I would not worry to much about Phil Mickleson. He has a few more things under his belt than most of the rest of the PGA players. Especially those who are speaking poorly of him. They should let their clubs speak first, then run their mouths. :D

Re: Phil mickelson

provisional said:
I would not worry to much about Phil Mickleson. He has a few more things under his belt than most of the rest of the PGA players. Especially those who are speaking poorly of him. They should let their clubs speak first, then run their mouths. :D

+1 x infinity.

I agree that it's against the spirit of the rule. But they are legal, so you cannot say they are cheating. But I think the USGA dropped the ball on this one by not considering that these guys would figure out to use those old Pings. (Would these be allowed in R&A events?)

Not sure what they are going to do to get out of this situation. It's not like they can make the rough more penal at every tournament they play, because that would penalize those who are playing the new clubs even more. It's a nightmare for the USGA right now.

I gotta admit that I don't know the court ruling for Ping back then that would allow the U shaped grooves to be used today.

i think all of this is ridiculous. i feel sorry for phil at this point. he's prepared, he's excited about golf in 2010 and i think that he could be great for the tour. other tour players need to realize this as opposed to shining a light on something else negative on the tour. i don't understand the logic behind any of this at all. the wedge is allowed....enough said.

My thoughts exactly. Ditto Ditto Ditto

My thought process is this:

Why would players pull out 20 year old wedges unless they provided something special? Out of all the wedges that are available now, why pull out the only ones with square grooves that are allowed?

My thought process is this:

Why would players pull out 20 year old wedges unless they provided something special? Out of all the wedges that are available now, why pull out the only ones with square grooves that are allowed?

b/c they help bite the golf ball better and keep the ball from climbing up the club face. I don't know if they provide anything special, just give players spin tendencies that they've been accustomed to.

b/c they help bite the golf ball better and keep the ball from climbing up the club face. I don't know if they provide anything special, just give players spin tendencies that they've been accustomed to.

This is true.

I think part of this is that Phil is using those wedges just to spite the PGA and the new rule regarding grooves. He has already said he thinks its unnecessary, confusing, and basically stupid.

You could make the argument it's not in the spirit of the game to use them, but since they are legal, he's not doing anything wrong.

This is true.

I think part of this is that Phil is using those wedges just to spite the PGA and the new rule regarding grooves. He has already said he thinks its unnecessary, confusing, and basically stupid.

You could make the argument it's not in the spirit of the game to use them, but since they are legal, he's not doing anything wrong.

i guess this is hard for some people to fathom.

I really don't see the big deal about these wedges. Sure, they are only a loop-hole in the rule book, but anyone has the opportunity to use them as well if they can get their hands on some of the gandfathered clubs. I guess other players will always criticize their competition while they are being beaten.

I can't go with Phil on this one and I'm a PM fan. I also disagree with the new groove rule, however Phil is exploiting a loop hole. If these clubs are not widely available to everyone on the course, (and they may be but I doubt it), then he shouldn't be taking advantage of them.

With that said, I think it's extremely stupid of someone like McCarron to be calling PM a cheater, sound childish at best. I don't agree with what he's doing, but it's not cheating. If someone disagrees he should go about it in a way that spur's Phill to do the right thing, not call name. As was said earlier, the PGA and RA were the ones who goofed up here. Phil, right or wrong, found a way to circumvent the situation.

I did not realize that PM using 20 year old clubs, was keeping McCarron down the leader board. Perhaps more focus on play, and less complaining might move him up a few paychecks. Wait you mean he missed the cut? Phil, shame on you. :banana:

I can't go with Phil on this one and I'm a PM fan. I also disagree with the new groove rule, however Phil is exploiting a loop hole. If these clubs are not widely available to everyone on the course, (and they may be but I doubt it), then he shouldn't be taking advantage of them.

With that said, I think it's extremely stupid of someone like McCarron to be calling PM a cheater, sound childish at best. I don't agree with what he's doing, but it's not cheating. If someone disagrees he should go about it in a way that spur's Phill to do the right thing, not call name. As was said earlier, the PGA and RA were the ones who goofed up here. Phil, right or wrong, found a way to circumvent the situation.

i hear ya due, but PM's a professional golfer. his job is to win tournaments and if this club helps him do that, legally, then i just don't see a problem with it.

btw, who the hell's mcCarron anyway?

I think he's won 3 or 4 times on the tour, but has played for some time. Other than that I don't know much about him.

Prov., No, it's not illegal and to me it comes down to PM has all the right in the world to play them. That don't mean I have to agree, it's JMHO. The game of golf has a lot of area's where they have to make the right judgement call. The guy's who call foul on themselfs are the real deal to me. If Phil were to tug on a blade of grass and move his ball, I'm no longer sure he'd call it.

