls but how many times are you taking 11 swing plus practice swings in a row.
The bio cell iron just works. Effortless trajectory and good distance.
As I've said if your looking for a new set of irons don't sleep on these.

I spent a lot of time with this at the range yesterday. The more I use it, the more I love it. At this point - and in the first few times of using it I wouldn't have said this - I prefer hitting this over my JPX 825 6i. I still get a bit of dispersion on distance, but that's more me being an 18 handicap ball-striker than anything else. What's most important is that the ball is going where I am aiming it even on mishits that would send the ball severely off-line with the still-forgiving JPX sticks. I'm not sure how it's exactly doing this, but it's working.

I'd love to see how a whole set of these works out...!! :clapp:

I've grown used to the swing weight and I love it. The shafts are excellent and really help get the ball into the air. I'm still amazed how far the ball goes when you hit it flush...it's going as far as I hit my 4h mashie!!

I'm playing a round tomorrow and I'm eager to use it as much as possible on-course.

I spent a lot of time with this at the range yesterday. The more I use it, the more I love it. At this point - and in the first few times of using it I wouldn't have said this - I prefer hitting this over my JPX 825 6i. I still get a bit of dispersion on distance, but that's more me being an 18 handicap ball-striker than anything else. What's most important is that the ball is going where I am aiming it even on mishits that would send the ball severely off-line with the still-forgiving JPX sticks. I'm not sure how it's exactly doing this, but it's working.

I'd love to see how a whole set of these works out...!! :clapp:

I've grown used to the swing weight and I love it. The shafts are excellent and really help get the ball into the air. I'm still amazed how far the ball goes when you hit it flush...it's going as far as I hit my 4h mashie!!

I'm playing a round tomorrow and I'm eager to use it as much as possible on-course.
I think it's quite telling for a lot of us, how much gaming just this 1 iron form the set has made us all ponder a full set so much. Admittedly, when I first got the 6i, I was thinking that it would be a tough testing, as me and a 6i arent typically the best of friends. But, this one has impressed the heck out of me.

I think it's quite telling for a lot of us, how much gaming just this 1 iron form the set has made us all ponder a full set so much. Admittedly, when I first got the 6i, I was thinking that it would be a tough testing, as me and a 6i arent typically the best of friends. But, this one has impressed the heck out of me.

The more I think about it, I think switching back & forth between this and my other gamers might be contributing to some of my issues as they have very different feels to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The more I think about it, I think switching back & forth between this and my other gamers might be contributing to some of my issues as they have very different feels to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Obviously, that is something that could cause issues, for sure. Especially when taking in to account swing weight, length of iron, shaft, etc. Thats why I try to work with this one for a good while on the range when I have range time, to really get a feel for how it works for me, rather than just compare it to my irons in the bag.

Completely agree. In a typical round, I would pull a 6 iron very sparingly.... but I really enjoy swinging this club.

Obviously, that is something that could cause issues, for sure. Especially when taking in to account swing weight, length of iron, shaft, etc. Thats why I try to work with this one for a good while on the range when I have range time, to really get a feel for how it works for me, rather than just compare it to my irons in the bag.

Exactly once I added the lead tape to match the swingweight to my gamers it was like a whole new club.

Have to admit I want to hit one of these after seeing the reviews. When I saw the pics to start I was blah. But the numbers dont lie.

Have to admit I want to hit one of these after seeing the reviews. When I saw the pics to start I was blah. But the numbers dont lie.

As many including myself have said pictures due these clubs no justice. In hand they look much much better. You should definitely give them a swing if you get a chance. The new bio line in its entirety is extremely solid.

Back