John Daly Meltdown?

Sodakrep

Reaction score
Handicap
Did anybody watch John Daly post a horrible score yesterday. After the triple bogey I started to feel bad for him. He made some impressive puts for par, if he hadn't who knows how ugly it might have gotten. Hopefully it was a bad day if not, maybe he should give up some TV screen time for the range and figure out his approach shots.

Did anybody watch John Daly post a horrible score yesterday. After the triple bogey I started to feel bad for him. He made some impressive puts for par, if he hadn't who knows how ugly it might have gotten. Hopefully it was a bad day if not, maybe he should give up some TV screen time for the range and figure out his approach shots.

he def. struggled. you could see it all over his game. i felt bad for him. he really needs to get it figured it out. he's riding the sponsor exemption train isn't he?

he is riding the exemption train and if he doesn't improve i can't see more sponsors filling spots with him, or his game at this point.

he hit some poor approach shots and was blistering putts by the hole. looked to me like he needed a good, long smoke break, or some food or something.

Hopefully he can figure something out soon...it's not looking good for him being on the big tour for much longer.

He's still one of the top draws as far as ticket sales go, which of course does not much for most of his competitors. That in itself should keep him in a few tournaments. If not, there is always the Euro tour which I am watching right now. :clapp:

John Daly just had an interview in which he said he is DONE with golf. Is this typical John Daly? A publicity stunt for his reality show? Or is he just frustrated and speaking his mind?

John Daly just had an interview in which he said he is DONE with golf. Is this typical John Daly? A publicity stunt for his reality show? Or is he just frustrated and speaking his mind?

Who knows. I hope its just venting and not true because I do like him, for better or worse.

My first memory of watching golf was watching him win the British with my dad on my yearly visit to see him, so, I've got a sentimental memory attached to him I suppose.

I'm tired of the Daly show, he is a washed up & will never again be a force to be reckoned with on the course.

I'm tired of the Daly show, he is a washed up & will never again be a force to be reckoned with on the course.

I agree. He became a sideshow a long time ago.

he doesn't help his sideshow cause with those ridiculous pants he wears either.

I saw that. Perhaps he was just venting. I hope so. Too many golfing folks can identify with him.

What was pathetic was some of those the talking heads who in the past have complained that JD was wasting space that other deserving players should have. Then after he decides he is not competitive anymore, and should not be taking the place of more deserving players, they reverse their tunes. :banghead:

Well, for better or worse, I still believe in him. He has more talent than 90% of the guys out there on tour. I think you need to get to the Tigers, Phils, Ernies and Retiefs of the world to find people with more genuine talent for hitting a golf ball than JD. They're few and far between. I really hope JD sticks it out and comes back again. When he's on his game, he's more exciting to watch than anyone who's appeared in the last 10 years and that's why he's still a big draw and gets the exemptions. That and people like me will still watch him. :bananadance:

Well, for better or worse, I still believe in him. He has more talent than 90% of the guys out there on tour. I think you need to get to the Tigers, Phils, Ernies and Retiefs of the world to find people with more genuine talent for hitting a golf ball than JD. They're few and far between. I really hope JD sticks it out and comes back again. When he's on his game, he's more exciting to watch than anyone who's appeared in the last 10 years and that's why he's still a big draw and gets the exemptions. That and people like me will still watch him. :bananadance:
Except he is hardly ever on his game. He's missed the cut 18 times and had 2 withdraws in his last 27 majors he has played in. He's had a 15th, a 27th and a coule of 32nd place finishes. He's missed the cut in almost 200 of 429 tournaments heading into this year. Five wins.

I liked Daly a lot when he first burst on the scene. But it's gotten really old lately.

I saw the interview this morning from yesterday I will say the man appears to be hurting. It does look like he has lost it and it can be said that he brought some of it on himself with his abuses, but nonetheless it's sad to see what has become of his skills. I hope for his sake he is able to find a way back healthy in both body & spirit, as it would be a plus for the tour.

Its all over the media that he is def. callit it quits...we'll see!!

We'll just have to wait and see. It's a hard life that very few of us could even fathom. We can all specualte on what JD needs just the same as we speculate on Tiger and his problems. If Daly still has the desire. he will make a legit comeback. If the desire has been beaten out of him, we won't. It's a very simple thing.
I personally hope he does come back, but I also had hopes of David Duval returning to form, and numerous others that have had it and then disappeared.

i actually like JD...
i think they had a point when they were breaking down his swing...
he was much heavier when his swing was "working" and now that he's slimmer his timing is way off... i think if he had the right coach he could get back on track... that and a good shrink cuz i think his head isnt on right... if it ever was

Daly will be back in a few weeks, he has said himself he is broke, where else will he make the $$$ he can out on the course?

He can't quit...yet. His manager says he has prior commitments he has to take care first. I know he has a at least a few sponsor's exemptions coming up. Besides if he quits, his GC show will put a few folks behind the 8 ball I would imagine.

I thought it was kind of funny when they were interviewing his caddy. His caddy said he hoped he would be back because he did not want to be known as the looper who caddied Daly from the game.

Daly will be back, this is just the usual side show with him. Hell I quit playing golf at least once a week. Besides what other marketable skills does he have? He already tried selling autographs and pictures at tournaments he wasn't playing in, we all know how well that worked for him.

He is not quitting, it was just him blowing off steam after 2 days of bad golf and having a microphone shoved in his face immediately afterward. He has put a statement out on his facebook page that he will continue to play this year in the tournaments where he already has sponsor exemptions and will continue to seek out other exemptions if needed.

Daly will be back in a few weeks, he has said himself he is broke, where else will he make the $$$ he can out on the course?
I think the problem is that when he misses the cut, he isn't in the money, so he ends up having to take a loss on the trip. I doubt he's getting appearance fees.

i actually like JD...
i think they had a point when they were breaking down his swing...
he was much heavier when his swing was "working" and now that he's slimmer his timing is way off... i think if he had the right coach he could get back on track... that and a good shrink cuz i think his head isnt on right... if it ever was

I think you're definitely on the money with the weight loss/timing idea. But I also think it's interesting that you mention the "shrink" part as well. I think JD realizes that losing all that weight physically affected his swing and I think he knows that's basically a mechanical issue. But I also wonder if he thinks that losing the weight also was a sort of farewell to his identity and that's what's bugging him even more.

He's a very insecure guy and his physical appearance is as much about "who he is" as his over the top backswing. Now that he's made all these changes, he may be suffering from a sort of "buyer's remorse" and this new person he's become scares the hell out of him.

Whatever is going on, I'm pullin' for him and I hope he stays in the game!

-JP

Back