The Spirit of the Game:

1. Loose Impediment: takes 15 plus guys to move a boulder for TW
2. Long Putters: can be anchored to the body
3. Club House Roof: TW hits ball on the roof of the club house at Firestone, gets free drop

The rules are the rules. :confused2:

I say let them play whatever club/wedge they want. Doesn't Tiger use a 360cc driver that is not available to the public? Used irons that were only available to him at one time? It's done all over the tour the players for certain companies can use equipment that is only available to them and no one else, except other players associated with that manufacturer. The Ping Eye 2 wedges are available, they should go out and find some and use them. But honestly for most of them it wouldn't make that much difference as they weren't winning with the newer square grooves anyways.

Low class move by Phil. And I'm a huge fan of his.

Let's see, he comes out with a highly touted DVD one year, describing his secrets of the short game. Then the next year it turns out those skills are dependent on square grooves, to the point he desperately scrambles for 20 year old clubs in his garage. All the stories about spending hour after hour chipping as a kid as now worthless, as far as I'm concerned.

The long putter comparison is totally invalid. How many tour players have gone back and forth between square grooves and V grooves the past few years, undecided which works best for them? I'd propose the answer is zero. It's a regular occurrence with long putters, which are nothing more than a tinker toy for weak putters, scrambling for a boost in confidence. You can't put a long putter on a simulator and be startled at performance edge that translates to player after player. Meanwhile, Michael Breed provided the numerical reference point on his show last week. Conforming and non-conforming grooves performed similarly from fairway lies, roughly 8800 RPM. But out of light rough the conforming wedges plummeted to 2000-2800 RPMs, compared to the non-conforming at 7400.

Phil Mickelson wants no part of that 2000-2800 uncertainty. At 64 degrees he's spoiled himself to stab and stick. An extra foot or two here and there puts his new putting style under increased pressure. Don't believe for a second the nonsense that Phil is not doing this for advantage, but to make a point about the rule. With Tiger out, Phil has all the spotlight he'd ever need. He could blab about the rule day and night and the media would gobble it up.

Instead, he cheats. McCarron chose exactly the proper term. And more players will speak out.

Cheating means breaking the rules. Lefty isn't breaking the rules. He's not cheating. I agree that it's not in the spirit of the rules though. And the USGA should close that loophole.

I also think the long putter comarison is is eactly right. And the USGA should close that loophole too.

But no matter what you think, this is not what the PGA needed when Tiger is out (and down) and Lefty is the number 1 player competing.

Low class move by Phil. And I'm a huge fan of his.

Let's see, he comes out with a highly touted DVD one year, describing his secrets of the short game. Then the next year it turns out those skills are dependent on square grooves, to the point he desperately scrambles for 20 year old clubs in his garage. All the stories about spending hour after hour chipping as a kid as now worthless, as far as I'm concerned.

The long putter comparison is totally invalid. How many tour players have gone back and forth between square grooves and V grooves the past few years, undecided which works best for them? I'd propose the answer is zero. It's a regular occurrence with long putters, which are nothing more than a tinker toy for weak putters, scrambling for a boost in confidence. You can't put a long putter on a simulator and be startled at performance edge that translates to player after player. Meanwhile, Michael Breed provided the numerical reference point on his show last week. Conforming and non-conforming grooves performed similarly from fairway lies, roughly 8800 RPM. But out of light rough the conforming wedges plummeted to 2000-2800 RPMs, compared to the non-conforming at 7400.

Phil Mickelson wants no part of that 2000-2800 uncertainty. At 64 degrees he's spoiled himself to stab and stick. An extra foot or two here and there puts his new putting style under increased pressure. Don't believe for a second the nonsense that Phil is not doing this for advantage, but to make a point about the rule. With Tiger out, Phil has all the spotlight he'd ever need. He could blab about the rule day and night and the media would gobble it up.

Instead, he cheats. McCarron chose exactly the proper term. And more players will speak out.

man i would be very interested in what you'd have to say about players you are not a fan of... lolz

man i would be very interested in what you'd have to say about players you are not a fan of... lolz

Now that's FUNNY :

I think Mr. McCarron may have done something that we don't do in my neck of the woods. That's wake up a sleeping dog, cause he might just bite you in the butt :angry:

The clubs are legal & that's the end of it. Personally I think Phil is using them just to show the ruling body how asinine their rule is.

I tend to agree with Phil in that the rules are black and white and the wedge is legal. As Phil said, end of story.

Back